GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Save the handheld market!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/10/02 at 15:27
Regular
ok, first 1 thing. i do not mean to offend nin(i)tendo fans,that i would do in the xbox forum.

Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a) the gamecubes the only console without broadband b)they have now lost rare c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles and d)there just lost tons of cash(see news). Now, first time i relized this, i jumped with joy. then i came to relize that if nin(i)tendo go bust there will be no handheld companies left. handheld consoles are as we all know are very fun, in the car plane, home(if its a decent game), so what to do? well the only other still functional handheld company is SEGA. now, put aside the fact that i am a SEGA fan, and think how a gamegear 2 sounds. now get all the games you can with the beutiful SEGA logo on it. Panzer dragoon orta, super monker ball advance, headhunter or sonic battle, depending on what console you have. then sega may consider a handheld console, prehaps even a gamegear 2....
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:27
Regular
"He's back"
ok, first 1 thing. i do not mean to offend nin(i)tendo fans,that i would do in the xbox forum.

Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a) the gamecubes the only console without broadband b)they have now lost rare c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles and d)there just lost tons of cash(see news). Now, first time i relized this, i jumped with joy. then i came to relize that if nin(i)tendo go bust there will be no handheld companies left. handheld consoles are as we all know are very fun, in the car plane, home(if its a decent game), so what to do? well the only other still functional handheld company is SEGA. now, put aside the fact that i am a SEGA fan, and think how a gamegear 2 sounds. now get all the games you can with the beutiful SEGA logo on it. Panzer dragoon orta, super monker ball advance, headhunter or sonic battle, depending on what console you have. then sega may consider a handheld console, prehaps even a gamegear 2....
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:32
"Darkness, always"
a) all three consoles have online plans, the only one of which believes that the plans will win or lose the console is Microsoft's XBOX.

b) they have SOLD Rare, for a ton of cash.

c) GC is being outsold by the PS2 alone, but is still selling in respectable numbers itself. Certainly, enough to build a worthwhile user base.

d) this is largely offset (see point b), and besides which, Nintendo have a HUGE amount of yen handy for just such occaisions.

Nintendo are in no danger of going bust.

Christ, their shares go for £66 EACH!!
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
wam_man wrote:
> ok, first 1 thing. i do not mean to offend nin(i)tendo fans,that i
> would do in the xbox forum.
>
> Right, my theory is that nintendo will eventually go bust because a)
> the gamecubes the only console without broadband

The gamecube doesn;t yet have broadband as there is not wide enough demand. There are alot of people who are unable to get broadband. If you knew anything you would know that the GC has some expansion slots on the bottom. One of em for a 56k modem and one for a broadband modem.

b)they have now lost
> rare

And?? Ok rare were good but they are not the only brilliant developer out there. Do not forget nintendo themselves.

c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles

??? how is it losing out? yes mabey to the PS2 which has been around for an age and have GTA games. But with each game nintendo release (the classic ones) GC sales shoot up.

d)there
> just lost tons of cash(see news).

£100 mil is NOTHING. Since mario was first created in 1981 he has made $10,000,000,000. The money from the rare sale can easily pay that fine.

Now, first time i relized this, i
> jumped with joy. then i came to relize that if nin(i)tendo

Why on earth is there a (i) in the word Nintendo???

go bust
> there will be no handheld companies left. handheld consoles are as we
> all know are very fun, in the car plane, home(if its a decent game),
> so what to do?

The BG controls 99% of the handheld market in the USA. Will probly be the same in europe and mabey a bit less in japan. Nintendo are making ALOT of money from the GB.

well the only other still functional handheld company
> is SEGA. now, put aside the fact that i am a SEGA fan, and think how a
> gamegear 2 sounds. now get all the games you can with the beutiful
> SEGA logo on it. Panzer dragoon orta, super monker ball advance,
> headhunter or sonic battle, depending on what console you have. then
> sega may consider a handheld console, prehaps even a gamegear 2....

Nintendos handheld domination is unlikly to ever fade. Sega are doing well as a 2nd party developer. *shrugs*

Ignorant Newbie :)
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:47
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
wam_man wrote:

Gamecube is like the PS2 you will be able to buy a broadband adapter for it. There is a gap under the console for it.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:50
Regular
"He's back"
soz a crap jk is da ninitendo. and i also didnt no bout da broadband slot. so soz, but hey, it could still happen.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:55
Regular
If Nintendo are not in financial trouble and they have made loads of dosh why would they want to sell 49% of there rare share that makes sense not.
Thu 31/10/02 at 15:59
Regular
Could Nintendo be in trouble for the price of the games for there handhelds which are still £34.99 for a top title I mean lets face it for that price you would expect about 3 games.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:05
Regular
"Festivus!"
wam_man wrote:

Sorry, but it does have broadband, the adapters were released a couple of weeks ago in America, so they should be over here soon.

> b)they have now lost rare

Lost? they had the option to buy them but have let them go to M$ for hundreds of millions of dollars

> c)there gamecube is losing out to other consoles

Actually, it is coming second in sales most months, and with a strong line - up, it'll be up there

> d)there
> just lost tons of cash(see news).

And they've got loads more!
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:20
"Darkness, always"
Top score wrote:
> Could Nintendo be in trouble for the price of the games for there
> handhelds which are still £34.99 for a top title I mean lets
> face it for that price you would expect about 3 games.

So you expect a game that requires thousands of man hours to develop to sell for around £11.50? I surely need not remind you that games developers aren't unpaid volunteer workers or people working ex-cons serving community service. These people charge hundreds of pounds per DAY to work on games. And consider the value you get from a game retailing at £30. tens or sometimes hundreds of hours entertainment, compared to a DVD, which may offer 2 hours every 6 months.

Top score wrote:
> If Nintendo are not in financial trouble and they have made loads of
> dosh why would they want to sell 49% of there rare share that makes
> sense not.

The sale of Rare was due to a number of factors:

1) the quality of their games was falling sharply
2) the length of time their games took to develop was rising sharply
3) Microsoft offered a quote above the market price for tired, used developers
4) Rare no longer shared Nintendo's vision, and so the two weren't in as stable a working relationship as in the past.

Simple really. Nintendo are loaded.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:30
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Nintendo is a company with vision and many loyal customers, it will not dissapear overnight..certainally not within the lifetime of the GameCube.
It remains to be seen how successfull each company will be transitioning to their next console, and how they adapt their games to the online community... that is the real challenge, and where companies will win or fail.

As far as I can see all the Big 3 players have great consoles and games at this present moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.