GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vice city- A little disappointing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Sat 23/11/02 at 21:39
Regular
I must say that, having played Vice city for a few hours on my friends PS2 (perhaps not the best way to judge a game, admittedly) I felt that Vice City didn't really live up to the standard set in the first one. Not that the scripting or characters were worng, it just has a bit of an odd feel to it. It has some cool new features such as the helicopters, motorbikes and new weapons, and some good Old Skool 80's tracks but it feel very different to the old game. Firstly, i feel it was a mistake to set it in the eighties as the retro feel is vastly overplayed, and the colour scheme is to bright and distinctly camp. I don't know wheter its me being fussy, but i did grow rather attached to the sound track in the previous game, and although there are some brilliant 80's anthems the speech on the radio is far less funny than before. Overall city design has also taken a bit of a step backwards, i don't like the fact that the city is already so accessible, as i felt getting new bits, and new features as you progressed was a large part of the fun.

I suspect i am just being picky, and i admit i will be straight down the shops on the day of PC release ( ten years time if i am lucky), It just didn't feel right to begin with, but i suppose that was probably because i haven't played it long enough. When i start playing i will more than likely become hopelessly addicted, but at the moment i am probably trying to convince my self it didn't feel as good as the last one to make the wait easier!
Tue 26/11/02 at 12:50
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> if this game had originated on the PC, GTA:VC would have been an
> expansion pack - like The Sims: Unleashed, rather than a full price
> sequel.
>
> Oh well, milk the PS2 dolts for all they're worth. And you guys say
> that Nintendo rip people off.
>
> *chuckles*

Just because you couldn't get GTA VC on GC, never mind the game wouldn't fit on that small little disc. As a Ninty fan you must be very wise and would never buy a Mario game that was no more than a sequel ie: Mario Sunshine, doesn't really matter what it is called if Mario is in the title it must be brilliant or is it that Ninty have only a clapped out old plumber to revive there miserable line up.
Tue 26/11/02 at 12:40
"Darkness, always"
What it is doesn't alter the fundamental fact that it's a rip off.

*shrug*

Doesn't affect me. Wouldn't own the game if people were giving it away.
Tue 26/11/02 at 12:35
Regular
it might have been this, it might have been that, but right now it's exclusive to ps2 and loads of people are buying it. If it does get a pc release, it will be a full price game.
Tue 26/11/02 at 10:50
"Darkness, always"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> It wouldn't, because it has a new graphics engine. It is coming ot
> the PC - as a full-priced game.

My point is, if it had been a PC game, they wouldn't have revamped the grpahics for some minor improvements to justify a huge development cost, and therefore WOULD have been an add-on pack, rather than a full priced game.

Capiche?
Tue 26/11/02 at 10:46
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Ashley wrote:
> i must admit i'm confused by IBs statement
>
> Think of the artist formerly known as Prince.

didn't marilyn manson do it as well? no i thought i understood the joke but I failed to comprehend how it linked into the conversation. Oh well
Mon 25/11/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> GasMask wrote:
> Hm, I did think the colours were abit silly
>
> Quite realistic for 80's Miami... hell, even Miami 2002! :-)

Oh ssh :oP
Mon 25/11/02 at 17:59
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Yes, but when? Some say January, some say how long does it take a camel to cross a desert?
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:21
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> if this game had originated on the PC, GTA:VC would have been an
> expansion pack - like The Sims: Unleashed, rather than a full price
> sequel.

It wouldn't, because it has a new graphics engine. It is coming ot the PC - as a full-priced game.
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:18
"Darkness, always"
if this game had originated on the PC, GTA:VC would have been an expansion pack - like The Sims: Unleashed, rather than a full price sequel.

Oh well, milk the PS2 dolts for all they're worth. And you guys say that Nintendo rip people off.

*chuckles*
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:04
Regular
Played it several times on a friends ps2. I do prefer it to GTA3. The graphics are better, and also the sound is much improved. A lot more detailed than GTA3. The original post said the OTT neon lighting was a bit on the camp side. Lets not forget, this game is supposed to be a bit of a p*** take of the 1980's - not an accurate recreation. The addition of different vehicles, bike's and so on is a worth while update. Also has a larger selection of weapons. At the end of the day, GTA-VC could never make as big an impact as GTA3, because we already have, well, GTA3.

So, I think it IS better, but not ground breaking. More, slightly better in lots of different ways, ie, Graphics, sound, details, etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.