GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hollow Victory ? Over-reaction ? Free PR ......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Hitman 2'.
Sun 24/11/02 at 22:14
Regular
So Hitman 2 is off sale in Woolworths and Pc World, and a few other places keen to be seen as non racist. Great eh ? Erm, but it got past the BBFC, ELSPA, all reviews, and retailers, without being seen as racist until now. Does that tell us something ?

So it's congratulations to the Sikh organisation that pushed for this, I dare say that they have increased game sales in the majority of shops that have not banned it - Newsround reported Woolworths had received 100's of complaints when the real figure is closer to the number of fingers on my two hands...but banning a low ranked chart title all makes for good family friendly PR doesn't it :) Incidentally the same organisation did kind of need to raise it's PR level didn't it, and what better a target than the eager for acceptance games industry.

Whatsmore, this weekend there have been more people ask for the game than before at just where I work, and interest prior to this week has been 0 - we'd sold about 3 copies - and people's replies when given the explanation are most definitely not understanding ones.

Has the Sikh organisation not wondered about the wisdom of banning a game predominantly appealing to males, and I daresay that, because of the percentage of the population mix, white males ? Not only have they needlessly annoyed many people, they've given the far right groups yet more material to add to their repetoire....nice move guys.

Expect to see;

* Starfox bannned by the anti hunt lobby - because Fox can be hurt in the game

*USSOCOM on PS2 banned as you kill non english skeaping terrorists - implying that everyone who does not speak english is a terrorists

*Conflict Desert Storm removed from sale - suggest the Iraqi army is hostile towards other nations and is racist.

*All Medal Of Honour games banned - shows Nazi's as evil killers

*Mario - suggest all Italians are cheeky plumbers

*GTA VC - Too many racist scenes/ideas to list

*Max Payne for it's portrayal of Satanists, drug users, and general low lifes

*Feminist groups attacking Tomb Raider, Buffy, Kameo, and not to mention Beach Volleyball on the GC, for their offensive portrayal (to small minority groups) of women. Dead Or Alive Beach Volleyball's release is now hotly tipped to lead to an overthrow of the government unless banned.

Oh dear, looks like no game will be safe.....and that's not counting all those games with white, christian, various headgear wearing characters, which no one has really found offensive before, in fact I'd hazard a guess that most of us could not care less what a character looks like or wears. If the game is good we'll play it, end of story.

Y'see, games get a bit boring when some people don't take them for what they are, just games.
Those who saw Hitman 2 as racist need to get a life, and if saying that makes me racist then it shows how stupid this country has become...

And a note to anyone, if there is a terrorist in a game then they are solely a terrorist and nothing else, as previously pointed out since 9/11, those claiming to be Islamic terrorists are truly not, as that faith does not teach the violence they cause, nor are Sikh's encouraged to do likewise. They are not Sikh terrorists in Hitman 2, they are targets, terrorists.

~~Belldandy~~

PS post adapted from my reply in FOG Chat
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:04
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I know, you kill many more people in the game than just ethnic minorities - aren't all killings just as bad? No? Oh...
Mon 25/11/02 at 13:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice post.
And as an adjunct, I'll bring up an age old complaint.
Merely to play Devil's Advocate - any views expressed are solely for the purpose of highlighting the notion of discrimination in games

(disclaimer put for stupid people that might get confused and come after me with flaming torches)
----

Hitman 2 banned for Sikh-related violence complaints. Tomb Raider yelled at by feminists and PC obsessed people. GTA3 screamed at for corrupting the youth, Yardies, Mafia etc.

Who's protecting me then? Who's representing my views and making sure I dont suffer discrimination?
I mean being a white middle-class male I am to blame for every single thing wrong in this world.
Sexual harassment? That's me
Racial hated? That's me
Who's bothering to say "excuse me, but the portrayal of white males in movies/video games/media is unfair and derogatory"
Seen the Pot Noodle ads with the blokes acting dumb? Now, imagine that with Muslims? Outcry and fatwahs all around.

Jokes in commercials about blokes being crap at housework, obsessed with cars, forgetting birthdays etc? What if I found that offensive?
What if, as a white male, I feel slighted by Max Payne at the suggestion that all white-males have the potential to be gun-toting maniacs, enraged and on a bloodlust frenzy?

Anyone? Where do I complain? I'm made to feel responsible for football violence, sexual discrimination at the workplace, racial violence and all manner of rubbish.

Where's my voice?
Balls to Sikh complaints.
It's a video game, get over it.
Sun 24/11/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
So Hitman 2 is off sale in Woolworths and Pc World, and a few other places keen to be seen as non racist. Great eh ? Erm, but it got past the BBFC, ELSPA, all reviews, and retailers, without being seen as racist until now. Does that tell us something ?

So it's congratulations to the Sikh organisation that pushed for this, I dare say that they have increased game sales in the majority of shops that have not banned it - Newsround reported Woolworths had received 100's of complaints when the real figure is closer to the number of fingers on my two hands...but banning a low ranked chart title all makes for good family friendly PR doesn't it :) Incidentally the same organisation did kind of need to raise it's PR level didn't it, and what better a target than the eager for acceptance games industry.

Whatsmore, this weekend there have been more people ask for the game than before at just where I work, and interest prior to this week has been 0 - we'd sold about 3 copies - and people's replies when given the explanation are most definitely not understanding ones.

Has the Sikh organisation not wondered about the wisdom of banning a game predominantly appealing to males, and I daresay that, because of the percentage of the population mix, white males ? Not only have they needlessly annoyed many people, they've given the far right groups yet more material to add to their repetoire....nice move guys.

Expect to see;

* Starfox bannned by the anti hunt lobby - because Fox can be hurt in the game

*USSOCOM on PS2 banned as you kill non english skeaping terrorists - implying that everyone who does not speak english is a terrorists

*Conflict Desert Storm removed from sale - suggest the Iraqi army is hostile towards other nations and is racist.

*All Medal Of Honour games banned - shows Nazi's as evil killers

*Mario - suggest all Italians are cheeky plumbers

*GTA VC - Too many racist scenes/ideas to list

*Max Payne for it's portrayal of Satanists, drug users, and general low lifes

*Feminist groups attacking Tomb Raider, Buffy, Kameo, and not to mention Beach Volleyball on the GC, for their offensive portrayal (to small minority groups) of women. Dead Or Alive Beach Volleyball's release is now hotly tipped to lead to an overthrow of the government unless banned.

Oh dear, looks like no game will be safe.....and that's not counting all those games with white, christian, various headgear wearing characters, which no one has really found offensive before, in fact I'd hazard a guess that most of us could not care less what a character looks like or wears. If the game is good we'll play it, end of story.

Y'see, games get a bit boring when some people don't take them for what they are, just games.
Those who saw Hitman 2 as racist need to get a life, and if saying that makes me racist then it shows how stupid this country has become...

And a note to anyone, if there is a terrorist in a game then they are solely a terrorist and nothing else, as previously pointed out since 9/11, those claiming to be Islamic terrorists are truly not, as that faith does not teach the violence they cause, nor are Sikh's encouraged to do likewise. They are not Sikh terrorists in Hitman 2, they are targets, terrorists.

~~Belldandy~~

PS post adapted from my reply in FOG Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.