GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Save the handheld market!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/10/02 at 15:27
Regular
ok, first 1 thing. i do not mean to offend nin(i)tendo fans,that i would do in the xbox forum.

Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a) the gamecubes the only console without broadband b)they have now lost rare c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles and d)there just lost tons of cash(see news). Now, first time i relized this, i jumped with joy. then i came to relize that if nin(i)tendo go bust there will be no handheld companies left. handheld consoles are as we all know are very fun, in the car plane, home(if its a decent game), so what to do? well the only other still functional handheld company is SEGA. now, put aside the fact that i am a SEGA fan, and think how a gamegear 2 sounds. now get all the games you can with the beutiful SEGA logo on it. Panzer dragoon orta, super monker ball advance, headhunter or sonic battle, depending on what console you have. then sega may consider a handheld console, prehaps even a gamegear 2....
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:42
Regular
Bartender I do like our chats you are a funny guy.

Firstly I doubt very much that is takes thousands of hours to produce a game for the GBA lets face it the original PC doom on my old 486 is better than the GBA version, the screen it appauling and the graphics not much better, all you need is some SNES programming software and you too could make GBA games (PS1 quality in your hand don't make me laugh).

Then there is the sale of Rare why are all you Fanboys so excited about the Starfox game made by Rare if the quality was not to the standard that Nintendo wanted after all they are happy to have dodgy ports like NFS and SSX tricky.

I rest my case next please.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:38
Regular
Handheld - that will be the GBA then.
Unlike full size consoles, there really is only 1 out there. GBA is falling behind my expectations. Some games do look better than others. But most look to be very cartoony. The colours in the game look painted on. Looks more like my old pc from years ago with only 256 colours. Why can't it's games have a more realistic, more glossy appearance, with more natural colours?
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:31
i remember when i got my first gemeboy for christmas, about 6-7 years ago... it was great back then, but very old fassioned now...
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:30
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Nintendo is a company with vision and many loyal customers, it will not dissapear overnight..certainally not within the lifetime of the GameCube.
It remains to be seen how successfull each company will be transitioning to their next console, and how they adapt their games to the online community... that is the real challenge, and where companies will win or fail.

As far as I can see all the Big 3 players have great consoles and games at this present moment.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:20
"Darkness, always"
Top score wrote:
> Could Nintendo be in trouble for the price of the games for there
> handhelds which are still £34.99 for a top title I mean lets
> face it for that price you would expect about 3 games.

So you expect a game that requires thousands of man hours to develop to sell for around £11.50? I surely need not remind you that games developers aren't unpaid volunteer workers or people working ex-cons serving community service. These people charge hundreds of pounds per DAY to work on games. And consider the value you get from a game retailing at £30. tens or sometimes hundreds of hours entertainment, compared to a DVD, which may offer 2 hours every 6 months.

Top score wrote:
> If Nintendo are not in financial trouble and they have made loads of
> dosh why would they want to sell 49% of there rare share that makes
> sense not.

The sale of Rare was due to a number of factors:

1) the quality of their games was falling sharply
2) the length of time their games took to develop was rising sharply
3) Microsoft offered a quote above the market price for tired, used developers
4) Rare no longer shared Nintendo's vision, and so the two weren't in as stable a working relationship as in the past.

Simple really. Nintendo are loaded.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:05
Regular
"Festivus!"
wam_man wrote:
> Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a)
> the gamecubes the only console without broadband

Sorry, but it does have broadband, the adapters were released a couple of weeks ago in America, so they should be over here soon.

> b)they have now lost rare

Lost? they had the option to buy them but have let them go to M$ for hundreds of millions of dollars

> c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles

Actually, it is coming second in sales most months, and with a strong line - up, it'll be up there

> d)there
> just lost tons of cash(see news).

And they've got loads more!
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:59
Regular
Could Nintendo be in trouble for the price of the games for there handhelds which are still £34.99 for a top title I mean lets face it for that price you would expect about 3 games.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:55
Regular
If Nintendo are not in financial trouble and they have made loads of dosh why would they want to sell 49% of there rare share that makes sense not.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:50
Regular
"He's back"
soz a crap jk is da ninitendo. and i also didnt no bout da broadband slot. so soz, but hey, it could still happen.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:47
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
wam_man wrote:
> Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a)
> the gamecubes the only console without broadband

Gamecube is like the PS2 you will be able to buy a broadband adapter for it. There is a gap under the console for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.