GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are we ready for the XBox?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 17:40
Regular
Well tomorrow sees the launch of the XBox, are we all still feeling happy with our playstations? I bought my playstation only a few weeks ago because the xbox will cost a hell of a lot more, once u have bout the console a few games and cables were looking at £400 for the xbox, where as the playstation £300. I will admit that the Xbox looks very superior technically but I wasnt prepared to pay for it. I dont like the ethics of microsoft and think they are getting to big for their boots. Also the attraction for me of the Playstation was the range of games already available for PS2 & PS1.

Will the PS2 survive? Any last regrets people?
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:08
were discussing the competition to the Ps2
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:05
Regular
hang on a moment, why are we talking about the xbox in the sony forum??
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
The problem is that Microsofts online plans are;

a) Broadband - whilst this offer excellent potential it also offers the potenetial to destroy your bank balance, and Microsoft will charge for accessing their network. 56k is at least being offered by Sony and will at least be affordable to all.

b) Games only. Microsoft have said they're interested in just games, not online browsing, whereas Sony are going for the full experience. Now, whilst many of us have PCS, many don't, and even those with PCs would probably like to be able to quickly dial up to the net via the tv instead of booting the PC up, and hopefully Sony's browser will be more stable than IE5......

I actually sold my PS2 and all 17 games about a month ago to get an X Box, but last week I played on Amped, PGR and Halo and wasn't impressed, in fact, for some reason, Amped's graphic reminded me of the ropey Delta Force 2 on the PC, it looked very voxel'ish, esepcially the shadows. They dint look real, it seemed like they morphed in and out of objects ! PGR seemed closer to Ridge Racer 5 than GT3, and Halo was good but not "buy £300 console good". So I went out last monday and bought a PS2 again and a load of games (12) for what I could have bought an X box and 4 games, 1 pad and dvd remote for !. I also don't like hte returns policy Microsoft are adopting, its very orientated towards trying to prove everything is the consumers fault, though it is possible to get a replacement - I doubt it will be as friendly as Sony usually are......

So yes, I think the PS2 is here to stay because its the games that count, and gameplay. Microsoft have hte games but the gameplay ? Not much of it, though they do look pretty :P
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:56
Regular
I will want to get the PS2 hard drive (£100) and the modem (£50) so that makes my ps2 the total of £350 copared to X-box £300, i wonder if it would of been better to get an x-box and download a ps2 emulator of the internet.
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:51
Regular
"  "
I honestly can't beleive that the release is tommorrow....i doesn't seem like it. When PS2 was out people were losing sleep with excitement.....this is the first mention of the xbox i heard this week. When i played on one i can see why though....not brilliant at all...amped was soo slow in frame rate and Gameplay....Project gotham was glitchy and HALO was no more fun than quake...nothing too ground breaking....i hated the controller aswell...and i think my work top would collapse under the weight of the console :D

It isn't all that bad though......may it only be 32 bit we should see some good titles.....i would have one for free.....but at the mo...the PS2 wins by a mile.
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:46
I hink the Playstation 2 will stay strong because when the X Box the price will drop and then more people will buy the Playstation 2 nobody in my school nobody has order the X Box it will drop like the sega saturn nobody has it apart from a couple of people.
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:42
Regular
IGN have it as 4p, or 16p with 4 X-Boxs.

30fps, though they say that is enough, even when TimeSplitters roars along at 60.
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:08
"High polygon count"
I'm extremely happy with my PS2, and have no intention of selling it any time soon.

I've not ruled out an Xbox, but I won't be getting one at launch. Sure, it's technically superior - but not as much as some people would have you believe.

A friend of mine might be getting an Xbox, so I'll probably have a go on his first... unless he gets a PS2 instead, which he is also tempted to do simply based on the games available.

I had no intention of getting an Xbox, but then changed my mind once I saw screenshots of Halo and Wreckless. But in all honesty, and placing all bias aside, the more I actually see of Xbox in action, the less impressed I am.

The friend mentioned above brought round the Xbox mag with the cover-mounted video, and I didn't see anything that yelled "BUY ME NOW!"

Wreckless looks a little simple, PGR looks like an arcadey GT3, and Halo - while looking mighty fine in single player - seemed to suffer a lot of slowdown on two-player split-screen mode; no 4-player mode was shown (if it has one), but I dread to think what it would be like.

So for now at least, my PS2 will remain my platform of choice. Maybe in a year or so when the price of Xbox drops, or maybe before that is a definite 'buy me' game arrives. But at the moment... no.
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:05
Regular
Will the PS2 survive? Certainly. With its current user base, even if not a single PS2 was sold, it`d still be able to survive happily until PS3 arrives. However, its gonna continue selling well. Look at Japan and the US to see that PS2 barely takes a dent in sales. The UK will see little difference. A small dip is expected, as with any launch, but the PS2 will go on strong.

Any regrets? Well, yes, but not PS2 related. Mostly work.
Tue 12/03/02 at 17:55
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Sorry the xbox is out thursday not tomorrow. Gaw i should know that its me dads bday. Perhaps i should get him an xbox!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.