GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do people..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/03/02 at 11:10
Regular
Dear Special Reserve forum participants,

I'm writing to enquire as to the reason that many people actually 'sign' their posts.

Sonic does it, Ant does it occasionally, as do a number of others. You know what I mean - they just put their name at the bottom of the post.

I'm not moaning about it, I'm just curious. Your name is clearly displayed at the top-left of your post, so why repeat it at the bottom? Is it just to get that extra notch on your word count, or something else?

After all, it's not like you're writing a letter or anything like that.

Anyway, thank you for your assistance in this matter, and I look forward to receiving a reply in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Wookiee Monster.
Mon 18/03/02 at 13:43
Regular
"DS..."
just for Mystique...
slik ~_~ :D
slik ~_~
Mon 18/03/02 at 13:41
Regular
I just find it annoying.
Mon 18/03/02 at 12:27
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh ye of urine coloured name, respect thou elders
Mon 18/03/02 at 12:24
Regular
$lik wrote:
i didnt say it made the CONTENT better, just the overall appearance of it :D
slik ~_~

I know what you said, and it doesn't make the appearance better at all.
Mon 18/03/02 at 12:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, a number of reasons really...

*Whether it be letters, text messages or emails, people always write their name out at the bottom. This is despite letters having a printed name already, txt messages having your number, and emails having your address. It just adds a bit of personalisation to the thing... you're not just having some stupid server quote your name for you.

*Habit- I've been signing posts since I got here, and most of the original crew did as well...

*The post has a "rounding off" when you sign off at the bottom. Putting "Thanks for reading" and then saying who the message is from seems more personal and rounded to me... although that's just a subjective thing.

Sonic
Mon 18/03/02 at 11:25
Regular
"DS..."
Your Honour wrote:
> Slik, it doesn't make the post better at all, IMHO.

i didnt say it made the CONTENT better, just the overall appearance of it :D
slik ~_~
Mon 18/03/02 at 11:17
Regular
Slik, it doesn't make the post better at all, IMHO.
Mon 18/03/02 at 11:14
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i don't either

semajal
Mon 18/03/02 at 11:12
Regular
"DS..."
just force of habit I guess, but it somehow does make the overall post look better when you add a little something on the bottom each time, i don't know why it just does but hey those are my reasons!
slik ~_~
Mon 18/03/02 at 11:10
Regular
"I confused?"
i don't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.