GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Impressions on Vice City **No Spoilers**"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Fri 08/11/02 at 09:17
Regular
Got it yesterday to go with my nice new PS2.
Mate came over and we played it from about 8pm through till midnight, and here are some brief impressions so far:

Intro screen is the old C64 loading process, you old'uns will be smiling to yourself and you young'uns can see what we used to have suffer. So remember before you start whinging about loading times etc on other consoles. Combat School on the Spectrum took 9mins to load.
Having said that, the load times are pretty long from the intro to game, I was most suprised.

Right then - the game:

After some cut-scenes to set the story, you are outside The Lawyers office and 1st task is to visit your hotel.
Screw that, I'm going to explore instead of playing along.
Faggio Scooter in the alleyway, I'll have that then.
There's the 1st major difference, 2-wheeled vehicles. It handles well and sounds rubbish, like a wasp in a biscuit tin.
I feel like smashing someone, so off the scooter. I could stop and climb off, or just hit the triangle and step off the back to leave my Faggio to roll down the road before toppling over.
I'll smack this dude, dressed in tan. Whoops, he's a cop. Best to run then and steal the 1st available vehicle I come across.
Which happens to be a proper motorbike, think Yamaha R6.
Stupidly fast thing, handles ok but it's waaay to speedy, slam on brakes methinks.
Bike goes up onto front wheel and skids along the road, a la Mission Impossible 2 - and you get a bonus for length of skid and spins.
This rules, hit accelerate and pop a wheelie. Another bonus for wheelies.

I'm passing other cars and motorbikes, some have pillion riders on. Pedestrians stroll along and talk/argue/fight with each other, cops chase people down the road.
The graphics are a vast improvement over GTA3, more definition, colour, depth. Zero pop-up and it's smoother than a smooth thing on oily rubber sheets.

Head into the Mall, walk about and go into a couple of shops. Mall Security guards chase gangs past the window screaming at them to stop.
This rules.
Back outside onto ma motorbike and decide to run a cop over. He's angry and chases me so I stop and let him catch up, punch him to the floor and steal his pistol.
Wanted rating is 2 star now and here comes another cop car - Jesus christ he just rammed me off the bike and is shooting at me? On a 2-star rating?
Screw this, I'm going to shoot back. Crouch behind a car and return fire, kill them and rating goes up to 3.
Crockett & Tubbs arrive in a Ferarri, time to leave. Back onto motorbike and flee - except they just shot my tire out. Hit a wall and fly down the road, coming to a rest against a pizza parlour.
Get Busted by angry police.

----

Ok, I have to say Vice City outshines GTA3. The graphics are fantastic, model detail is a little bland but can be forgiven. Music is as you'd expect, Lazlo is a rock-DJ, Fernando is a luuurve doctor and the chat stations are amusing as ever.
The main difference between Vice City and GTA3 is the size of it.
It's absolutely massive, and I can't leave the 1st "island" yet either.
Impressive as hell.

I've done some missions, they're gentle and ease you into the game. Best 1 so far is either chasing a guy down the road with your chainsaw or using the Remote Controlled Helicopter to plant bombs.
You already know this game rocks, but wait until you see just how much.

Motorbikes you can wheelie on, Ferarris, The Village People in The Malibu and BURT REYNOLDS provides one of the voices.
BURT REYNOLDS.

Best PS2 game ever.
Sat 09/11/02 at 15:40
Regular
You mean the one where you shoot another gangs members on top of roofs? Well, i've done that.

Im up to the "Death Row" Mission. Where you have to rescue Lance Vance. Damn hard mission.

The radio is cool, two Michael Jackson songs, Bryan Adams, Ozzy Osbourne and loads other well known ones.

Like everyone else has said, This game rules.
Sat 09/11/02 at 15:22
Regular
"  "
I know everyone has said this but the bikes are sweet.

Oh, and has anyone else seen the RC Barron Plane Flying mission at the top of one of the car parks? That is so cool!
Sat 09/11/02 at 14:23
"griever"
anyone heard on shane0
Sat 09/11/02 at 13:49
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I had a hilarious moment today. There was two people on a motorbike, so I shot the back guy off and he flew over my windshield. The guy driving sped off like hell as Billy Jean blasted out of my speakers. I caught him up and ran the bagger down :D

Told him that Faggio's were no good, but would he listen? Nope.

This...game...rules...
Sat 09/11/02 at 13:42
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Got it today, amazing game certainly all I hoped it would be. I've had to come off it though because my brother and sister have been pestering me to have a go on it, but it gives me time to come in here and post how great the game is ;)

Love the C64 loading screen as well, that takes me back a bit.
Sat 09/11/02 at 11:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Expletive Deleted wrote:
> Well, that's taking it a bit far; Because fair enough, GTA is better
> than Onimusha. Finer things in life? Pfft, you don't even know the
> meaning of the sentence... :D

Hmm, I think you have your "finer things" swingometer out of tune. It's in the red bit when it should be in the green bit.
Fri 08/11/02 at 18:31
"period drama"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I just completed my first Insane Jump off the top of a multi-storey
> carpark.

Me too!
I was looking out for one like in GTA3. Then I jumped from the other roof accross the road and onto several more buildings, nothing there though : (

Got 2 packages so far. Done the 1st few missions. Mostly riding motobikies up big ramps then jumping off half-way across : )

Got a Katana from the mall.
Niiiiceee
Fri 08/11/02 at 18:27
Regular
"Touched!"
I'm 8% done and i have 6 hidden packages now, not bad for 3 hours work!
Fri 08/11/02 at 18:19
Regular
i have found ONE hidden package, its sortof a greeny thing
Fri 08/11/02 at 16:39
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Has anyone had any problems with joypads while playing the game? The analogue has turned itself off a few times and crashed the game. Might simply be that the connecter was loose.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.