GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crummy computer games stores"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/11/02 at 19:02
Regular
Nowadays you can't go into GAME without encountering gross incompetence.
I mean half the people working there don't know anything about games, and the other half seem to be so biased it's unbelievable. I was in GAME the other day with my cousin, refunding a game.

Whilst I was browsing through the Xbox rack, I saw a 12-year old with his mother, who seemed to be fairly interested in buying an Xbox. Then, a member of staff walked over and said asked if he could be of any help. The mother replied that her son was interested in buying a new games console, and GAME attendant replied "Well, you don't want to be looking there, then."
When the boy said that his mate had Halo, and he had played it and thought it was a good game, the sales attendant said that "it's the only decent game," and by next year "Xbox will be finished"

He then took them to the PS2 section of the store and showed some games, talked through the specs and let him play a store demo (set up behind the counter). The mother then said "We'll get that one then," but the boy didn't seem too enthusiastic. Nevertheless, they left with a PS2.

I mean wouldn't the store want to shift MORE Xboxes anyway?

I have also come across staff who seemed to know nothing about games, and when I saw someone hunting down Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast a while ago they informed them that it had been "cancelled," even though it was sitting on the Dreamcast rack further back in the store which I pointed out to this customer. The attendant then looked embarrased when he had to check out the game he had just denied even existed.

There are some good stores where games can be purchased however - Computer Exchange stores are helpful, friendly and feature games-crazy staff who keep talking about downloading the latest Everquest patches, and in ePlay, when I was picking up Jet Set Radio Future, the staff commented on how it was excellent.

However, I can see the games industry going down a horribly under-represented route if GAME, one of the biggest games stores in the country, continue to hire mis-informed staff, and as more and more unsuspecting members od the public decide to venture into computer games for the first time, they could easily be misled.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:20
Regular
They wouldn't let you either. Anyway, last week I bought The Thing in Woolies for a cheap price, and never got asked my age. WHOOO...
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:21
Regular
i have a small game shop called computer paradise... tons of games for EACH format and they dont question u about what u are buying!
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:23
Regular
i think the x-box has a load of decent games not only halko but dead or alive, progect gothem star wars jedi knight 2 jedi outcast but as in my house i have an xbox and a ps2 the games on the xbox in the house r halo,dead or alive,prisoner of war,star wars obi wan,star wars jedi star fighter and on the ps2 i have wwe smackdown 3,gta3,gt3,red faction and unreal tournament so for christmas i am getting a game-cube with wwe wrestlemania x8, sonic adventure battle 2,star wars bounty hunter i am saying that because none of the games we got r from special reserve,hmv or virgin not from game because they were selling a lot of the games for £50.00
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:24
Regular
There's G-Force in Glasgow, not bad at all...
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:24
Regular
omg plz use better grammar....... even i know how to.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:31
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Heh, I seen this sort of thing happened, I posted about it in the Ninty forum a while ago. It was honestly quite bad seeing as GAME is such a big games retail company.

er-no should just sort em all out.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:48
Regular
"¬_¬"
The fact is, you can't expect perfect service from anywhere. If you see gross negligence in a GAME shop, complain. And do offer YOUR advice to the person. It's happened a number of times to me:

Firstly, once upon a time somebody was looking in CEX for a copy of Rogue Squadron on the N64. He asked at the counter, unfortunately no stock. I had a copy, told the man as he was leaving, then went to 'trade' the game (ie see what I could get for it). Added a fiver, sold. And the shop assistant didn't bat an eyelid.

Secondly, I asked a shop assistant in Game if I could buy GTA3. No, naturally. Asked lots of bystanders to do it for me, lots of 'no's'. Except somebody who looked like an ex-con. In front of the staff, he handed over the game and the receipt. Despite being illegal, the staff still did nothing.

And the funniest had to be when they were doing those £1 game things, when you bought a special sticker item. I went to CEX and got Shaun Palmer's for a fiver. I went to EB, asked if I could trade for Rush Hour (saying I bought it there, of course). Got a trade, great (been looking for RH for ages but couldn't find anywhere I could buy it for less than a tenner). Great.

Game shop staff are incompetent. Big chain staff know little about game, indie staff know too much and act elitest. It's smaller chain shops, such as CEX and ePlay, where you find the friendly staff. And I've benefited. Oh yes. (god bless queue jumping, and stealing held items :D)
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:51
Regular
I really hate the idiot "know-it-alls" in CEX Hounslow PC Department. Luckily, Steve Dunn has come back and is now working in Hounslow again. WHOOOOOO...
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Hmmm....."
½pint wrote:
>(god bless queue jumping, and stealing held
> items :D)

God bless them with all our hearts... :-)
Mon 18/11/02 at 20:17
Regular
POPideePOP. ;c)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.