GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The wonderfull world of Cut Scenes!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/03/02 at 14:03
Regular
You'll find them in almost every modern day game in fact you may even find the odd on in some old NES games,
You may be thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?" well there could only be one thing I am talking about and that is cut scenes.

The Japanese love their cut scenes.
Take Metal Gear Solid 2 for example.
It is riddled with cut scenes (Too many for my liking) Most of which seem like babble at times but the rest of the time they seem to be fairly well thought out.
They do seem to be a little long drawn out though which spoils the game a bit.

That's one of the worst things about cut scenes.
If they go on for to long gamers like myself tend to get bored and skip most of the cut scene.
Another bad point about long cut scenes is that if you skip it and the developers left the most important bit 'till the end then you'll probably miss it.
That definitely won't help if there's something in that bit of footage that helps you complete a level or helps you to find an item.

Cut scenes can be used in a number of different ways.
They can be used to tell a story like in Zelda OoT or they could be used to explain how to use certain weapons or machines.
They could even be used to give you a little bit of background info on the characters.

Some Cut scenes are useful whilst others are pointless and waste time.
If the cut scenes are made well enough and they give the game an extra twist then nobody will mind the occasional long cut scene.
Nobody minded the long cut scenes in OoT! Why?

Because they were very well made and they made sense and they told a lot of information about the story line.
The visuals in some of the cut scenes were also impressive to look at.
So there's proof that the occasional cut scene (As long as they are well made, make sense and are good to look at) gamers don't mind.

Which ever console you have you are bound to find cut scenes on most of your games.
Cut scenes (If they are good enough) make the game you're playing more enjoyable and most important of all more playable.
Some developers tend to spend too much time making cut scenes for games.
Cut scenes also take up a surprising amount of memory especially if there is talking in it.

Most cut scenes today have speech in them some are even interactive.
If cut scenes have speech in them it also makes the game easier to follow, the only other option would be text. Then in some cases that would make you have to screw up your eyes in order to read the text.
That's only in a few games though.
OoT had text but it was easy to read and didn't bother me too much.

With the launch of the Micro*Cough cough*ft (Sorry that always happens when I say Micro*Cough Cough*ft) cut scenes will undoubtedly change dramatically.
Who knows what type of new fangled cut scene will crop up in the future?
For what lies ahead is unexplored unclaimed territory.
Who will claim it? Micro*Cough Cough*ft or Ninty? Who Knows?
Well have to wait and find out, won't we?

Thanks for reading!
Thu 21/03/02 at 21:27
Regular
Well done, DM, well deserved win.
Thu 21/03/02 at 17:59
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Soon you will run out of games to claim though, Doughnut.
Thu 21/03/02 at 09:31
"I hate that!!!"
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> Think you're gonna have a bit of a problem getting Conker as SR don't stock it
> anymore. I think you have a choice of about 6 games left for the N64.

Banjo
> Tooie would be a good choice. Or perfect dark if you don't have it.

I actually managed to claim Conkers bad Fur Day without any hastle at all!

I can't wait to get it home!
Wed 20/03/02 at 09:48
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Your Honour wrote:
> Er, well done.

*scratches head*

I think that it must be originality or something. Gotta give it that!
Wed 20/03/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Think you're gonna have a bit of a problem getting Conker as SR don't stock it anymore. I think you have a choice of about 6 games left for the N64.

Banjo Tooie would be a good choice. Or perfect dark if you don't have it.
Tue 19/03/02 at 20:06
the one thing i didnt like about the cutscenes in games like Driver 1,2 on the PS1 coz the cutscene looks better than the game which wastes it
Tue 19/03/02 at 18:22
Regular
*through gritted teeth*

Well done

still think I should have won...aargh, I'm being a bad loser again

*slaps face repeatedly*
Tue 19/03/02 at 17:06
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Well done!

;-)
Tue 19/03/02 at 09:01
"I hate that!!!"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> Well done Doghnut Monster, and Conker would be a good choice!

Thanks!

Yes it would!
Mon 18/03/02 at 16:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well done Doghnut Monster, and Conker would be a good choice!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.