GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My opinions on the MGS2 video... Best dream or worst nightmare??mmm.."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/10/00 at 16:47
Regular
Sure, the graphics look good and the game looks to carry on very nicely but there were MANY flaws i noticed.

Firstly, like the original it uses a very basic colour pallette and everything has that blue tinge about it.

Also, the guards walk FAR too fast and the animation looks irregular.

When Snake is jumping, kiking or punching, his actions aswell look very out of place and far too fast in comparison with the likes of Code Veronica.

And the thing I could not stop laughing about was quite obviously when Snake closed the locker right in the guards face and they still couldnt figure out where he had went untill he made a sound... Artificial intelligence?? Not much here which brings me on to my next comment.

All the guards act exact, they all have the same walk, the same height, they even follow the same routes. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE NEXT GEN!! AARRGGHH. If a gurd had of strafed out of a corner with the other running out, that would have been alright but when they run after other, with exact footsteps..

Anyway, I still think it looks like an amzing game but you all overlooked a lot, even more than i can be bothered to write...
Wed 04/10/00 at 16:47
Sure, the graphics look good and the game looks to carry on very nicely but there were MANY flaws i noticed.

Firstly, like the original it uses a very basic colour pallette and everything has that blue tinge about it.

Also, the guards walk FAR too fast and the animation looks irregular.

When Snake is jumping, kiking or punching, his actions aswell look very out of place and far too fast in comparison with the likes of Code Veronica.

And the thing I could not stop laughing about was quite obviously when Snake closed the locker right in the guards face and they still couldnt figure out where he had went untill he made a sound... Artificial intelligence?? Not much here which brings me on to my next comment.

All the guards act exact, they all have the same walk, the same height, they even follow the same routes. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE NEXT GEN!! AARRGGHH. If a gurd had of strafed out of a corner with the other running out, that would have been alright but when they run after other, with exact footsteps..

Anyway, I still think it looks like an amzing game but you all overlooked a lot, even more than i can be bothered to write...
Wed 04/10/00 at 16:54
I personally think it looked awesome. Blue tinge? not on my TV.

Remember though - it is still in development, and a long way from complete.
Wed 04/10/00 at 23:02
Regular
"Whatever!"
I think at this stage it something like 35% complete, so a lot more work is still to be done.
Tue 10/10/00 at 19:30
It shows....
Tue 10/10/00 at 20:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
No, it doesn't show, actually. What's that, did somebody say jealous?? I'm sorry, but you were a little biased there.
Tue 10/10/00 at 20:28
Ignore him Ant, he's just being a troll. He's been away for a few days and is trying to stir things up again.

If you recall, the last time Tigerblade was posting regularly, he was saying that MGS2 seemed to be the title worth buying a PS2 for.

Personally, I think we all know that he's in love with his Dreamcast, and doesn't like that we've all more or less accepted that and are happy to let him get on with it.

Like I said elsewhere about Sega, anyone who feels the need to continually take cheap shots at the opposition is usually very worried about something.
Wed 11/10/00 at 12:12
As you all know I am a confirmed PS2 fan out and out. I get very annoyed with Tigerblade coming on here merely to bug people and slate the PS2.

I refrained from buying a Dreamcast because none of the games really filled me with awe. I must admit however that the Dreamcast version of Half-Life looks awesome. I already have Half-Life on the PC, however, so I wont buy a Dreamcast to play it. I have heard rumours that Sega may bring out an add on to boost the Dreamcasts power inline with there next Naomi boards, so as to allow for easy arcade conversions. If this is true then it proves that Sega are not giving in without a fight and the PS2 wont have things all its own way.

I must point out though that I have reservations about consoles concentrating on arcade and PC conversions. Arcade games do not have to have long term appeal as you can move from one to another quickly and cheaply. Once the fun of shooting people on Silent Scope wears off (after about £5 worth of play in my case) then you can move over to a beat-em-up or a racer etc and play there for half an hour.

The point I am trying to make here is that the Consoles need to come up with original games such as Crazy Taxi, Metal Gear Solid, GT etc in order to offer value for money. Games that you will come back to again and again with some longterm life in them.

I feel the PS2 will offer more of these games in the long run and that is why I am buying it. If I want to play PC games then I will buy them for my PC. I dont think PC ports are a bad thing but they will never live up to their PC counterparts as games makers can always require the dedicated PC gamer to buy a new graphics card every year or two.

Consoles need games that make PC gamers think, wow I wish I had a PSX, PS2 or a Dreamcast so that I could play that game. This is what happened with Metal Gear Solid, not because of the graphics but because of the gameplay. It was innovative and highly playable.

To finish I will pass my comments on the videos. I think that UT is looking good on the PS2 but the idea of playing split screen does not enthrall me. Even on my widesreen TV split screen on the video looks impossible to follow so I pity anyone with a small TV. The possibility of playing via 2 Playstation2's and 2 TV's using the I-Link cable is a great idea but how many people will ever use it??

I was astounded by the MGS2 trailer and agree with Babylonian in that I see nothing wrong with the colour scheme. There are some problems with the game (eg I agree that the way the guards moved in formation near the end of the video resembled some sort of bizarre snake and was very unrealistic) but overall the level of attention to detail is stunning. I think it is obvious that this is going to be the game of the system when it is released and hopefully there will be time for a Metal Gear Solid 3 on the PS2 at some point in the future.

I am one of those people who is wowed by great visuals and turns his nose up at a good game if it lacks a bit in the looks stake. But even I would admit that games are all about the fun of PLAYING. They are not purely to be watched, they are there to be enjoyed and interacted with. If you want perfect visuals go and watch a film.

Finally on the point of AI. AI has come on leaps and bounds since the advent of games and I am amazed at the level of independent thinking that some developers have managed to endow characters with. This area is always improving but I for one would not like to see it advance to such a level that games stop being fun. If the games get too hard then they will frustrate and not entertain.

Rant over
Wed 11/10/00 at 14:25
>I think that UT is looking good on the PS2 but the idea
>of playing split screen does not enthrall me. Even on my
>widesreen TV split screen on the video looks impossible
>to follow so I pity anyone with a small TV.

Agreed. Until February this year I was using an old 14-inch Philips CM8833 Mk.II monitor for my PlayStation gaming - a left-over from my Amiga days (which I also still have, but not up and running). Split screen on anything resulted in severe eye-strain!

Now though, I have a lovely 28-inch Sony WEGA, and it's lovely!

I don't mind games like Gran Turismo in split-screen mode, because it doesn't really affect gameplay. With things like Unreal Tournament and Timesplitters, though, I think it spoils the fun. You can see what your opponent(s) can see, and vice-versa, so there's no real surprise element, or any real feeling of hunting them down for the frag.

I really do hope that they build in i-Link capabilities, if only for completeness. After all, while your mates could bring their console round, bringing a second big-screen TV is a different story altogether!
Thu 12/10/00 at 10:31
Hummmmmmm......I'd like to see you try to design a game of that magnitude, give them a break and shutup.

Do us all a favour and don't write to this site ever again.
Thu 12/10/00 at 11:08
Babylonian is a respected and sensible poster. You on the other hand have not made a single useful contribution to this site. I think I know who people would rather see leave.

If you want to argue at least come up with an ARGUMENT. We are all gaming fans here and more than that most of us are PS2 fans. We cant wait to see Metal Gear Solid 2 released BUT that does not mean that we would ever claim it is perfect. I think if you ask Hideo Kojima he would also admit that there are things that he will want to improve before release and even after release he will not be 100% happy with the game.

It is only because of us gamers that companies continue to strive to produce better products. If we accept companies short fallings and buy whatever they put on the shelves then they will never have an incentive to improve.

We are by no means saying that MGS2 is a bad game, on the contrary you will find that the majority of us are amazed by the footage that we have seen so far. We are merely discussing our opinions, and that is what this forum is all about. Honest, open and constructive discussion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.