GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchet and Clank"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'ratchet and clank 2'.
Sun 10/11/02 at 00:25
Regular
Ok getting bored with all the Vice City talk so I thought I'd be different and do a thread on Ratchet and Clank(Also released on Friday if you hadn't noticed).

Anyone else got it? Whaddya think?
(No spoilers please!)
Sun 10/11/02 at 00:25
Regular
Ok getting bored with all the Vice City talk so I thought I'd be different and do a thread on Ratchet and Clank(Also released on Friday if you hadn't noticed).

Anyone else got it? Whaddya think?
(No spoilers please!)
Sun 10/11/02 at 11:35
I played it on saturday round a friends and it seemed pretty good, like Jak + Daxter just improved. Has anyone else bought this game, wasnt it a bit stupid bringing it out on the same date as Vice city since 99% of people were going to get VC?
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:11
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Don't steal my topic, woman.
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:31
Well if its Jak and Daxter improved then ill get it, I loved Jak+Dax it was brill! :D

ok, well GTA:VC has booked the next few months of play on the PS2, so im being generous and giving this game 15mins of play for every 1 month proportion of GTA.

Think that sounds reasonable.
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:36
"High polygon count"
I got it through the post yesterday, along with Vice City, and it is a truly brilliant game!

So good, in fact, that I played it from 11am yesterday until around 4pm, without even bothering to open Vice City.

It's everything that was ever 'good' in a platform game rolled together, and producing a game that's better than the sum of its parts. The characters are funny and immediately likeable, there are plenty of moves, even more weapons, massive levels with almost infinite visibility (from some areas you can see the whole level - and pretty much everything you can see you can get to), and an a definite Loony Toons feel to the animation.

You can find or buy weapons, and using them is great fun. My particular favourites so far are the Glove of Doom (I love the little evil cackle of a laugh from the little robots) and the Suck Cannon (which sucks up your smaller enemies in a whirlwind, and fires them back at larger enemies as explosive projectiles).

And you can even get various items of clothing to access various areas of some levels. For example, saving one character on a particular level earns you a pair of Grind Boots, and you can grind 'skateboard-styleee' down a metal beam from one area to another.

The in-game camera is controlled manually using the right analogue stick, so you should never have any problems caused by it - I certainly haven't yet.

Oh, and you get to control Clank on at least one level, too.

The only load time is between planets, but then it is only a matter of seconds, and you have a nice little cutscene of the ship charging through space, so you don't even notice it.

Jak & Daxter was a great game (still is, actually!), but was limited a little by the lack of weapons and just a handful of attacking moves. Ratchet & Clank improves on it in nearly every aspect.

In fact, the *only* mistake I can see with this game is that they released it on the same day as Vice City. But then, they're really two very different types of game, so apart from the cost involved, there really is no excuse for not owning them both. So go get it.
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:01
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Mario
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:02
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
:)
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:14
Regular
"Whatever!"
Sounds like brilliant game - Not sure what to get next week - Ratchet + Clank or Smackdown SYM
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:22
"High polygon count"
Starlight wrote:
> Mario

Indeed. R.I.P.
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:29
Regular
Several multi-format reviewers have rated Ratchet and Clank as being better than Mario. After all, Mario is much more like Jak and Daxter with its simpler moves and story. Besides, do you wanna watch a silly old man with a moustache run around being a plum, or a cool robot and his new alien friend?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.