GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy X - The Ending Scenes...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy X'.
Mon 25/11/02 at 22:53
Regular
OK....so you've read this far....that means one of three things.

1) You've got the game and haven't finished it yet, in which case I strongly advise you to stop reading now, because you really should see the ending for yourself
2) You've completed FFX, in which case read on and discuss
3) It's a thread by FM, therefore worth reading. I can accept that but still, if you fall under number one above, stop reading NOW.

I know there was a thread on this before but I think it's archived now.

So...the way I see it the ending could be one of two things:

Firstly, a blitzball player called Tidus falls asleep, has a dream, then wakes up. This, in my view, is a bit of a cop out in the same vein as 'Bobby Ewing wakes up in the shower' scene from Dallas.

Secondly, and more complicated, is that Tidus WAS actually part of the dream of the Fayth, conjured up by them to end the dream for them, because they did actually exist and they were actually tired of dreaming. Taking this ending further, once the Fayths were defeated (including Sin, who was drawing his power from all those Fayths just before you got to Zanarkand Ruins) then why was the final scene added of Tidus waking up and swimming towards the viewer? Did the Fayths give him a second chance and conjure him up again to be with Yuna? They can't have sent him back to the original Zanarkand because that was part of their dream too...so where did Tidus wake up in that final sequence?

I prefer the second scenario, but I'm left with a nasty taste in my mouth that if I should ever play another FF game again that it will end in the same way: the 'It was all a dream' cop out.

So is FF X-2 just going to be another Tidus dream? Or will Tidus actually appear in it alongside Yuna?

One thing that really grated on my nerves was the fact that after defeating Sin, you couldn't continue to develop your characters and explore a bit more. You couldn't revisit old places from your travels and get the reactions from the inhabitants to your victory. In a sense you could do this after you used the airship to knock Sin to the ground, but after you've past that last save sphere, that's it, no turning back.

Yeah, I've reloaded the game and am now powering up to get the Tornado Overdrive for Auron and powering the rest of the characters around the Sphere Grid by fighting Don Tonberry in the arena, then I'm going to go back and see if I can take out Sin in one hit, but I could have done all this ages ago if I'd known that Sin was going to be the boss that ends the game completely. I could have had a lot of fun wasting Seymour with just one of my characters if I'd known that, so I may just start from scratch again up until the point where I get the airship.

Any other theories on the ending?
Tue 26/11/02 at 09:06
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Any other theories on the ending?

Fantastic. I love these sort of post. I got a few theorys on this one,
>
> Firstly, a blitzball player called Tidus falls asleep, has a dream,
> then wakes up. This, in my view, is a bit of a cop out in the same
> vein as 'Bobby Ewing wakes up in the shower' scene from Dallas.

I have to agree with ssxpro, this would be a cop-out on the part of Square, and in my experiance very unlike them. The thing that is more like them is to give us an ending that needs further dissuction.

> Secondly, and more complicated, is that Tidus WAS actually part of the
> dream of the Fayth, conjured up by them to end the dream for them,
> because they did actually exist and they were actually tired of
> dreaming. Taking this ending further, once the Fayths were defeated
> (including Sin, who was drawing his power from all those Fayths just
> before you got to Zanarkand Ruins) then why was the final scene added
> of Tidus waking up and swimming towards the viewer? Did the Fayths
> give him a second chance and conjure him up again to be with Yuna?
> They can't have sent him back to the original Zanarkand because that
> was part of their dream too...so where did Tidus wake up in that final
> sequence?

Well here is a theory. The spheres which can record memories in Spira, (like the Jecht sphere and presumable the ones for sale in Luca) are made of Water containing condensed pyreflies

from ffonline:

"Pyreflies response to people’s thoughts and materialize them. Hence it’s possible to record people’s thought and sounds. Sphere utilized this specialty. Sphere can record messages; sphere camera can record moving images; sphere monitor provide people information, etc… It has become an important part of life to Spira’s people. Sphere’s ingredient is water that contains highly condensed pyreflies, and it can be obtained in certain spots in Macalania Wood."

Im one theory I have Tuna has recorded her thought in one of these spheres, and that is the water in which we see tidus swimming at the end.

Expaning that theory, that thought are so linked to water, did you notice during the end FMV, Yuna is whistling out over the water (is it in kilka?). I presumed that see was whisteling out for Tidus then, especially because of the scene earlier where Tidus teaches Yuna how to whistle as a way of calling him. Yuna obviously believes that he is still around somewhere

The fayth mention that Jecht became real because he was touched by Sin. What If Tidus also became real when he was touched by Sin. The fayth wouldn't know what would happen to him if the stopped dreaming him. Its possible that he didn't dissapear. After all, he goes transparent at the end, but doesn't dissaper, which could easily mean that a part of him was real, and not lost when the dreaming stopped.
Tue 26/11/02 at 08:41
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Firstly, a blitzball player called Tidus falls asleep, has a dream,
> then wakes up

I don`t think this is the case, if it was, then we would have probably seen a linking part of the story where Tidus originally falls into the sea before falling asleep. The first we see of Tidus is him in Zanarkand, near large cities etc... If he had a dream, he would probably have just woken up near the blitzball arena again, and yes, as you say, that would have been a rubbish ending. Square aren`t like that though, I seriously doubt that was what they intended.

> why was the final scene added
> of Tidus waking up and swimming towards the viewer? Did the Fayths
> give him a second chance and conjure him up again to be with Yuna?

That's what I believe. He helped them by ridding Spira of Sin, and allowing them to end their dreaming. As a reward, they made him part of the real world. If they have the power to conjure up such a powerful dream with so many "real" people in it, and allow Tidus to be brought into the real real world, then its likely they can make him real once they have gone.

My opinion is that he wakes up underwater near Besaid beach again, though obviously it could be anywhere, and my hope is that FFX-2 will involve the characters meeting up with Tidus once again. If they didn`t, it would be a pretty weak sequel unless they really think of something special elsewhere.

> One thing that really grated on my nerves was the fact that after
> defeating Sin, you couldn't continue to develop your characters and
> explore a bit more. You couldn't revisit old places from your travels
> and get the reactions from the inhabitants to your victory.

You can do it after defeating Sin and Seymour by simply walking out to the airship again. Its only Braska's Final Aeon that is beyond the point of no return. If you leave after defeating Sin, you can go and talk to all the people, and they are happy, congratulating you on your defeat of Sin. Obviously you still have more work to do with Yu Yevon, but they don`t know that.

I see what you mean about the very last boss though, it is a one way trip once you`ve passed the save point before you meet Jecht. Then again, this has always been the way. Down the crater to meet Sephiroth, through time to face Ultimecia etc...

> powering the rest of the characters around the
> Sphere Grid by fighting Don Tonberry in the arena,

He is a good starting character as he gives out a fair bit of AP, but the species conquest monsters are the way to go. They give out all the attribute spheres (with the exception of luck and fortune which have to be fought for in the original monster arena) so you can build up your characters even faster. Start adding a load of Strength + 4 nodes around the place and you`re stats will sky rocket. The Juggernaut in the Species Conquest is the one to fight for strength. Once you`ve done him a few times, you can move onto the others to get things like agility up as well.

> Any other theories on the ending?

Not really, I agree with your second version. He did the fayth a fayvour :D and they rewarded him by making him real. He wakes up underwater, saving Square from having to perform a reunion sequence which may have seemed cheesy or wrong. This way there is a little mystery, but a great sense of success because Tidus may actually survive.
Mon 25/11/02 at 23:59
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I prefer not to analyze the ending. Just like FF8, it's a fantastic piece of art!
Mon 25/11/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
OK....so you've read this far....that means one of three things.

1) You've got the game and haven't finished it yet, in which case I strongly advise you to stop reading now, because you really should see the ending for yourself
2) You've completed FFX, in which case read on and discuss
3) It's a thread by FM, therefore worth reading. I can accept that but still, if you fall under number one above, stop reading NOW.

I know there was a thread on this before but I think it's archived now.

So...the way I see it the ending could be one of two things:

Firstly, a blitzball player called Tidus falls asleep, has a dream, then wakes up. This, in my view, is a bit of a cop out in the same vein as 'Bobby Ewing wakes up in the shower' scene from Dallas.

Secondly, and more complicated, is that Tidus WAS actually part of the dream of the Fayth, conjured up by them to end the dream for them, because they did actually exist and they were actually tired of dreaming. Taking this ending further, once the Fayths were defeated (including Sin, who was drawing his power from all those Fayths just before you got to Zanarkand Ruins) then why was the final scene added of Tidus waking up and swimming towards the viewer? Did the Fayths give him a second chance and conjure him up again to be with Yuna? They can't have sent him back to the original Zanarkand because that was part of their dream too...so where did Tidus wake up in that final sequence?

I prefer the second scenario, but I'm left with a nasty taste in my mouth that if I should ever play another FF game again that it will end in the same way: the 'It was all a dream' cop out.

So is FF X-2 just going to be another Tidus dream? Or will Tidus actually appear in it alongside Yuna?

One thing that really grated on my nerves was the fact that after defeating Sin, you couldn't continue to develop your characters and explore a bit more. You couldn't revisit old places from your travels and get the reactions from the inhabitants to your victory. In a sense you could do this after you used the airship to knock Sin to the ground, but after you've past that last save sphere, that's it, no turning back.

Yeah, I've reloaded the game and am now powering up to get the Tornado Overdrive for Auron and powering the rest of the characters around the Sphere Grid by fighting Don Tonberry in the arena, then I'm going to go back and see if I can take out Sin in one hit, but I could have done all this ages ago if I'd known that Sin was going to be the boss that ends the game completely. I could have had a lot of fun wasting Seymour with just one of my characters if I'd known that, so I may just start from scratch again up until the point where I get the airship.

Any other theories on the ending?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.