GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The cost of Memory Cards"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 11:26
Regular
Can anyone tell me why 8 megs of ram built in to a memory card costs £30???? You compare this to the price of memory on the pc, say £25 for 64 megs as quoted by special reserve and ask yourself why does it cost so much to fit a bit of ram in a plastic casing??? I've noticed that this is going to be the same for the xbox.
Thu 07/03/02 at 22:35
Regular
the price of sony ps2 memory cards is indefensible.

non volatile ram cards for cameras such as compact flash/smartmedia cards and Sonys' own memorystick are way cheaper per meg

ps2 memory card (8MB - £25) £3 per MB (SR price)
$ony memorystick (64MB - £42) 65p per MB
smartmedia camera memory generic(128MB - £45) 35p per MB
prices are from scan computers.

you can say its 'different RAM' - but why is it so much more expensive than other nvRAM including Sonys own ?
It has 'magicgate' technology - so what, my cameras' memory card works fine without it.

Unless its handmade by topless models in Tahiti, its a rip off.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:08
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I agree with snuggles.

It isn't that expensive when you consider what you are getting.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:05
Regular
A hard-drive will also mean u can download things of the internet (if u have the modem) i.e new missions, cars, weather, advertisments, radio stations etc for GTA3.
Thu 07/03/02 at 20:08
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I used to think the same, but now I've changed my mind. I've had my PS2 for a year now, and still use my first memory card, with loads of space left. I also have about 15 games, each with saves. When the original PSone mem cards came out, they were £20 - these are much bigger, for just a fiver more. Bargain.
Thu 07/03/02 at 16:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Having a HD means game developers will be able to cram in more stuff for games i.e. give you more cars for GTA3 or cut down fogging on Dynasty Warriors. It basically gives the PS2 more storage space to do these things.
Thu 07/03/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
choose one of these:

a) the ram is a version of the high density storage Sony call Memory stick, which is very good but very pricy.

b) the plastic case costs £17 to make

c) Sony are scheming geets
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:58
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
So whats with the HD? Whats it gonna be used for? I notice the XBox already comes with one.
Thu 07/03/02 at 10:53
Regular
"360: swfcman"
True, it may be a little more expensive but the best thing to do is if you can get the official card or other stuff you may want, is to get the official products always. Every so often you read a post here complaining that there card or pad does not work properly and it turns out that it was a 3rd party product, always risky when you get that kind of stuff.
Thu 07/03/02 at 10:42
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
DeanPS2 wrote:
> Maybe other companies will start making cheaper memory cards for PS2 than the offical Sony one, like they do for the PS1. The offical Sony PS1 1mb card costs £10 but cards not made by Sony cost less than half as much.

I think there is a company doing this already, you can get a 16mb memory card for £18 from an other site which I've just looked at.

Myself, personally wouldn't use this as I prefer to buy official products and seeing as my card is only half full haven't a need to get another one.
Thu 07/03/02 at 10:39
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Legendary Link wrote:
> U can expect the PS2 hardrive will be pricy compared to PC aswell.

I said this ages ago, 40gb Maxtor HD for £65 and the official Sony product will be £100 approx.....so why the extra 35 quid?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.