GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Games are they a Rip off........."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 17:02
Regular
Hi

Do you think PS2 games are a rip-off at £40-£45. The majority of games only seem take a 10-15 hours to complete and after that you don’t really don’t want to go back and find every last thing to get 100% . For instance I bought MGP 2 last week which I completed 80% in one weekend I mean I’m not some sort of gaming God or anything but it just takes the Pi……. Ok you do get games like GT3, SSX T & Pro Evolution etc which you will go back to time and time again but these games are few and far between. Even the new MGS 2 is only suppose to take about 10 hours to complete and that's ment to be the best game ever. What are your thoughts on this subject.

Thanks
Thu 07/03/02 at 17:00
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
I'd gladly pay 150 quid for Pro Evolution.....it's worth every penny cos it has infinite replay value. When do you get rid of PE?.....when PE2 comes out!!!
With games like DMC/GTA3/SH2 just imagine how much it would cost for 15 hours of gaming at the arcade. I tend to buy sport/beat-em-up games for their multiplayer capabilities which mean that they always continue to have life past their 15 hours.
The real stinky part about the price of games is that we have to pay shedloads more in the UK than anyone else....just add that to the list of CD,DVD,Cars,Booze,Food.....oh....pretty much everything!!
Thu 07/03/02 at 14:26
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Lets all face facts, we have always been overpaying for games.

How can any company justify even £30 quid for a game. SR are good, and are the cheapest place I know but it will take a revolution in the industry to lower prices.

How can sony justify even £35 quid for a new game, when DVD videos cost between £15 and £20. Ok, so the amount of people buying DVD's is higher, but these films are costing millions of dollars to make - look at pearl harbour, the most expensive movie of all time.

Sony are better than other companies though, platinium titles are fairly priced (but you do have to wait for them), I doubt Bill Gates will have such a range for his X-box, Nintendo has a budget range for its N64, but the good games are still £30!!!!!!!

I think that new games should be priced at around £25 - £30 pounds, like PC games are.

However in defence of the companies, sony does take a lot of money from games, as the PS2 is a loss leader. Try buying a PC with the same sort of spec and ability to play games for 199.99!!!

However there is No excuse for us to pay the prices we do when games are so much cheaper in different regions.
Thu 07/03/02 at 13:02
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
They are that much if you pay full whack, but SR prices are less than that, and then GC's are 45/50, and X-Box the same. Add the platinum range, and it's not so bad at all.
Wed 06/03/02 at 23:11
I posted this elsewhere before, but I just want to point out again that I paid £59.99 for Streetfighter 2 on the Megadrive about 8 years ago. At the time most Megadrive games were £39.99 RRP like most of today's PS2 games. 0% inflation over an eight year period is good, not even taking into account the increase in quality of the games you get for your money.
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Games are not "well worth it". Why is it that games in America and Japan cost so much less than games here- simply because the markup made by retailers in this country is huge- they are the ones who get the most profits! Developers get next to nothing!

Sonic
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:34
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
PS2 Games are only a rip off if you buy them for 40-45.

If you look around you can buy just about any game for round about 30-35. When you consider what goes into developing the best games then they are well worth it.

With the release of the Platinum rnage you can you buy some truly superb games for between 15-20 quid. total bargain.
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I have yet to have a PS2 game that I have not completed and then traded withing a week- and that includes GTA3, J&D, 007 and quite a lot others....

Worth scamming the EB "10 day return for any reason" policy ;)
Wed 06/03/02 at 20:07
Regular
The only ps2 games in my colection i feel entirly pleased with are THPS3, GTA3 and Half-life. Devil may cry and baulders gate are good but they were finished with far too early. At least my mums still playin DMC.
Wed 06/03/02 at 20:03
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I agree there. I think that a person should do some research before running down to the shops and wasting their cash on an Army Men game. I always think ahead, and conisder if I will still be playing the game in a few months time. This is why 1)All games I own are good and 2)They last for ages. So dont be lazy and just read some mags to see if a game is worth your £40.

And dont whine, since most of us are saving at least £5 on games if we buy them from SR
Wed 06/03/02 at 17:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If you think games are that expensive, then why not wait until they are on budget. You should also try renting games before you buy them to see if it'll be worth full price.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.