GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vice City: 9 hours played, 11% complete & a few thoughts on the game!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
Well, after getting GTA Vice City last Wednesday, I have so far clocked up about 8-9 hours play, most of which was this weekend. Just didn’t have time in the week with work and all! To be honest it would have been more but Tony Hawk 4 is very distracting indeed – the levels are huge and very well designed! Anyway, I never really played GTA3 much, but have no problems proclaiming Vice City to be the best PS2 game this year – here are a couple of reasons why. DON’T WORRY, NO SPOILERS…

1) Motorbikes – the handling is excellent, from the nippy mopeds (called ‘Faggio’) to the more power PCJ 600 they are all amazing! And nothing beats popping a wheelie down the main beachfront ‘strip’ of Vice City.

2) The in game music. Whoever had the idea to license real 80’s songs should be made a director of RockStar – utter genius. Driving through Little Havana while listening to ‘Cars’ by Gary Newman, or ‘Atomic’ by Blondie, or even ‘tempted by the fruit of another’ by Squeeze (I think) is just soooo cool.

3) The radio stations. Vrock is pure class, with Lazlo doing his best to sound like a hard drinking, fast living rocker, the guy is just as funny as he was in GTA3. Plus Fernando Martinez is back, he has his own radio show on a station called Emotion – some good songs on here and he’s still trying to sell the same ‘love’ (or pimping) ideals as before!

4) Being able to buy new property. I have just bought a plush two-story pad in the Southeast of the city, complete with pool and garage. You can also buy a nightclub (called the Malibu club) and a strip joint. Not allows to buy these yet, and haven’t got the cash anyway. ;-)

5) The new weapons. Far to many to mention, but the screwdriver, katana and hammer are all cool. The hammer is also very good for smashing up cars! The guns a also cool, and with an assault rifle you can use a first person view to take enemies out. Weapons like guns and stuff can be bought from Ammunation, and the more household style weapons can be bought from a shop called ‘Screw this’ – class!

6) THE CHAINSAW! Wow, cool or what. Only had this once, you are given it quite early on in the game as asked to go a take someone out with it (saying no more so I don’t spoil it) and you keep it after the mission. Unfortunately I got busted and lost it. However, it’s just so cool man. You can’t take limbs off as I initially thought, but you can take heads of and once you’ve downed someone, you can attack them on the ground! Tommy plunges the chainsaw into the guy lying on the ground in a flurry of blood and sparks as the chainsaw rips through the person and onto the tarmac. Amazing stuff.

7) The missions. Much better than GTA3, with more variety and some clever tasks. Fly above the city in a chopper, which your mate (Lance Vance) is flying, while you attack with the huge gat gun is a good example of how varied the missions are.

8) Being able to go inside shops. Go into a fast food restaurant and buy a meal to boost your health. Go into the shopping mall and take out some shoppers with an Uzi, go into the nightclub and cause some trouble. Very cool.

9) Speeding along on a motorbike and then bailing off the back then watching the motorbike speed on into a group of pedestrians! The same can be done with cars and if you get the car on fire first, the ensuing explosion in the midst of a crowd is so sweet!

10) The loading sequence! Before you even get to the game, the titles or even the intro, RockStar North’s class really shines through. The initial load sequence will being memories flooding back to anyone who ever loaded a game on a C64 back in the day. And I never thought I’d see the phrases - ‘Press play on tape’ and ‘searching’ again! Just wait guys, it’s sooo cool!

The only problems are a few issues with the spooling of the textures from the DVD, if you drive through the city fast and have a radio station on, the game can have problems loading the texture in quick enough and you even get a ‘loading’ message sometimes as the game catches up. Doesn’t really spoil it, but annoying non-the-less. But this could be because I have a US import – dunno! Hmmm, and other than that I guess you could say that there aren’t enough gun/hardware shops, but that’s being very, very picky ;-)

Any questions, that you’d like to know, fire away.

A truly great game! RockStar, you should be saluted. A job very well done.
Mon 04/11/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Ach, I can't play it because I only have a PC and a PS1. Stop teasing me......
Mon 04/11/02 at 13:51
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:

a couple of weeks ago i finally got hold of a UK test PS2
> machine, which plays all regions -

Damn double phoney :-Ž
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:10
"You love us!"
cipro wrote:
> I read somewhere you can even decorate you're own houses and choose
> which clothes to wear so you can escape better from the cops, is this
> true?
>
> Also back playing GTA3 the rest of the week, just in anticipation for
> Vice City's release, it's going to be ace.

Hmm, not sure about the 'decorate you're own house' bit - not saying you can't do this, but i certainly have not been able to do this, or even see how i could do it. Dunno, when i bought my one and only (so far) property you can go inside but only to save, this is the same as the hotel you start in - this ones one on the main strip of Vice City and is basically your hideout until you have enough cash to get a better one. you can't decorate this either. So i'd say no, but i will check tonight.

Yes you can change clothes, and yes when you do, your wanted level goes down. However, your outfits aren't just at your hideouts! For example, you start in a blue Hawaiian shirt, blue jeans and white trainers, but on one of the very first missions you are told to get some new clothes from a shop called Rafaels, this outfit is your Miami Vice style suit, blue pastel colour with dark loafers, and no socks, of course.
Now if you want to change back into your original outfit you’ll have to head back to the first safe house, which is a hotel on the main strip, and go up into your room. Here you’ll find an icon which when touched will change you back to the original outfit. If you want to change back into the Miami Vice outfit, you gotta’ head back to Rafaels and the icon to change is outside. So far I have the two outfits mentioned above, plus a workman’s outfit and a golfing outfit – both were used as part of a missions and once the mission is complete the outfits can be used in the future. You can change into the workman’s out fit by going to the north mall, heading inside and going to the hardware shop. The golf outfit is found, not surprisingly, at the golf club. Basically, I guess the idea is to have the outfits dotted around the city so If you need to change and get rid of the cops, you’ve never to far away from a change.
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:11
Regular
"..."
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> Well, after getting GTA Vice City last Wednesday,

Simon, you are a scumbag. I hate you.

:)
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:13
"You love us!"
Darkus wrote:
> Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> Well, after getting GTA Vice City last Wednesday,
>
> Simon, you are a scumbag. I hate you.
>
> :)

Thanks Markos, love you lots to!

Si
-x-
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:14
Regular
"..."
Its gonna be the one game I actually buy this year! Are you proud of me!
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:20
"You love us!"
Yeah very proud! Well done markos! Will you be able to find your PS2 under the dust, it must have been a while since you used it, what with you CS addiction :-)

To be honest, you won't need any other game if you get VC, there is just so much to it. Did you have a C64 Markos, or a speccy for that matter, just wait till you checkout the loading sequence, the coolest thing i have seen for a long time dude.
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:22
Regular
"..."
Yep, My PS2 is hidden in a wardrobe somewhere. I hope it still works..An i had an Amstrad CPC 464, but i do remember the speccy load up sequences... :)
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:24
Regular
"  "
Maybe by decorating it means grabbing someones head before ramming it into a wall, sliding the bleeding head down the wall smearing arteries and veins all over the place before adding a slight wee wee tint to finish it off.

Damn this anticipation. Its making me violent.... grrrr! AVE IT!
Mon 04/11/02 at 14:29
"You love us!"
Darkus wrote:
> Yep, My PS2 is hidden in a wardrobe somewhere. I hope it still
> works..An i had an Amstrad CPC 464, but i do remember the speccy load
> up sequences... :)

yeah, what a gutter that would be if it didn't work! Well if you remember the Speccy load up, it'll be a nice nostalga trip when VC loads ;-)

Hmm, you should have the game soon shouldn't you. Surely you'll be getting the game in pretty soon, wednesday usually ins't it? So you can get em ready for Firday. Im sure you'll be able to wangle a copy once the warehosue has 'em won't ya - or are they all pre-ordered and no left for staff?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.