GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"English, motherfunners, do you speak it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/03/02 at 21:16
Regular
English, for those unaware, is the official language of the Internet, not "NetSpeak", or "TxtSpeak", or any language at all which has almost all puncuation and capital letters removed and contains unnecessary abbrieviations, like "for/4". "to/2", "because/coz" and suchlike. It's not cool, it's not efficient, it just makes you look retarded. Here is this paragraph converted into NetSpeak, look at how stupid it is:

english 4 those unaware is teh official language of teh internet not "netspeak" or "txtspeak" or ne language @ all wich has almost all puncuation and capital letters removed and contains unnecessary abbrieviations like "for/4". "to/2" "because/coz" and suchlike. its not cool its not efficient it just makes u look retarded. here is this paragraph converted into netspeak look @ how stupid it is:

Get my point? Now, I'm no master of English myself, and I'm not having a dig at people who genuinely can't spell some words or miss out letters/punctuation through typos, because that's natural. However, there are some people (mostly newbies) who blatently aren't trying at all. In fact, I think they try *TO* make it like that. While I was writing the program that converts English->Retardspeak, I had to think long and hard about some replacements I could make. How do you newbies learn to write like this?

The thing is, this form of language does have its place, mainly in text messages (due to the word limit) and live conversations, like in IRC or MSN. However, it does NOT belong in a forum, where there is no word or time limits, and everything goes at a steady pace. All it does is make your post harder to read, which reduces your credibilty and also makes people less likely to read them. It's also a known fact that if Ali can't be bothered to decode your carefully written and constructed post, he won't consider it for a GAD.

Once again: I'm not having a go at genuine mistakes, this is just a message to (frankly idiotic) people who writ lik dis, to just take a little bit more time when writing your message, so people will actually read it and take you much more seriously. Frankly, if you write like in NetSpeak, it just makes you look 6 years old.
Sat 23/03/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Hmmm....."
yeah,
i hate netspeak too,
i hate it on text messages when someone sends me a message and i have to ring them up to ask what they said meens.

and someones even brought out them little books which tell you how you should shorten your words............ have you seen them?
its just stupid
Sat 23/03/02 at 18:41
Regular
"That's right!"
Stryke wrote:
> Hey! I'm called Gaz.

-----------

Sorry, I didn't know you were like that, if I'd known I would never have called you a newbie basher...

*feels sorry for Stryke*
Sat 23/03/02 at 18:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Gawd, I detest "NetSpeak." NetSpeak, aka shortened speech for twonks who are either too lazy to type properly or are just plain stupid.

If I talk to someone from school (apart from Darkness_2k) I'll always be 'strange' to them because I write "you" instead of "u."

Bahh.
Sat 23/03/02 at 14:54
Regular
Short for Gareth, actually.

But true, most peple with G do get shortened to Gaz.
Sat 23/03/02 at 14:46
Regular
"relocated"
Yup, I can't understand a damn word these youngsters say. Bring back the cane I say.
Sat 23/03/02 at 14:32
Stryke wrote:
> Hey! I'm called Gaz. Judgemental p***k. :-)

Sorry, I was trying to modernise the phrase "Tom, Dick and Harry" seeing as they are less common names now (well, maybe not Tom, but I got carried away).

Besides which, I don't belive "Gaz" is your actual name. If it appears on your birth certificate then fair enough, but come now I bet its short for Gerald isn't it?

:-)
Sat 23/03/02 at 10:26
Regular
Couldn't agree with you more

I am fed up with people writing in lower case or without proper grammar, it's just annoying.
Fri 22/03/02 at 22:27
Regular
Hey! I'm called Gaz. Judgemental p***k. :-)
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:53
Netspeak is something that has flourished with the popularity of computers.
Before, computers were considered geeky - useful in business and such - but ultimately, the home unit was for nerds and geeks who spent there entire existence staring at a monitor.

However, computers are now a widely accepted piece of hardware becoming as common as the TV and/ or video. So now we have every Tez, Daz, and Gaz sitting at a computer, using it as a valid method of communication.

This is were the problem occurs.

Gerald, our hypothetical geek, is as literate as he is computer literate and thus can cope with conversing at pace using words from our beloved English dictionary.
However, in a world were emphasis is put on the "speed" of communication, how can poor Tez, Daz or Gaz hope to keep up, not only have they got to cope with the spelling of words, but the device they've been given to spell these words on (i.e. the keyboard) makes no sense. Even if they knew what letter they were looking for, they still need a further 10 minutes to locate it.

txtspk spds thngs up 4 them.
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:46
Regular
"That's right!"
The X-Box is very big, and is probably quite heavy. The PS2 is very good

I'll give it a go

The xbbox is HUUUGE!!!11111 its abrick, dead heavy!!!111
PS2 ownz u all!!!1111

There you go, nice and newbified

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.