GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory cards... 3rd party Vs official"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/11/02 at 03:05
Regular
After recently having a bad experience with a 3rd party memory card i decided to find out if i was just unlucky or whether official does mean best.

This is applicable to all consoles.

1. Which memory card do you own, official or 3rd party?

2. If your memory card is 3rd party what brand is it?

3. How long have you owned/used the memory card for?

4. Have you ever experienced any data loss/corruption or failed saves? (if yes plz describe)

5. If you own an Officially branded memory card would you consider buying a 3rd party brand in future if your existing card ran low on space?

Thankyou to those that take part, it will be interesting to see what results arise from this and maybe this information could be of some use to anyone contemplating buying another memory card.

Rabid.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:02
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
As silly as that sounds it would be a fantastic marketing ploy :)

A corrupt 3rd party memory card is what made me (and prolly thousands others too) go and buy an official product so altho it sounds unlikely that Nintendo or Sony are programming their consoles to screw up 3rd party cards at the same i wouldnt be entirely shocked if they admitted it :O
Sun 01/12/02 at 12:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If the GameCube is anything like the Playstation 2, then it asks the memory card what brand it is. I don't know what the Playstation 2 actually does if it finds out a third-party memory card has been put in it, but I don't like the idea that it can treat them differently. Certainly it wouldn't be unheard of for a console to say, corrupt the contents of the memory chip every so often if it finds it's not made by the console manufacturers.
Sun 01/12/02 at 00:11
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
As expected it appears that Official memory cards seem alot more reliable than 3rd party ones, almost all 3rd part cards mentioned have at some point 'messed up' whilst only 1 official card has done the same (im a little bit surprised that 1 actually did tho)

So going by these brief and probably not very conclusive results i would have to join the masses here and recommend that anyone wishing to purchase a new memory card should buy an Official product, yes theyre a little more expensive but you get what you pay for and believe me its no fun if you lose all your saved games because you chose to save a little bit of money.

If you buy 1 memory card for your GC then buy the Official 251 card, quite simply its worth the little extra cost.
Sat 30/11/02 at 18:01
Regular
"Digging!"
torticollis wrote:
> taka-Q wrote:
>
> I got a 64mb 3rd party card with presaved
> data on it.
>
> 64 mb? are you sure?

Yeah. Its over 900 blocks, but it loses data so often I don't use it.
Sat 30/11/02 at 00:08
Regular
rabid wrote:
> 1. Which memory card do you own, official or 3rd party?

Official.

> 2. If your memory card is 3rd party what brand is it?

-

> 3. How long have you owned/used the memory card for?

Since I owned my GameCube.

> 4. Have you ever experienced any data loss/corruption or failed saves?
> (if yes plz describe)

Nope, none at all.

> 5. If you own an Officially branded memory card would you consider
> buying a 3rd party brand in future if your existing card ran low on
> space?

Nope, I have a Memory Card 251, and a Memory Card 59 - all I'll ever need.
Fri 29/11/02 at 11:01
I used to buy unofficial memory cards for my N64, and they kept corrupting the data. So now i only buy official. I got an official 4mb one with my GC on May 3rd, and my mum went xmas shopping for me yesterday, she went into Game to buy an official 251 card, the assistant questioned as to why she wanted official and tried to persuade her to buy an unofficial card, however she bought the official one, much to the sales assistants dis-pleasure. Hehe, now to wait for christmas...
Thu 28/11/02 at 23:35
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
I have got an official card and the one in the fire pack pic dont look anything like mine.
Thu 28/11/02 at 19:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Kastro wrote:
> Does anyone know if the memory card that comes with the Gamcube fire
> pack from SR is official?

Look at the picture of the pack on the site, it is a crappy unofficial one.
Thu 28/11/02 at 17:41
Regular
"aliens exist"
last nite me official memory card f**ked up, i tried loading ts2 data and it said it was corrupted and had to be deleted, this was on proper nintendo card to it, so any card can be unreliable not just 3rd party ones
Thu 28/11/02 at 17:12
i would always go offical, 3rd party i find unrealiable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.