GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BLINX"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Blinx the time sweeper'.
Fri 08/11/02 at 09:33
Regular
I think this game is important enough to warrant it's own thread - (?)

Funny thing is, I ain't got it yet, but I'm off to town now to buy it :)

I'll post my first impressions and what I generally think are "claws & flaws" later.
Fri 08/11/02 at 09:33
Regular
I think this game is important enough to warrant it's own thread - (?)

Funny thing is, I ain't got it yet, but I'm off to town now to buy it :)

I'll post my first impressions and what I generally think are "claws & flaws" later.
Fri 08/11/02 at 11:48
cheers mate cos this is still under my consideration.
Fri 08/11/02 at 15:12
Regular
I've played 6 levels so far, and here are my first impressions:

So far so good.
The graphics are excellent - with a magical "Christmasy" feel.
The music is suitably quirky and light.

The Time Controls were a bit confusing at first, as it's tricky to work out which Time Crystals to collect and where to use them most effectively. But you can go back and replay any completed level at any time to improve your scores, collect secrets and try out different strategies, etc.

The Time Controls work brilliantly.
For instance, on level 2 there is a fallen statue with a Secret Token floating in the air above it which Blinx can't reach. I collected the necessary Pink Rewind Crystals, stood on the top piece of the fallen statue, then hit Rewind on the Time Control. The statue reformed (in a rewind kind of way) and Blinx was now standing on top of the "unfallen" statue and could now reach the Secret Token. Very clever.

My only criticism is that you can't invert the analog controls. For me, up is up and down is down. But there's not much need to look/aim up or down as the Time Sweeper automatically aims at enemies, and all you need to do is press fire.

The levels seem quite small at the moment, but I'm sure they'll get bigger as I go further into the game.

BLINX strikes me as being a quirky game similiar to JSRF - there'll be gamers who love it and gamers who won't be interested at all. I think I'm going to fall into the former category.
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:18
might see it myself someday
Sat 09/11/02 at 08:36
Regular
It's a strange game.
It doesn't have the epic adventuring quality of a Mario game.
I'd describe as "curious, quaint, novel, eccentric".
A friendly kind of game.

I can understand why the review scores range from the 90s to the 50s.
It'll become a cult favourite, like say JSR, Nights and Rez.

It has a Sega feel about it.
I like it.
Sat 09/11/02 at 12:38
Regular
The review scores are strange due to peoples taste in games.

Some reviewers think "Oh this is pants because it is'nt like Mario" which is totally unfair and stupid.

I liked it when i played it.
Sun 10/11/02 at 00:06
Regular
Vast Luckystar wrote:
> It'll become a cult favourite, like say JSR, Nights and Rez.

Yeah, Blinx will appeal to gamers who like those kind of games. Games which are best described as "quirky".
I'm finding it very addictive. I'm up to The City of Lost Time, and it's getting very tricky - which is a good thing.
It requires quite a bit of commitment and skill to get the most out of it.
It's a cool little game.
Mon 11/11/02 at 13:45
might buy that then :D
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:46
Regular
Blinx is cool.
Blinx is crap.
(?)
That's down to personal opinion.
But one thing is certain: *Blinx is rock hard*

It's starts of easy, but get to the later levels and it is seriously tricky.
The Everwinter levels and the levels beyond are damned difficult.
I've not finished it yet, but I think I'm near the end - completed 21 levels and 7 boss battles so far.

I've just posted a review, if anyone's interested.
Wed 13/11/02 at 14:01
I will read it now, however with the releases of unreal and red faction 2 out very soon the chances of me getting it keep getting slimmer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.