GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""click to activate and use this control" - annoying message!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/10/07 at 14:45
"Are you sure?"
"click to activate and use this control"

Here's a simple tip to remove this annoying message often seen when Macromedia Flash content is used in a web page - I've even seen it here on Freeola ;¬)

This problem only affects Internet Explorer.
Not only do your visitors see this message, but worse they have to "click twice" to follow any hypertext links!

A simple get-a-round to stop the message and the need for 'two clicks' is to add a small JavaScript after the </object> tag.

Add this:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="flashfix.js"></script>

Then create a file named 'flashfix.js' containing the following:

objects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");
for (var i = 0; i < objects.length; i++)
{
objects[ i].outerHTML = objects[ i].outerHTML;
}

To demonstrate the problem and see the fix working visit: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/flash
Mon 15/10/07 at 19:25
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Just to clarify. This is not a bug caused by the developer of the web page. This is caused by a browser update Microsoft introduced after they lost a patent battle to do with the way Internet Explorer displays OBJECT and EMBED tags in web pages.
It affects Flash, Java, Realplayer Acrobat content in pages viewed in IE.
AS well as using the fix supplied here you can also use the more comprehensive flash detection script supplied by Adobe here.
Mon 15/10/07 at 16:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Looks like you even found an old AppleMac to try and see an
> error ;¬)

Are you suggesting I own a Mac? No need for insults you know. :(

It was windows Safari I tried.
Mon 15/10/07 at 16:23
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the feedback Garin.

Looks like you even found an old AppleMac to try and see an error ;¬)
Mon 15/10/07 at 15:55
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It doesnt create problems as such. In fact looking at your page in Firefox not even that reports it. I really thought it did in the past though (not that I'd trust my memory).
outerHTML is an IE invention (Opera supports it as well), its not available in other browsers. So technically such code should be wrapped in

if (document.body.outerHTML) {
}

But if Firefox isnt reporting any error, doesnt really matter. So basically, ignore me. :)
Mon 15/10/07 at 15:19
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Garin,
Firefox and IE don't seem to have a problem with it.

What browser do you think would have a problem?
Not that I use any other than IE and FF...
Mon 15/10/07 at 15:01
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> objects =
> document.getElementsByTagName("object");
> for (var i = 0; i < objects.length; i++)
> {
> objects[ i].outerHTML = objects[ i].outerHTML;
> }

This should really be wrapped in a check to see if outerHTML is valid, otherwise it creates errors on the page for those browsers that dont support it.
Mon 15/10/07 at 14:45
"Are you sure?"
"click to activate and use this control"

Here's a simple tip to remove this annoying message often seen when Macromedia Flash content is used in a web page - I've even seen it here on Freeola ;¬)

This problem only affects Internet Explorer.
Not only do your visitors see this message, but worse they have to "click twice" to follow any hypertext links!

A simple get-a-round to stop the message and the need for 'two clicks' is to add a small JavaScript after the </object> tag.

Add this:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="flashfix.js"></script>

Then create a file named 'flashfix.js' containing the following:

objects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");
for (var i = 0; i < objects.length; i++)
{
objects[ i].outerHTML = objects[ i].outerHTML;
}

To demonstrate the problem and see the fix working visit: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/flash

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.