GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ISP question please help :)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/07 at 21:11
Regular
"Hello?"
Hi, I am looking for a new ISP as my current ISP 'tiscali' are .... far from excellent. Basically I use the internet for movies/music and web browsing. I also have an ICS with my PS3. Lately I've been play COD4 online through the PS3 and have had real trouble getting online at certain times. I investigated into this and have now found out that tiscali have been blocking certian ports on people's connections so they cannot play certain games on the ps3.
I'm interested in your broadband but would just like to know if freeola will be doing the same as them. I would appreciate a response to this, I've got my MAC code already so just looking around to see whats what.
I know this isn't the correct place to post this but was hoping you guys might know, or know a decent ISP that doesn't block ports etc.
Cheers
Thu 15/11/07 at 21:11
Regular
"Hello?"
Hi, I am looking for a new ISP as my current ISP 'tiscali' are .... far from excellent. Basically I use the internet for movies/music and web browsing. I also have an ICS with my PS3. Lately I've been play COD4 online through the PS3 and have had real trouble getting online at certain times. I investigated into this and have now found out that tiscali have been blocking certian ports on people's connections so they cannot play certain games on the ps3.
I'm interested in your broadband but would just like to know if freeola will be doing the same as them. I would appreciate a response to this, I've got my MAC code already so just looking around to see whats what.
I know this isn't the correct place to post this but was hoping you guys might know, or know a decent ISP that doesn't block ports etc.
Cheers
Thu 15/11/07 at 23:56
"possibly impossible"
From the description, it seems freeola should have what you need from an ISP.

I use BT for everything (because I'm on a long term contract and have everything set up to the home hub, otherwise I'd change) and they seem to be ok, though not in much of a hurry to give me a better service or faster speed.
Fri 16/11/07 at 00:41
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Hi Black8704,

I can assure you we do not block any ports at all. I use Freeola broadband for Peer to Peer transfers and online games all the time, and I've never had any problems at all. We have no plans on changing this either, as we know people do not want port blocking as part of their service. As standard, you also get the static IP address, which also helps if you want to be doing anything more advanced too.

As we do not have a tie-in contract, if you're not totally satisfied with our ADSL service, you are more than welcome to request a MAC code from us and move on again, or if you would prefer, simply give us 30 days notification and we can cease your broadband totally.

If you would like any further information, you can either respond here, send us a ticket via our Help & Support pages, or give our Sales team a call on 0871 210 9966. I hope this helps.
Fri 16/11/07 at 08:40
Regular
"Hello?"
I did try calling you guys last night but when i pressed '8' on the automated telephone thingy it went quiet then cut me off. Is there certian opening times? I've got my MAC code so I'm willing to give you guys a try. Do you set up payments by DD? And what date does the DD come out? Also How long does the switch over take with you guys and is there any connection fee or any extra fees?
Many thanks.
Fri 16/11/07 at 15:28
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
The Freeola Sales and Support lines are open Monday to Friday 8:30 am till 8 pm and 9 am till 6 pm weekends and Bank Holidays. If you call anytime after this you should recieve a message informing you of this. However I will get this issue looked into for you.

To answer your other question the initial payment would need to be taken from a UK credit or debit card (not AMEX), for subsequent payments you can set up a Direct Debit Mandate which will be requested on the 26th of each month, and the money will be taken a few days later, usually around the 5th or 6th of the following month.

A migration generally takes a week and your downtime should only be a couple of hours maximum, as a migrating customer no further charges will be incurred for this.

Any further questions feel free to ask!
Sat 17/11/07 at 02:57
Regular
I've decided to make the change from BT to here (Freeola's), i'm expecting a far better service and from what i've had in response from Freeola already i'm impressed. No long waiting to know whats going on and immediately mailed about my migration... Thats far better than BT ever were with me in the past.
Sat 17/11/07 at 18:06
Regular
"Mooching around"
A somewhat related question, when dealing in wireless conections, is it still true that highest speed you can get is still 52Mbps?

It's been a while since I've used wireless...
Sat 17/11/07 at 20:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Chaos wrote:
> A somewhat related question, when dealing in wireless conections,
> is it still true that highest speed you can get is still 52Mbps?

No. :)
Sun 18/11/07 at 15:11
Regular
"Mooching around"
Ah. Useful ;)

I know we now have an 8 meg wired connection, and that we're now going to get a wireless router, how's the internet going to be affected?
Sun 18/11/07 at 17:24
"Are you sure?"
Chaos wrote:
> Ah. Useful ;)
>
> I know we now have an 8 meg wired connection, and that we're now
> going to get a wireless router, how's the internet going to be
> affected?

If you are only using one PC via a wireless connection then the bottle neck won't be your wireless connection to your router it will be your Broadband connection. Even if your wireless connection is poor due to the walls etc. in your house, it's not likely to affect your browsing.

Be aware that where you say "8 meg connection" that probably means you are on an "UP TO" 8 mbit connection! Depending on your line it may be slower and the fastest it can be is 7.15mbits.

Even if a few people are using the internet connection for normal surfing you won't really feel the difference.

If you are all hitting YouTube or downloading large files at the same time you will slow up a bit...

More about understanding Broadband in my thread over in the Internet/Web forum [URL]http://chat.freeola.com/Web-Development-4-chat/Understanding-and-improving-your-ADSL-MAX-connection-3454.html[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.