GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"6th form"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 16:31
Regular
Are any of you in the 6th form and if so do you take any of the following subjects:

English Language
Media
Computing
History
English Literature

If you take any of those subjects could you please let me know if they are good/bad please as my school is pressuring us to choose already.

Cheers

-kyz-
Tue 26/11/02 at 21:28
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Im in the upper sixth, and I'm taking Media Studies, Computing, Psychology and Biology.

Totally bored by biology though. And theres far too much computing coursework. Other than that its OK.

Still have no idea what I want to do at university though, Media or film related probably.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
English - Good - quite a bit harder than GCSE, espeicaly in the poetry, but still an excellent sunject.

Media - At my school, we have some strict teachers, but by far and away the most interesting subjuct I've ever looked at - its very revealing.

History - My fav. A bit limited in its range, but very in depth.

They're all good.

6th form is better than lower school, but still not that great.

At my school anyway.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:04
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I would idealy like ot be a journalist, English language and media are a MUST if I want to proceed in the course. I excell naturally at history and enjoy it so it should be an easy and fun extra A at A level. I was stuck between choosing literature and computing but opted for computing as I prefer it over studying shakespeare.

Still, I can change my mind whenever I want.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:18
Regular
"That's right!"
I wanted to do English language, I got a B in it at GCSE (excellent considering I was never in lessons - story of my life) but they said "Nope, we're not doing language, only literature"

Fine, I thought. I got a C in it at GCSE (again, very good when you consider I was missing one or two English lessons a week for almost a full year) but it's extremely boring, extremely tedius and actually quite hard. Not hard as in it's hard work, more of the fact that the books you study are terrible, making things harder than they need to be.

Couple to that the fact that I didn't see eye to eye with my teacher (again, the story of my life) and you get a crappy subject. You might have more luck with it, but I asked to be let out after a couple of months. I was refused, so I just stopped going in and they threw me out, leaving me with even more days off from 6th form. Woo.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:11
Regular
"Selected"
sorry, that was supposed to be "i do.." and not "i'd do" i'm not telling you to choose.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:11
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
I think you can do an A Level that is lang/lit at the same time. Don't think it counts for two though. I didn't know this and chose just language.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:09
Regular
"Selected"
i'd do english lang and computing, computering is ok - a good general purpose subject that i imagine employers will like googling at when you put it on your CV. As for english language...well it's ok but i wish i'd have choosen literature because it seems the more...'looked for' course when it comes to english, but what are you gonna do?

if you can, do eng lang and lit together.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I did Computing at A-level, it was largely very good, although they don't teach anything about Object Orientation, which is a must if you want to become a programmer.
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:46
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
My school want to know what we are intending on doing in the 6th form. Its not a final decision yet and they said we can alter our subjects at any time, but they love pressuring us.

Sickos
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:40
Regular
"That's right!"
Pressuring to choose already? Hmm... either you've been in 6th form for three months and haven't started any work yet, or you're in year 11 and they're asking you to make an impossible decision. Either way is bad

You can't choose your A levels without knowing your GCSE results, it would be stupid to do otherwise. For one thing you might not be able to do certain subjects, as you can fail them at GCSE (like English, but English at A levels sucks anyway, trust me) but choosing your A levels is a life altering decision. Asking you now is making you walk in blind-folded.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.