GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats Wrong With Nintendo's Charachters????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/10/00 at 17:16
Regular
for the last 15+years Nintendo have designed charachters that have had a childish appeal to them yet the content involved in the game is far from that, Zelda would cut people and shoot arrows in the evil eyes of his enemy! I don't know about you but I wouldn't let a kid loose on those areas, whereas when he rides on the horse it is perfect for a child, but it's not really worth spending £40 on for a little horse ride and some fairies, Pokemon was made for children and young teenages yet it's still really violent, my next door neighbour had hid rabbits fighting the other day, and threw an apple at it to make it do some attacks(pokemon snap) but he forgot his camera! (he's only young) mario stomped on his enemies heads and threw people around areas, not very loving really. Yet people still think that these games are made for kids, I don't know many children around 10 years old and under that could complete these games, Diddy Kong Racing has got to be one of the hardest, i still havn't completed the last level!
That might not mean that the game is scary but difficulty is not made for children, most young kids would cry and ask their mum and dad to complete it for them, saying "kill him, kill him, it's too hard daddy I want another game". etc. I hope you understand, but write back because I want to know what you think about this.
Sat 07/10/00 at 17:16
for the last 15+years Nintendo have designed charachters that have had a childish appeal to them yet the content involved in the game is far from that, Zelda would cut people and shoot arrows in the evil eyes of his enemy! I don't know about you but I wouldn't let a kid loose on those areas, whereas when he rides on the horse it is perfect for a child, but it's not really worth spending £40 on for a little horse ride and some fairies, Pokemon was made for children and young teenages yet it's still really violent, my next door neighbour had hid rabbits fighting the other day, and threw an apple at it to make it do some attacks(pokemon snap) but he forgot his camera! (he's only young) mario stomped on his enemies heads and threw people around areas, not very loving really. Yet people still think that these games are made for kids, I don't know many children around 10 years old and under that could complete these games, Diddy Kong Racing has got to be one of the hardest, i still havn't completed the last level!
That might not mean that the game is scary but difficulty is not made for children, most young kids would cry and ask their mum and dad to complete it for them, saying "kill him, kill him, it's too hard daddy I want another game". etc. I hope you understand, but write back because I want to know what you think about this.
Sat 07/10/00 at 18:17
Regular
Games characters aren't just for children. They appeal to children but I'll always like them.
The fact that they're cute just makes the game more fun to play, like relaxing after a Turok Rage Wars blood bath.
Sun 08/10/00 at 13:01
Regular
I liked Perfect Dark's, Mr Blonde he was evil ut cool.
Sun 08/10/00 at 13:01
Regular
Whoops missed out the b!
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:14
The thing is that people might think of them as childish because they don't go around blasting enemies to hundreds of gory pieces and painting the walls with blood... The thing is that all these Nintendo characters look cute and cuddly and non-violent on the outside, which make parents buy the games and censors give them no restrictions, but the characters use a lot of imagery to suggest horrible gory violence or things that would normally recieve a high certificate... For example, you can decapitate a skeleton in Zelda and laugh as he stumbles around the place without gore or any idea that this really is an unpleasant thing. Kids may think it is acceptable to kick a turtle, knocking it out of it's shell and then throw it's shell back at it killing it and perhaps some of it's friends, which is in essence similar to cutting off someone's arm and beating them to death with it. Okay so maybe that's an extreme comparison, but if you have spent many years growing up with this kind of part severage then you will probably think a lot less of the removal of body parts in the more violent adult games (like Soldier of Fortune)... So are we breeding children to become insensitive creatures who don't understand the bad parts of violence?
No not really, while a lot of people who hate violent films and computer games because they are a suitable scapegoat would have you believe otherwise we really aren't. Going back to the Mario shell throwing example, the first time you do it you throw the shell and it kills your opponents, but then it bounces back off a wall and kills you too... you have just learned of a consequence of violence... next time you know to avoid it, but you will always remember that it's quite possible that such things can kill you too. When you graduate into playing bigger gorier games you will probably see the same thing. In soldier of Fortune you can shoot off the limbs of a dead guy, but when you have finished putting bullets into him you go round the next corner and there are 5 enemies... damn you only got 4 shots left in your gun because you wasted them, such is the consequence of unnecessary violence. So these people who never play games and say that they put ideas of violence into gamers heads without consequence are wrong. In GTA killing a few innocents will get the police on you, and in GTA2 it will become the army at which point you are most likely a goner. So you prepare to deal with the army by setting up a car right next to your spray shop and find a route that takes you near very few roads if possible. The army get on your case (say as part of a mission) and you go for the spray shop, but when you reach it the car has gone and you are soon killed while looking for a cop bribe or anything. You learn that any plan can go wrong and that committing crimes can lead to your death or arrest. The critics would say that all this leads to is the losing of a life which you can get back later, but no one is really stupid enough to think that anyone has multiple lives and that they can afford to get killed a few times.
Hmm, I think I left the topic behind somewhere.... There's nothing wrong with Nintendo's characters, and may they continue to produce good quality games (Unlike DK64 which was too easy and could have been so much better).
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:16
Regular
DK64 easy? I found it quite a challenge!
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:22
Which part? finding the bananas or getting them?
And why? Unusual puzzles? explain...
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:43
Regular
Well all the banana searching, the huge worlds and going back to world over and over again.
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:44
Isn't that just time consuming?
I suppose in a sense it oculd be said to be difficult but overall it's easier than it should be...
Sun 08/10/00 at 19:10
well gronti, I don't know how you did it, but you had an argument with yourself and lost theplot and became insane.
I was playing Gex64:Enter the Gecko, this game might seem cute and cuddly as the gecko dresses up in rabbit costumes and bond outfits but some of the enemies you face are blood thirsty and completely crazy about blood and gore, you have undead zombies that don't stop until they have killed you, ghosts that throw their heads at you, and ninjas that try and slice and dice with samori swords. All in a days work for an undercover gecko.
Diddy Kong on the other hand is far from violent, the worst thing is where Wizpig farts some green poisonous gas from his a$$.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.