GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How you play?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/11/02 at 15:52
Regular
Are you a boring all fart? The all out action hero? The racer who can see the line and take every car on every bend to get up front? The striker who can score from 30 yards after an amazing dribble? The strategically mousier? Or just the normal guy who plays threw the game any old how?

It’s no secret that these days there are more gaming genres out there on the market than there are in the film industry. Think of a subject and type of game and there is more than likely something out there that matches it. So what does this all mean? Well, many, many games give us the chance to do something and maybe get the experience of doing something in a game that never in our lifetime we would have been able to have done before. You have the likes of GT to give you that simulation of racing where you are dropped in the driving seat, and asked to take the corners with sheer precision to get threw to the next race. You then have the other sport games that let you take part in sports that you would never try out before…not many of us can surf of example. You then get your survival horrors like Silent Hill and the Resi games, not forgetting the stealth/action games like Hitman and MGS and many others. All these give us the chance to be in the shoes of something, or someone else. But with this, there is one main question, do you take advantage of this, and more importantly:

How do you play?

The whole point of the simulation series in games is exactly that, to give us the chance to play out a scenario as it would be done in real life (if that was to occur…the chances of running from the walking dead are slim at that). For example, a recently new game known as Hitman 2 was released. This game gave us the chance to become a Hitman, and with that, all the responsibilities of one. This was one of the few games that gives you a choice how you play it. You either go for stealth, or all out action madness blowing up everyone and everything in site. It’s all down to your taste and how you want to go about your business. And this was one of the first games that gives you the choice to do so.

The truth is we all play our games in our own ways, it all comes down to the person. Its not always a case that a person changes there game plan to suit the game, some people play all they games in the same genre the same way, its just as likely that someone will play the likes of GT as an arcade racer, and still complete it just as the player will who spends hours perfecting the games every corners inch perfect. The same goes for the likes of MGS and Hitman. These games are really made to be played threw using the stealth way of gaming, taking things slow, judging the enemies movements before silently taking them out. But again, you can still play threw the games with all guns blazing and finish it with a pretty good rating at the end of the game.

In the end, it all comes down to your very own personality to how you play the games. Some of us will act like a professional on these games, imagining that we are this very person in the game, and try to do everything as our film idols would on the big screen. The rest of us more than likely fly threw the games any old how just so we reach the final part of that level, and in the end finish the game. Both are very acceptable ways threw the game, but we have to ask ourselves (forgetting all the money issues), are we letting the developers down here?

If the average game takes a year or more to make, and then the really good games take even longer, like MGS2, that’s a hell of a lot of work. Developers have taken there time into getting the feel of the game just right, making sure that it fits the genre, and gives the player that chance to experience the topic of the game as best as possible on a console. After hours of slugging away at their desks, they finally get the coding right, the game plays a dream and the developers are pleased with what they had got. So if you take the likes of Hitman and GT3, games that had been in development for sometime to get the feel and game play right, they hit the shelves and the developers are pretty pleased that they had got the simulation of driving and stealthy ness just right, after all that work.

But then, is that work thrown back in there face?

As soon as the people get the game home, some play it like it was meant to be played, but others don’t. They get the game home and try to rush through it as soon as possible, instead of being stealthy they run out with there machines guns like a Die Hard film, or race around the track like Britain’s worse driver. After all the developers time and work, these games soon end up on the second hand shelves on the markets and town shops once the gamer has finished and had enough.

Is that right? On both you and the developers?

For one, that’s just disregarding all the work that’s been done by them to bring you the game they wanted you to play. There is the argument that yes, you did pay the money and therefore can play the game anyway that you like, but then, aren’t you just slapping yourself in the face? Having just spent £34:99 on a game I think I would like it to last me, but to buy it and then rush threw it seems a waste of time to me. So in the end, both parties could be getting the bad deal.

So, after all that, how you play could affect a number of things. But does any of that matter as long as you enjoyed playing the game your way?
Wed 06/11/02 at 16:57
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Well Done Pro Evo.

That was a great post worthy of a GAD ... as usual.
Wed 06/11/02 at 10:39
Regular
"  "
Never saw this post, but it was a great! Welldone on being a Weiner.
Wed 06/11/02 at 10:37
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Ohh, thanks for that SR. :D

Thanks for all the replies too.
Tue 05/11/02 at 23:24
Regular
AbsoluT Neó wrote:

> I guess what im tryng to say is that im a bit of a mixed gamer whom
> likes to take interest into games by playing them how they should be
> played - i.e. going deep into levels and finding mysterious secrets
> and fininshing levels, but then I also like to put on GTA 3 and
> whooping a few policemen just for the hell of it!

Thinking about it, would it be right to say that we all have a bit of a mixture of gaming style in us? I doubt that someone has played threw a game 'properly' everytime they have one, and visa versa.
Tue 05/11/02 at 16:02
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Sometime we play games and think why do people say this is a good game and I don't like it?

am I mad? (well in my case hohum....)

Swiftly moving on...

I do agree that games should be played in the way that the developer expected, because exploring a game can only make it better, there's nothing better than unlocking secrets, killing bosses in a game or finding solutions to frustrated issues..but this all takes time, frustation is a key in this case i.e. Crash Bandicoot can get one my nerves a lot of the time, I it's now sitting on my shelf because I couldn't be bothered to try for the 20th time to beat a boss, so I gave up... Im also not a "final fantasy person" probabaly because of the fighting sequences, but have I really given this game a chance? I seriously doubt it! but when it comes to the likes of MGS 2 I left everything as it was and began to complete it straight away, why?

I think what ssx said was true that it comes down to challenges and how you deal with them, but I also think that its challenges that you enjoy and have interest in that inspires you on, if the game is of interest to you and you are really into the story line then you will continue to try your hardest. Another example is PES 2, I love the game and can play on it for hours on end unlocking teams, players, commentry, buying all the world class players in the world but whats left after all that? Dont you just sometimes feel like playing a friendly game and trying different tips and tricks and trouncing the oppositions 13-0 and even sometimes for a laugh bring your goalie out taking on the whole team and scoring or even scoring some great own goals!

(No?...guess its only when ive had a few cans of Stella then)

:D

I guess what im tryng to say is that im a bit of a mixed gamer whom likes to take interest into games by playing them how they should be played - i.e. going deep into levels and finding mysterious secrets and fininshing levels, but then I also like to put on GTA 3 and whooping a few policemen just for the hell of it!
Tue 05/11/02 at 08:25
Regular
I found DOA2 to be a bit of a button basher too, in fact, you could often win fights with just using the kick button with some of the characters, not the best way to play, but more than possible...but that game was more about the graphics....right?
Mon 04/11/02 at 23:06
Regular
Pro Evo wrote:
> in a fit of Frenzy.

International Track and Field - one big fit of frenzy! Button bashing at its best, it was great fun that! It was what the game was meant for though, so by optimising your bashing, you were taking on the challenge. A friend of mine was so good at bashing that he could beat the hurdles world record without even jumping :D
Mon 04/11/02 at 23:02
Regular
"Touched!"
Whenever i play a game i'm not the type of person to play it any old way, i'll do it by the book so to speak, but i like to take my time with games and spread my playing time out of a short period of time, unfortunately i never have enough time to play the game i have and end up playing the newer one that i've bought so the old one never gets finished! i hate myself for doing it.
Some games i will want to complete 100% but others i just give up on and shove them back onto my shelf, it just depends on how frustrated i am at the time and wheter or not i enjoy the game anymore.
But like afro i'd probably say i'm a laid back lazy gamer, i like to go back to a lot of my old games, some i can't put down such as timesplitters and Pro Evo because they are so addictive. It just depends on which game i'm playing really.

Nice post!
Mon 04/11/02 at 23:01
Regular
Thats the way to do it! Take on everything, become the champion, impress the women, and take them back to your cave!

Though of course there's more to gaming than just attracting women. Its about learning to hunt for food as well. :D
Mon 04/11/02 at 22:58
Regular
Windowlicker wrote:

but from time2time its fun to have a button bash...

Thats true, its more out of frustration i find that though, especially on games like Hitman, where you have spent the best part of 5 minutes sneaking behind a man ready to choke him when he turns round and fills your body full of lead....always nice to bring out the M16 in a fit of Frenzy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.