GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Copied XP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/03/02 at 23:31
Regular
My mate give me Windows XP but another mate warned me dont installed can they trace me. I dont wanna go to jail if I install it.
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You don't - you use a DOS floppy. You can't format a system while you're using a system...
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:34
by the way I am sorry about posting about a copied software SR
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:29
How do you format your pc with win xp?
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:27
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
You have to activate it yourself, and you cannot acitivate the same copy twice.

It's activated online, or buy calling Microsoft, and they check your hardware config, and then give you a code, which you then type in to activate it. This is different from registering your copy, or from the secrutiy code on the cd; it's a unique code and you'll only have to activate it in again if you change your system to the extent that it appears like a new computer, in which case, Microsoft promise, you'll still be able to reactivate.
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:23
How do you know when it gets activated and how do you reformat your pc with windows xp???
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:04
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The only way to get an illegal copy of XP that works (well with relative ease anyway) is to get one of the later testing versions that is only riddled with bugs (nothing new to Windows users) as opposed to being swarming with bugs.

Otherwise your left with an unactivated copy. Activation is the most effective anti-copying measure thus far seen. The code you activate XP with is specific to your hardware configuration not only can you not copy and sell it, but you can't use it on more than one of your own computers, which sucks. It's also sensitive to hard-disk cloning, so you can't get round it that way either.

You can try trawling the internet, but so far, the only legitmate-ish way to have a non-activated copy is to find a beta-version...
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:43
Regular
"How Handy."
I cant remember how long, about 60daysish I think, maybe shorter...
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:39
when do you validate it???
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:36
Regular
"How Handy."
First of all, I dont think SR will appriciate you posting about illegal copies of software they sell.

Next, copying windows XP is not really a good idea, as it needs to be validated by contacting Microsoft, when it'll give them your details, your PC details and the details of the version you've installed. THough I doubt you'll go to prison, you could get a nasty fine, but most likely your computer will just stop working.
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:31
My mate give me Windows XP but another mate warned me dont installed can they trace me. I dont wanna go to jail if I install it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.