GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OPSM2- December"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/11/02 at 16:37
Regular
T'is a pretty good mag with some good demo's, finally got to play The Getaway, here's the round up.

Demos
The Getaway (First two levels)
Battle Engine Equila
V-Rally 3
MX Superfly
treasure Planet

Demo Previews
Micro Machines
Big Mutha Truckers
Defender
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

Reviews

The Getaway 9/10 (So it didn't get the full marks then)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 9/10
James bond 007: Nightfire 7/10
Auto Modellista 7/10
Virtua Tennis 2 8/10
Reign of Fire 7/10
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter 7/10
LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring 4/10
Tiger Woods 2003 8/10
Tom Clany's Ghost Recon 7/10
Castleween 4/10
Run Like Hell 5/10
Robotech: Battlecry 4/10
Alpine Racer 3/10
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon 7/10
Sega Soccer Slam 2/10
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly 6/10
Myst 3: Exile 3/10
Butt-Ugly Martians: Zoom Or Doom 3/10
Pryzm chapter 1: the Dark Unicorn 2/10

Quite a lot of reviews. The mag itself feels alot bigger aswell, pretty good mag overall
Thu 28/11/02 at 16:37
Regular
"es argh"
T'is a pretty good mag with some good demo's, finally got to play The Getaway, here's the round up.

Demos
The Getaway (First two levels)
Battle Engine Equila
V-Rally 3
MX Superfly
treasure Planet

Demo Previews
Micro Machines
Big Mutha Truckers
Defender
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

Reviews

The Getaway 9/10 (So it didn't get the full marks then)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 9/10
James bond 007: Nightfire 7/10
Auto Modellista 7/10
Virtua Tennis 2 8/10
Reign of Fire 7/10
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter 7/10
LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring 4/10
Tiger Woods 2003 8/10
Tom Clany's Ghost Recon 7/10
Castleween 4/10
Run Like Hell 5/10
Robotech: Battlecry 4/10
Alpine Racer 3/10
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon 7/10
Sega Soccer Slam 2/10
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly 6/10
Myst 3: Exile 3/10
Butt-Ugly Martians: Zoom Or Doom 3/10
Pryzm chapter 1: the Dark Unicorn 2/10

Quite a lot of reviews. The mag itself feels alot bigger aswell, pretty good mag overall
Thu 28/11/02 at 16:51
Regular
"I dont like tagline"
I think the Getaway is not really much like GTA VC at all. The way you have shoo-outs is alot better. You can go into a stealth mode were you lean up against a wall in look around it slightly then you suddendly jump out and shoot the nemy its a great combat system. And also the way you heal from injuries is unique you leran up againt a wall so he can rest until the blood stains go, so there are no healthpacks. The driving mission was pretty cool that was a bit like GTA VC but the fighting mission was much better i found the demo very easy once i found out about healing against a wall thing though.
Thu 28/11/02 at 18:22
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I got my copy today. Slammed the Getaway in, chased the red car, crashed a few times along the way. At first I thought it was a nice little touch when your car starts to constantly veer after an accident, but then I realised it happens almost every single time. Now it just annoys me.

I wasn't really impressed by the whole out-of-the-car section of the game either, it's pretty poor and unoriginal in my opinion. In fact the whole game is unoriginal - maybe the concept and storyline are fairly new to the games world (not to films though), but the actual gameplay elements mostly feel "borrowed" from other games. The driving bit is still fairly enjoyable though.
Sat 30/11/02 at 11:18
Regular
Gonna get the mag this afternoon. Is the first level on The Getaway where that fat bloke captures his son?
Sat 30/11/02 at 23:51
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Honestly, The Getaway is really one of the most rubbish games I have played. It just aint good-yeah the graphics are nice and London looks impressive but apart from that its nothing-dont know how on earth it got 9/10 in OPS2. I mean, after working on it for like 3 years, you would expect them to make it a bit more groundbreaking
Sun 01/12/02 at 01:04
And your basing this purely on the demo of the game? By the time it comes out many things may have been fixed in the demo. Its a common fact that the demos do not represent a finished version of the game, theres plenty of time for any small niggles to be fixed.

Perhaps you were expecting too much from the game, from what i can see alot of effort has been put into it, perhaps the '3 years3 thing has warped many minds into thinking this was going to be ground braking. Many of us know its not going to be that, but its still going to be very good.
Sun 01/12/02 at 11:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Verbatim wrote:
> And your basing this purely on the demo of the game? By the time it
> comes out many things may have been fixed in the demo. Its a common
> fact that the demos do not represent a finished version of the game,
> theres plenty of time for any small niggles to be fixed.

Well seeing as it comes out in 10 days time, and thy've already said that it's finished, there really isn't a lot of time left. However, the problems have already been fixed so it's alright.

Back on the magazine front, there's an ad in the back containing a voucher for Gamestation. You can get any one of these games for £29.99 - Tony Hawk's 4, Burnout 2, GTA: Vice City, Red Faction 2 or Pro Evo 2.
Sun 01/12/02 at 11:34
Blank wrote:

>
> Well seeing as it comes out in 10 days time, and thy've already said
> that it's finished, there really isn't a lot of time left. However,
> the problems have already been fixed so it's alright.

Point was though, how do we know the demo that was available isnt an age old?

But it matters little i suppose now, if the problems are fixed.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:19
Regular
"  "
Well the TIF games (Made by the same people) always had worse demo's than the final game (Gameplay and graphics wise). Thats mainly because the demo's are made months before the magazine is even released.
Sun 01/12/02 at 15:19
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Triple_H wrote:
> Honestly, The Getaway is really one of the most rubbish games I have
> played. It just aint good-yeah the graphics are nice and London looks
> impressive but apart from that its nothing-dont know how on earth it
> got 9/10 in OPS2. I mean, after working on it for like 3 years, you
> would expect them to make it a bit more groundbreaking.

I think that too, it is really slow, and the targeting system is poor, its almost impossible to hit anything. The sound is pathetic. Im sorry but this game stinks.

I would have given it 6/10 at the very most.

The other game on the demo 'Battle Engine, Aquilla' is a hell of a lot more fun and I had never heard of it before I got the demo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.