GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting Left Behind ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 15:55
Regular
So, Xbox is down to £159.99 withj two free games, Xbox Live is available soon, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Sega Gt2002, Elder Scrolls, Blinx and many more are scoring highly and sales are picking up.

On the PS2 front Sony is seeing GTA Vice City fly off the shelves as fast as it can be shipped out whilst console sales continue to go from strength to strength and Sony's Broadband network aims for a 1st quarter 2003 release. With more good games on the way like the Getaway, Kingdom Hearts, WWF 4 and so on, things couldn't be brighter.

Then we have Nintendo, who appear to have spent this years marketing budget on Super Mario Sunshine, and to whom online gaming seems something of a mystery. Starfox Adventures is the next BIG release, but I think from import reviews that it may not be all it's cracked up to be. Resident Evil provided a great, but dated gameplay wise, experience, and Eternal Darkness was good. Timesplitters 2 excelled, which was a good job when you consider the number of FPS games available. Coupl all this with the surrender of Rare to Bill, and I have to wonder what on earth Nintendo's strategy is right now, considering it's the Christmas run up.

If someone this Christmas is looking to buy a console then I honestly don't know how Nintendo expect the GC to do well. Advertsiing is appaling - or non existent in most cases - as are promotions - the Mario bundle was a step in the right direction but not far enough due to it's limited availability. There is the promise of some good stuff next year - Zelda and a few more I cannot remember.

As for online gaming, with Nintendo its like a "what strategy ? WE don't have a strategy !" attitude. Online Gaming will really take off in March 2003 with the official release of both Sony and Microsoft's online services. Imagine an online Mario Kart, or Mario Party 4 ? Nintendo should get Mario away from plumbing and into broadband pipes PDQ !

In short, the Gamecube is rapidly becoming a rerun of the N64 which should not be happening, but it is, and Nintendo as usual - despite promises to the contrary - doesn't care about the situation in Europe, where recent sales figures show the GC is doing a Custer's Last Stand.

Just over 5 months, and it's gone like this already. Pathetic, and Nintendo knows it. The Gamecube is a great machine with excellent ideas - the Wavebird in particular - but there are not enough games to back it up. I've got;

Luigi's Mansion
WaveRace
Tony Hawk's 3
Super Smash Bros
Eternal Darkness
Timespitters 2
NBA 2002
Burnout
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
James Bond
Rogue Leader

And I traded in Resident Evil.

I can honestly say there are no games out right now that I want until Starfox. Even when I had a PS2 from it's launch there were always games coming out that I wanted. I've had an Xbox for a week, and there are loads of games I want for that.

Nintendo are being left behind, they need to get in gear and actually bother to fight for sales this Christmas, not sit back and lose.

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 15/11/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Whitestripes wrote:
> The delays between NTSC and PAL releases is no worse than any other
> console.
>
> The UK has to wait 6 months for X-box Live after the Americans get it,
> but whose whinging about that?
>
> Stop being so petty.

How am I being petty?

*Tekken 4 for the PS2 - UK gamers got it 2/3 weeks before the Americans.

*Smackdown 4 for the PS2 - The PAL market got it 3 days after release in the US.

*Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Another British-developed title. Yes, we got it later than the Americans, but only by a couple of weeks.

My point? If Sony can get the big releases out in the public domain in a timely fashion shortly after it's US release. Why can't Nintendo?
Fri 15/11/02 at 16:08
Regular
The delays between NTSC and PAL releases is no worse than any other console.

The UK has to wait 6 months for X-box Live after the Americans get it, but whose whinging about that?

Stop being so petty.
Fri 15/11/02 at 16:06
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Bleeders wrote:
> To be fair. It hasn't taken Nintendo long to bring Starfox
> Adventures
> over. But that still doesn't explain why it's taken them so long to
> translate other titles for Europe and Starfox contains a fair amount
> of text.
> ***
> Then again, seeing as Starfox was MADE in the UK (in Europe) and we
> STILL get it last... :-D

Made, but not produced.
Fri 15/11/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But Nintendo are still a huge name in the gaming world, even if they're not as-popular-as they used to be back a decade ago.
Do they really need to advertise their products?
If they bring-out something new it'll soon become known by its own innovation, and the fact that it's from Nintendo - the vastly experienced company in this area.
But SONY and Microsoft are big-names too, in their own ways...

They certainly don't need to advertise themselves.
Fri 15/11/02 at 12:45
Regular
Bleeders wrote:
> To be fair. It hasn't taken Nintendo long to bring Starfox Adventures
> over. But that still doesn't explain why it's taken them so long to
> translate other titles for Europe and Starfox contains a fair amount
> of text.

Then again, seeing as Starfox was MADE in the UK (in Europe) and we STILL get it last... :-D
Fri 15/11/02 at 10:53
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Dringo wrote:
>
> Nintendo needs to learn Europe matters
>
> Huh? Where have you been Europe has been vital to Nintendo latley.

Really? So how comes it's taken them the best part of 8 months to bring Eternal Darkness out over here. Why is Metroid Fusion due for a UK release in the next week or so, but Metroid Prime isn't? Why didn't they release the Spice GameCube in the PAL territory? Why has it taken them so long to bring the Wavebird over here too?

To be fair. It hasn't taken Nintendo long to bring Starfox Adventures over. But that still doesn't explain why it's taken them so long to translate other titles for Europe and Starfox contains a fair amount of text.
Fri 15/11/02 at 09:02
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Dringo wrote:
> They have an online strategy we just don't know about it yet and when
> the games near compleation we will.

So they have a strategy, which exists, but we don't know it exists because they haven't told anyone yet. Oooooookay.

I actually have Nintendo's online strategy right here....*holds blank sheet of paper and the GC expansion slot cover* :)

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 15/11/02 at 07:50
Regular
If they announce Mario Kart now, and it doesn't come out until next christmas, everyone will be whinging and complaining that there are too many delays and they should have released it sooner.

And there are going to be changes, significant changes...
Fri 15/11/02 at 00:09
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> Nintendo lack an online strategy

They have an online strategy we just don't know about it yet and when the games near compleation we will.

> Nintendo needs more good third party titles

REally? so from barley none on the N64 to absolutley loads on the Gamcube and we still need more? We have more exclusive titles than anyone! Resident Evil is now on Nintendo and it wasn't before, 4 new Capcom games just announced, Namco's die hard support, Sonic's Gamecube exclusivity, Virtual fighter RPG and so on and so on and so on... we have loads just they are about average at the moment. When the exclusive third party games come rolling in at the end of next year THEN will the GTA and metal gear series finally have Nintendo competition.

> Nintendo should shoot whichever bright spark decided they didn't need
> Rare

Rare made an overall loss on the N64. And with Capcom's new company on board it is looking good to me!

> Nintendo needs to learn Europe matters

Huh? Where have you been Europe has been vital to Nintendo latley.

> Mariokart details Feb 2003 eh ? Er what's wrong with Nintendo telling
> us all now, I mean there's only so much they can change isn't there ?

They don't want you to know about the game for toooooo long now do they.
Thu 14/11/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
gerrid wrote:
> If he doesn't like GC, then what is he doing in here?
> Fool.

Fool yourself.....go read what I said then come back....

Anyway, I do like the GC, the good stuff on it shows what's possible, but just becase I do like it doesn't mean I shall follow Nintendo blindly like some of the fanboys here, and apologise for every failure Nintendo has.

Nintendo lack an online strategy
Nintendo needs more good third party titles
Nintendo should shoot whichever bright spark decided they didn't need Rare
Nintendo needs to learn Europe matters

Mariokart details Feb 2003 eh ? Er what's wrong with Nintendo telling us all now, I mean there's only so much they can change isn't there ? Unless it exists solely as a name at the moment, kinda like Perfect Dark 0 the NOM went on about for ages, and is now trying to convince everyone it was no great loss........

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.