GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox live + Modem Questions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 13:59
Regular
Just to let you know, im a completely newbie when it comes to networking and hardware.
Soon as my area gets broadband (Which hopefully shouldnt be too long according to bt) i'll be investing in a broadband modem, and suscribing to bt broadband.(And by that time hopefully Xbox live will be on sale too!) Since I hardly use the internet on my crappy home computer im not going to bother with a router (I dont even think it has enough ram to cope with a broadband modem either!!!), so is it as easy as just buying the modem and plugging it into the ethernet input on the back of my xbox or is there more involved?
Im just planning ahead.
Sat 23/11/02 at 22:17
yea I think you can as I am using one but I rent mine off Telewest.
Sat 23/11/02 at 21:19
Regular
"Unretired"
But hang on, can you not buy modems with ethernet not USB plugs?
That would save the cost of a router.
Tue 19/11/02 at 14:26
have fun with xbox live Hallo???

DO you actually have xbox live now or you gonna wait till retail release?
Tue 19/11/02 at 13:30
Regular
I'm just in the process of setting up a router to share my PC and Xbox on my Broadband connection. Once it's up and running successfully I'll give you all the details.
Tue 19/11/02 at 13:29
"slightlyshortertagl"
thanks, i had a spare network card which i bought by mistake, it's been sitting around for a while... woohoo i have a use for my £15 network card :0)
Tue 19/11/02 at 13:27
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
There are 2 ways of doing this:

1: This way is expensive, get a switch and plug your 2 PC’s, Broadband modem and Xbox Live in to it and you should be fine. If you have a USB Modem than you will need a router as well.

2: Share your Internet connection through your network and add a second network card to your main computer. Plug Xbox into your second card, enable Internet sharing and it will work.
Tue 19/11/02 at 12:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
here's my problem help me.

I've got a simple PC 2 PC network up and running. I want to share my up and coming (tommorow hopefully) Broadband connection. Thats my first problem, although it isnt massively important because of XBox LIVE. When I do get XBox LIVE i will have a problem. How do i share my broadband connection between the PCs and my XBox.I need help about my second problem more than the first. However all help would be appreciated :0)

Thanks
Tue 19/11/02 at 12:31
I have a ethernet modem as I had to buy a ethernet card for £15 off telewest and we rent the modem so if it ever breaks they will replace it as long as your with blueyonder so thats pretty nifty :D
Mon 18/11/02 at 21:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> What do I need a router for? Im only using the connection for Xbox
> Live only, no sharing.

Because you NEED a PC to have XBox Live. You dont need a router but you would need a Network card in your PC.
Mon 18/11/02 at 20:20
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Because the standard modems have USB plugs on them. If you can find a USB socket on your Xbox that's fine, but don't be searching for too long.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.