GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Gamecube Vs Xbox Live"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/11/02 at 01:26
Regular
Yes, i know this a Nintendo forum, but it would be interesting to hear peoples views on the above.

I myself have both a gamecube and an Xbox.

I also have Broadband internet at home, so im already halfway there.
Now, the main problem is, which to get?
do i get one or both?

Xbox live is sounding more and more impressive as the days go on, but, remember this is Microsoft we are talking about!
Problems WILL be plentiful! LOL
They promise live chat to anyone in the world instantly, and also little or no slow down whatsoever!
Now, im not gonna sit here and list everything about it, because i dont want to go over what other people have already said.

I simply would like to know your views on gamecube broadband (or 56k) and Xbox live.
Will you be getting one or the other, or both?
and what games are you most looking forward to and why?

Post them below and let us all know.

TIA

i myself want to use Xbox live for Halo 2 and Project Gotham 2
but i also am eagerly awaiting my copy of phantasy star online to use with my broadband adaptor for US gamecube (its gathering dust at the minute), when the game finally gets shipped out!!
Delays, Delays, Delays!
apparently its a software bug.....blah blah blah!
Tue 05/11/02 at 22:44
Regular
Nintendo have always been a company about catering for everyone. If it means twenty-five percent of gamers will take advantage of the online services that consoles offer (which is probably the right amount), then Nintendo will put twenty-five percent of their effort into it. If it rises, Nintendo will become a bit more serious.

By concentrating almost completely on online play, Microsoft are adding another nail to their coffin. I heard somewhere that every single X-Box game released next year will be playable online, and that isn't really catering for everyone. Nintendo have a secure and promising online plan, and are keeping it that way, until it looks more profitable.
Tue 05/11/02 at 18:47
Regular
yeah

the £2.99 is a fee you may be required to pay to use the sega servers for PSO

they tried to charge for it on the Dremacast but got so much agro over it decided not to
i havent got my copy of the game yet, only the broadband adaptor, but as soon as i get it ill update and let you know if i have to pay or not
Tue 05/11/02 at 18:45
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> The £7 a month came from the USA people having a monthly fee of
> $9...
>
> Whats that all about then? The £2 thing?

This is about PSO by the way :)
Tue 05/11/02 at 18:42
Regular
The £7 a month came from the USA people having a monthly fee of $9...

Whats that all about then? The £2 thing?
Tue 05/11/02 at 18:35
Regular
ok, just to clarify, the dial up is not a st price yet.

sega do charge a fee of around £2.99 a month for using phantasy star online in some areas, thats for dial up.

as for broadband, im not sure where your getting the £7 from!
mine is a 1meg connection through Ntl and it costs £39.99 a month.

Yes, dial up means your phoneline gets used therefore you cannot use it to call out on, so you will need an extra line for that

Broadband plugs into the wall, but if you have Ntl cable internet you can plug it into a hub (cost about £15-£20 for a decent one) and piggyback it off onto your cable modem and then into the cable line.

Hope this helps
Tue 05/11/02 at 17:42
Regular
Time_Warp wrote:
> Do you just plug the GC one into your phoneline with all the bits and
> adaptor and use your own internet connection? I dont know much about
> it.

Well, If its like the dreamcast The 56k will use Either 2p a mintue deal or Use your own ISP...(I hope)

Broadband is using the Monthly Fee of (Hopelly £7 a month...)]

I've said this billions of times :D But with the broadband i think you plug into the wall, And you (Guessing) That you can't use the phone unlike the PCs
Tue 05/11/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
nintendo's dedication to home play suggests that they couldnt really give that much of a damn abot online, and with such rehashes as mario party online (whatll be the fun of playing mario party with people you dopnt know with just constant lols) and the already ageing pokemon ruby and saffire but that shows more hope for an online game than mario kart or party. Microsoft were always for the internet thing, and with the money that they have, it will work, and people will use it. t wll probably be the new selling points for the increasingly juicy dish of xbox
Tue 05/11/02 at 16:33
Regular
Wheres Savatt? This topics been here for more than 24 hours..
Tue 05/11/02 at 16:28
Do you just plug the GC one into your phoneline with all the bits and adaptor and use your own internet connection? I dont know much about it.
Tue 05/11/02 at 12:58
Regular
Hmm, if ninty would support that console networking thing it'd be good - get 4 cubes and tvs, everyone has their own screen, or each team has a screen. And it's be nice to see the high speed port put to some use.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.