GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ISP question please help :)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/07 at 21:11
Regular
"Hello?"
Hi, I am looking for a new ISP as my current ISP 'tiscali' are .... far from excellent. Basically I use the internet for movies/music and web browsing. I also have an ICS with my PS3. Lately I've been play COD4 online through the PS3 and have had real trouble getting online at certain times. I investigated into this and have now found out that tiscali have been blocking certian ports on people's connections so they cannot play certain games on the ps3.
I'm interested in your broadband but would just like to know if freeola will be doing the same as them. I would appreciate a response to this, I've got my MAC code already so just looking around to see whats what.
I know this isn't the correct place to post this but was hoping you guys might know, or know a decent ISP that doesn't block ports etc.
Cheers
Tue 20/11/07 at 13:25
"Are you sure?"
Yep that's about it.

21CN - obviously BT's 21CN won't resolve peoples own internal wiring issues where a LOT of the problems occur. Also it sounds as if most (all?) of the improvements are being done on the exchange side, so the 'local loop' with knackered 40 year old copper and ally wire remains :¬(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and any improvement is welcome!

ON BT's 21CN site they say:
"...That said the laws of physics are not going to change and distance from the exchange and other factors will affect a customer's broadband speed."

Time will tell. If you are close to your exchange and on a half decent line you're lucky!
Tue 20/11/07 at 13:12
"possibly impossible"
ok, so all I need to do is wire in the current wires to that one instead of the faceplate thats on there at the moment and it will solve the problem as it splits the signal at source anyway.

Sounds good for £10 (plus rip off postage from Amazon).

and Vexxxed, thanks for the BT link, looks like my area will be July 2009, but I'll believe that when I see it!
Tue 20/11/07 at 12:52
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
> Any recommendations for somewhere I can get a decent faceplate
> filter?

Hmmm... :¬)
See my ADSL info page I've got an advert/link for a Solwise faceplate filter - highly recommended and only £10.23!
Tue 20/11/07 at 12:13
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Hopefully, everything will improve slightly for us all by 2011 when BT finish their upgrades to 21st Century Networking
Tue 20/11/07 at 12:10
"possibly impossible"
Yep, the test socket, which works fine. Well, gives me 1-2Kbps anyway, which is as much as I'm going to get this far away from the exchange until BT get their finger out and improve things.

It's the wiring thats the problem, for sure. When I plug the router back in the normal socket the connection drops to 300 and then up to 1 again the next day, then down again, etc...

So I'll check which wires are linked to my master socket again and see if I can't sort it that way. If you're sure only 2 need to be attached I'll try it, then maybe look at getting the filter.

Any recommendations for somewhere I can get a decent faceplate filter?
Tue 20/11/07 at 11:28
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
> Thanks, Hmmmm...
>
> I have tested and get a better speed through the Master Socket,
> hence the fact that I'm using that now and have been for the
> last 6 months.
>
> I did try having a look at the wiring, but the issues are:
>
> 1) The wiring doesn't match any diagram on the internet
>
> 2) The master socket is upstairs, the socket that's nearest the
> door is linked to that and seems to be the problem one.
> Unfortuantely, this is also the one I need for my phone and Sky
> to work. If I can work out how to re-wire this I can probably
> sort the issue out, though I assume it could also be the
> internal wiring itself, which would be impossible for me to fix.

Hi pb,

1) Hopefully the terminals in your phone sockets are numbered (might be hard to see but I haven't seen one that's not) - all you need are terminals 2 and 5 connected. It doesn't matter what colours have been used as long as they all run correctly to 2 and 5.

2) Where you say Master Socket - do you mean the Test Socket within the Master Socket (behind removable faceplate)?
It's ONLY by using the TEST Socket that you will disconnect the internal wiring to get the best results. If you haven't got a modern Master (NTE5) you may not have a removable lower faceplate.

I've fitted a Faceplate filter to my Master Socket.
This means that I don't need to put filters on any of my extensions and my router gets the best connection it can.

Faceplate filters usually also allow you to run unfiltered extensions - you use an UNfiltered extension 'just' for your router.

So it sounds like you could use a Faceplate filter and connect it up so that the socket you want to use for ADSL connects to the unfiltered terminals.

When sorting your phone wiring out - don't have your router connected as you stand a good chance of upsetting the exchange and messing up your IP Profile - see my ADSL thread for details!
Tue 20/11/07 at 10:50
"possibly impossible"
Thanks, Hmmmm...

I have tested and get a better speed through the Master Socket, hence the fact that I'm using that now and have been for the last 6 months.

I did try having a look at the wiring, but the issues are:

1) The wiring doesn't match any diagram on the internet

2) The master socket is upstairs, the socket that's nearest the door is linked to that and seems to be the problem one. Unfortuantely, this is also the one I need for my phone and Sky to work. If I can work out how to re-wire this I can probably sort the issue out, though I assume it could also be the internal wiring itself, which would be impossible for me to fix.
Tue 20/11/07 at 09:53
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
> It's about the same as me, though I've had to plug the router
> directly into the master socket and have an unsightly wire
> running down the stairs.

PB please read my post over in the Internet/Web forum for ideas on how to improve your connection/speed!

The most effective (and free) thing most people can do is to look at their internal wiring. All you need for ADSL and modern phones is wires 2 and 5 connected. A lot of RF interference (noise) is picked up on wire 3 which is the bell wire. Only REALLY old phones still need this.

By sorting out your own wiring you can often DOUBLE your speed!!!

If you have a modern master socket (NTE5) there is a removable faceplate on the bottom half. By removing that you automatically disconnect all your internal phone extensions. You will now have access to a 'test socket' that you can plug your router in to - this will be the very best quality connection you can achieve.

If your connection (speed/SNR/attenuation) improves then you know there is a problem with your house wiring. If everything is the same then you know your house wiring is fine.

So by disconnecting all the wires apart from terminals 2 and 5 in all your sockets you can optimise your phone line.

One of the easiest ways of resolving problems is to fit a 'face plate filter' this splits/filters the ADSL signal as soon as it enters your house.

***WARNING***
Obviously if you can't use a screwdriver DON'T TOUCH the phone wiring!!! If you aren't sure what you are doing ask someone who does!

PB wrote:
>BT want to charge me over £100 to get my phone wiring sorted!
>It makes you sick when no one takes responsibility for stuff
>like this.

BT's responsibility stops at the master socket - and you aren't allowed to touch anything behind the socket - only the removable faceplate.

Years ago you could only add extra phone sockets etc. by getting BT involved, now 'you are responsible' for your own house wiring I'm afraid - but really that's the way it should be.
A bit like your electric supply - up to the meter is your suppliers responsibility and the wiring in your house is your own!

Good luck...
Mon 19/11/07 at 21:57
Regular
"Mooching around"
Yaki wrote:
> I'm finally here and running on Freeola's connection.
>
> It's been all good so far, the support staff are great, the
> connections way faster than my old ISP. Best speed i've had so
> far was about 5 to 5.5 meg downloads, and the upload speed has
> doubled, obviously the time of day and what your doing will have
> an effect but all in all if your looking to change i'd recomend
> them in a heartbeat now.
>
> I run my own web server and two game servers from home,
> Freeola's connection helped greatly, gets a thumbs up from me.

Heh, you're not Vexxxed in disguise are you? ;)

But that's great mate, enjoy your newly found high speed connections, and if you have some time, why not hang around and get to the know the locals of Freeola Chat. :)

Happy surfing.
Mon 19/11/07 at 21:08
"possibly impossible"
Chaos wrote:
> Cheers dude, I seem to remember reading recently that theirs some
> kind of petition going to get the ISPs to show a realistic
> connection speed or something.
>
> I know my DL rate on the current so called 2Mb connection, I
> actually get a max of 1.8Mb, not too bad I suppose, but still!

It's about the same as me, though I've had to plug the router directly into the master socket and have an unsightly wire running down the stairs. BT want to charge me over £100 to get my phone wiring sorted! It makes you sick when no one takes responsibility for stuff like this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.