GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Midnight approaches, MR.COATES must calm down...."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/03/02 at 11:01
Regular
Normally you'll find me hanging around the PS2 forums getting excited about what Sony have on offer.
Recently though I've just not been able to ignore that the Xbox is almost here and that it's indeed a very impressive machine.

The thing is though, I'm not about to abandon ship and ditch my beloved PS2 - I still worship what the PS2 has brought us in recent months.
At the same time though it's impossible to deny that the Xbox is a beast.

I've not been getting excited about the hardware specs at all - so what if the processor is three times faster than the PS2's? Who cares if Nvidia have produced the best graphics chip on any console EVER?

OK, so these things do matter of course but one thing has come across more than anything - the games.

At first the launch line up looked pretty pathetic, Oddworld, Malice, NHL?!!! But you'll also find Halo, DOA3 and Project Gotham.
Halo is of course an exclusive, DOA3 is a sequel but for those who have called Proj Gotham a Dreamcast port need slapping. An additional city, new cars (which are now damageable), an officially licensed soundtrack and the ability to use your own music in-game!
Dreamcast port? I think not.

So I shall be there, handing over a serious sum of money for a potentially risky purchase but Microsoft have the ability to pull this off.
They have the hardware, they're starting to get some superb games and they certainly have some new ideas to give Sony and Nintendo something to think about.

Don't hate M/Soft for the PC dominating money machine that they are - praise them for joining the games market (especially after losing Sega from Hardware production).

See you at midnight (or perhaps not)....
Wed 13/03/02 at 11:01
Normally you'll find me hanging around the PS2 forums getting excited about what Sony have on offer.
Recently though I've just not been able to ignore that the Xbox is almost here and that it's indeed a very impressive machine.

The thing is though, I'm not about to abandon ship and ditch my beloved PS2 - I still worship what the PS2 has brought us in recent months.
At the same time though it's impossible to deny that the Xbox is a beast.

I've not been getting excited about the hardware specs at all - so what if the processor is three times faster than the PS2's? Who cares if Nvidia have produced the best graphics chip on any console EVER?

OK, so these things do matter of course but one thing has come across more than anything - the games.

At first the launch line up looked pretty pathetic, Oddworld, Malice, NHL?!!! But you'll also find Halo, DOA3 and Project Gotham.
Halo is of course an exclusive, DOA3 is a sequel but for those who have called Proj Gotham a Dreamcast port need slapping. An additional city, new cars (which are now damageable), an officially licensed soundtrack and the ability to use your own music in-game!
Dreamcast port? I think not.

So I shall be there, handing over a serious sum of money for a potentially risky purchase but Microsoft have the ability to pull this off.
They have the hardware, they're starting to get some superb games and they certainly have some new ideas to give Sony and Nintendo something to think about.

Don't hate M/Soft for the PC dominating money machine that they are - praise them for joining the games market (especially after losing Sega from Hardware production).

See you at midnight (or perhaps not)....
Wed 13/03/02 at 11:29
Regular
"BOSE"
and what shops do u know that'll open at midnite? :S
Wed 13/03/02 at 12:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Good to see another supporter for the Xbox.
Wed 13/03/02 at 12:54
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
1) You must care about the specs, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned them, and raved about them
2) Project Gotham Racing IS a port of the DC version, just with a new city and better looking cars. The environments look no better.

I'm still getting an XBox though. HALO and Rallisport Challenge are too irresistable.
Wed 13/03/02 at 13:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
As far as I know, EB and Virgin will be opening at midnight.

Can't wait to pick up my console. ;-)
Wed 13/03/02 at 14:25
Regular
"BOSE"
savatt1668 wrote:
> As far as I know, EB and Virgin will be opening at midnight.

y r u in here if u're buying ur stuff from other shops? :S
special reserve's the best. £7.50- magazine every month. 3 gift worth up 2 £40. discount prices eg: saving £2 on every game u buy. cheaper accessories etc :P
Wed 13/03/02 at 14:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I buy stuff from SR a lot. But I wanted to trade in a load of stuff towards my X-Box and SR didn't particularly impress me with their offers on trade ins in the past.

Can't argue with the fact that they have great prices, thats why I shop there a lot, but in this case I was better off going elsewhere for my console. No doubt I'll be buying X-Box games from SR a lot though.

And if this hasn't nailed any chance of ever winning GAD again I'll be surprised. ;-)

Mr Snuggly has probably black listed me from GAD. :-(

Come to think of it, I have 15 reddies to use. I wonder if theres going to be any new things to get soon with them.
Wed 13/03/02 at 14:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Plus another reason was for the midnight opening - I'm a complete games junky so something like that is a big bonus for me. ;-)
Wed 13/03/02 at 15:35
GpotterUK wrote:
> 1) You must care about the specs, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned them,
> and raved about them
2) Project Gotham Racing IS a port of the DC version, just
> with a new city and better looking cars. The environments look no
> better.

I'm still getting an XBox though. HALO and Rallisport Challenge are
> too irresistable.

Talk about giving me a hard time just to agree with me!!!

1 - Of course the specs matter but I mean that they're not the only thing that's impressive.
2 - My point was that it's not MERELY a port. Yes, it's got the same ground rules but there are actually new (damageable) cars, new tracks (ie New York) and an officially licensed soundtrack.
On top of that how can you say the environments are no better?!!!!! My god, it's not exactly a massive difference but things such as draw distance are vastly improved (especially in San Francisco) I completed MSR by the way, this isn't just based on loose information.

Anyway, glad you're equally keen to get hold of one.
Sheesh.
Wed 13/03/02 at 15:35
Regular
"BOSE"
what's GAD? :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.