GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox live + Modem Questions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 13:59
Regular
Just to let you know, im a completely newbie when it comes to networking and hardware.
Soon as my area gets broadband (Which hopefully shouldnt be too long according to bt) i'll be investing in a broadband modem, and suscribing to bt broadband.(And by that time hopefully Xbox live will be on sale too!) Since I hardly use the internet on my crappy home computer im not going to bother with a router (I dont even think it has enough ram to cope with a broadband modem either!!!), so is it as easy as just buying the modem and plugging it into the ethernet input on the back of my xbox or is there more involved?
Im just planning ahead.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:37
Regular
"Unretired"
What do I need a router for? Im only using the connection for Xbox Live only, no sharing.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:32
Regular
"LiveTag=Lord Justic"
The options are, if you choose an isp where you get a choice of modem, choose one which supplies a ethernet modem, or get an isp that only supplies service and buy your own modem, without the need for a router if you havent got it yet
Mon 18/11/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Unretired"
*gasp* £80 AS WELL AS BUYING THE MODEM!!!!

I already have the ethernet cable thingy, came with my computer for hooking it up with broadband modems.
Mon 18/11/02 at 12:17
Yey I am lucky I still had the easiest route, even though I needed my MAC adress from telewest.
Sun 17/11/02 at 17:57
Regular
http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/choose.htm
Sun 17/11/02 at 15:43
get a router/switch, maplin do one for £80 or so and grab a small network cable but don't pay anymore than a few quid and don't by the x box link cable as it's basically an ethernet cable with a higher price tag ;)
Sun 17/11/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
pop over to www.xbox.com and you should find some sort of link detailing the options.
Sun 17/11/02 at 14:07
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
There's more involved, as it's most likely the Modem will have a USB connection.

I'll let someone else with more knowledge explain what your options are.
Sun 17/11/02 at 13:59
Regular
"Unretired"
Just to let you know, im a completely newbie when it comes to networking and hardware.
Soon as my area gets broadband (Which hopefully shouldnt be too long according to bt) i'll be investing in a broadband modem, and suscribing to bt broadband.(And by that time hopefully Xbox live will be on sale too!) Since I hardly use the internet on my crappy home computer im not going to bother with a router (I dont even think it has enough ram to cope with a broadband modem either!!!), so is it as easy as just buying the modem and plugging it into the ethernet input on the back of my xbox or is there more involved?
Im just planning ahead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.