GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What to buy for Christmas?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/11/02 at 13:41
Regular
I know this post will thoroughly put the cat among the pigeons, but what the hell!

I don't understand how anybody in their right mind can consider getting an Xbox instead of a Playstation 2. Okay, if you're particularly well off and you've already got a Playstation 2, by all means treat yourself to an Xbox as well.

As far as the Xbox is concerned, the only Xbox only game i've played which I thought was good was Halo, which i'll admit IS breath-taking. But most other games are nothing special at all.

Plus, you've got to admit, the Xbox is on a downward slope and is picking up speed fast!

But why get a Playstation 2 instead? There are many great games, etc... but i'll sum it up in 5 little words:

GRAND.... THEFT.... AUTO..... VICE..... CITY!
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:52
Regular
doublezero wrote:
> Research. I've played lots of games across all 3 next-generation
> consoles. As for more games to come, well there's Halo 2 (in about
> 2010!)

Halo 2 is coming out 2003.

There are many excellent games on the Xbox/Gamecube and for once I actually agree with what Maverick was saying.
Tue 26/11/02 at 10:43
Regular
"cant think of one.."
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> And for the "there is no good games" statement, then just
> look at (was it sav or silents) savlents 785's post about buying an
> xbox, theres at least 100 great games in the list.

My point was that there are few good games that are exclusive to the Xbox console. I should know because my housemate owns the console and i've played a lot of the games.

> Also do you know all about the xbox's hardware? Nope
> Heard about Xbox live and its features? Nope

I've also played the Xbox online. I admit it is good, but personally I think online gaming is overrated.

> I realize im a little short tempered, its just I hate children who
> tell me that I have wasted £200, when I know better than them.

I'm not a child and are you sure it wasn't £300 you wasted like so many Xbox owners. I don't care about the sad excuse for a reward package, cos it only offered games which were either substandard (NBA, Rallisport Challenge...) or games which everybody already owned (Halo...)

> Next time kid, do A little research into the console. Theres plenty
> more superb games where halo come from, trust me ;-).

Research. I've played lots of games across all 3 next-generation consoles. As for more games to come, well there's Halo 2 (in about 2010!)
Tue 26/11/02 at 08:34
Regular
Only a deluded mind can stand where the ground is not.
Mon 25/11/02 at 23:41
Regular
doublezero wrote:
> I don't understand how anybody in their right mind can consider
> getting an Xbox instead of a Playstation 2. Okay, if you're
> particularly well off and you've already got a Playstation 2, by all
> means treat yourself to an Xbox as well.

And I don't understand why anyone would think the GC isn't the best console, or that Sunshine isn't the best platformer, or why Starfox is so bad for some people. It's not my or your fault - it's something called taste or opinion.

> As far as the Xbox is concerned, the only Xbox only game i've played
> which I thought was good was Halo, which i'll admit IS breath-taking.
> But most other games are nothing special at all.

Well, I'll give you that. Halo's the only game I'd get an X-Box for too and as much as I'd prefer the console version - I'd settle for the PC one if it meant I didn't have to part with £160.00. However, some people really like loads of X-Box games - you have to respect that.

> Plus, you've got to admit, the Xbox is on a downward slope and is
> picking up speed fast!

That's completely unfair. In fact, I'd say the upcoming games on X-Box are on par, if not better than the PS2's. Just look at exclusives like Fable, BC, Deus Ex 2 + Halo 2 (PC titles, though), Shenmue II + III and probably others. The PS2 has The Getaway, Tomb Raider and.. erm... an impressive back catalogue of games. There's no denying it - the X-Box will soon be nearing the PS2 in terms of back catalogue quality.

> But why get a Playstation 2 instead? There are many great games,
> etc... but i'll sum it up in 5 little words:
>
> GRAND.... THEFT.... AUTO..... VICE..... CITY!

Big deal. Great if you haven't got GTA3, disappointing if you do. It's just the game GTA3 should have been.
Mon 25/11/02 at 21:26
Well, a lot of my friends have a PS2, and really every time I see them playing, it just makes me very glad I have an xbox...

I made my choice and I stand by it.
Mon 25/11/02 at 19:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
What makes me laugh is that he crows about Halo being the only decent game on X-Box, then goes on to name only one game that makes it worth getting a PS2 for. ;-))

The X-box's top titles easily compete with the best PS2 ones. The PS2 of course has a larger library of games - unfortunatly around 70% of them are crap. I owned a PS2 and a PS1 before it so I got to play plenty of games on both consoles.

Anyway, back to Phantom Crash now. ;-)
Mon 25/11/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Unretired"
doublezero wrote:
> As far as the Xbox is concerned, the only Xbox only game i've played
> which I thought was good was Halo,

May I ask is it the only Xbox game youve played aswell?
Hopefully you'll tell me all the rest of the games you've tried for it. (Awaits mentions of rubbish PS2 ports)
Mon 25/11/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Unretired"
To the average joe gamer stealing cars and killing and doing pointless missions over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over IS FUN?????????

Im not going to sell my xbox and buy a PS2 just for vice city am I?
So many of my mates are making such a big mistake, going for a ps2 just because of vice city!

And for the "there is no good games" statement, then just look at (was it sav or silents) savlents 785's post about buying an xbox, theres at least 100 great games in the list.

Also do you know all about the xbox's hardware? Nope
Heard about Xbox live and its features? Nope

I realize im a little short tempered, its just I hate children who tell me that I have wasted £200, when I know better than them.

Next time kid, do A little research into the console. Theres plenty more superb games where halo come from, trust me ;-).
Mon 25/11/02 at 17:39
one word:

fool!
Mon 25/11/02 at 17:03
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I believe I can go one better and sum it up in 3 words.

You're. An. Idiot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.