GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crummy computer games stores"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/11/02 at 19:02
Regular
Nowadays you can't go into GAME without encountering gross incompetence.
I mean half the people working there don't know anything about games, and the other half seem to be so biased it's unbelievable. I was in GAME the other day with my cousin, refunding a game.

Whilst I was browsing through the Xbox rack, I saw a 12-year old with his mother, who seemed to be fairly interested in buying an Xbox. Then, a member of staff walked over and said asked if he could be of any help. The mother replied that her son was interested in buying a new games console, and GAME attendant replied "Well, you don't want to be looking there, then."
When the boy said that his mate had Halo, and he had played it and thought it was a good game, the sales attendant said that "it's the only decent game," and by next year "Xbox will be finished"

He then took them to the PS2 section of the store and showed some games, talked through the specs and let him play a store demo (set up behind the counter). The mother then said "We'll get that one then," but the boy didn't seem too enthusiastic. Nevertheless, they left with a PS2.

I mean wouldn't the store want to shift MORE Xboxes anyway?

I have also come across staff who seemed to know nothing about games, and when I saw someone hunting down Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast a while ago they informed them that it had been "cancelled," even though it was sitting on the Dreamcast rack further back in the store which I pointed out to this customer. The attendant then looked embarrased when he had to check out the game he had just denied even existed.

There are some good stores where games can be purchased however - Computer Exchange stores are helpful, friendly and feature games-crazy staff who keep talking about downloading the latest Everquest patches, and in ePlay, when I was picking up Jet Set Radio Future, the staff commented on how it was excellent.

However, I can see the games industry going down a horribly under-represented route if GAME, one of the biggest games stores in the country, continue to hire mis-informed staff, and as more and more unsuspecting members od the public decide to venture into computer games for the first time, they could easily be misled.
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:44
Regular
Knick Knack wrote:
> That store assistant had some sense in him!
> Down with the Xbox!

But he didn't even tell him why he shouldn't get a GC.......... PS2, most expensive... hmm....
Tue 19/11/02 at 19:32
Regular
This boy went into GAME and bought really bad Gamecube games just because they had "good graphics". He bought Spiderman when he could have got a superb game like Super Mario Sunshine
Tue 19/11/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
That store assistant had some sense in him!
Down with the Xbox!
Tue 19/11/02 at 19:03
Regular
"¬_¬"
pb wrote:
> What's wrong with small indie shops? I love that 'High Fidelity' type
> atmosphere.

Perhaps, but you're forgetting one thing - Jack Black. No Jack Black, no High Fidelity.
Tue 19/11/02 at 18:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
You coming in then?
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
You will only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow.

Also, where was the shop Korg, so I can phone up and find out about the staff member and the PS2 set up BEHIND the counter.
Mon 18/11/02 at 21:18
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I can't remember now
Mon 18/11/02 at 21:17
Regular
"Hmmm....."
HäÐÐo¢k® wrote:
> Sorry, just gotta add this. As Clint Eastwood said, "Opinions are
> like a*sholes, everbody's got one."
> I love that.

I thought it went "Opinions are like a*sholes, everybody's got one, and they usually stink." :-)
Mon 18/11/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Sorry, just gotta add this. As Clint Eastwood said, "Opinions are like a*sholes, everbody's got one."
I love that.
Mon 18/11/02 at 21:11
Regular
"Hmmm....."
HäÐÐo¢k® wrote:
> Here here!
> I thought the bit a bit him being 12, and you hearing everything that
> was said was just that lil' bit dodgy......
Well I meant to put that he looked 12, not was 12, and also, the PS2 was set up behind the counter because it was hooked up three monitors attached to the ceiling, displaying demos of PS2 games. The store was pretty small, and there wern't a lot of people there, so it was easy to hear everything being said.
And er-no, I'm just using this as an example of what MOST Game stores are like. I have heard of there being some good ones as well, but just because your store is great doesn't mean that all of them are. I guess it could work the other way around anyway. Guess you are entitled to your opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.