GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has 2007 been a good year for games?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/10/07 at 13:11
"possibly impossible"
Ok, I know, we're not done yet, but with all the big names announced for the end of the year now and everyone having a good idea about what the next few month involve, we can get an idea of what 2007 has been like for games.

CONSOLES
It started well for Microsoft. Still raking in money, despite the Wii launch, they were out in front by a long way. Even when the PS3 finally came along, the 360 looked as strong as ever, thanks to an amazing year for games. Halo 3 was obviously the main highlight for many, which more than doubled sales of the console at launch.

Nintendo just saw the Wii userbase grow and grow. I don't think they realised just how popular it was going to be, and it now looks like it'll be the number 1 console for Christmas, even after all the nay-sayers made fun of the low-res graphics and 'gimmicky' controls.

Sony, however, are keeping a brave face on things. Their console has sold fairly well on it's own, but once you put it up against the figures from the other 2 then it looks pretty bad. Some PR mess-ups and the price of the console itself haven't really helped, but it's still the lack of games which let the PS3 down.

GAMES
Well, who can mention 2007 without talking about Halo 3? On the news, in the papers and all over the media, this game was always going to be a money spinner for Microsoft, even if the game turned out to be worse than expected. In my eyes it does a pretty good job of improving on the last 2 games, though. Elsewhere on the 360, we've seen Forza 2's paint jobs, PGR4's bikes, Gears of War almost stealing Halo's thunder and yet another FIFA Football game, this time actually making some decent improvements. But we’ve also had games such as Viva Piñata, Crackdown, Need for Speed Carbon and the fantastic GRAW 2.

Sony’s problem seems to be convincing third parties to make games (then getting them to make decent games). We should have a new Gran Turismo by the end of the year, but for now we have Motorstorm and Fall of Man as the stand out titles, with online-only Warhawk and the Graphically excellent but slighty shallow Heavenly Sword following up behind. Hopefully Sony will address the issues with more original releases in 2008.

Nintendo, by their very nature, tend to have plenty of exclusives. Metroid Prime 3 has all the makings of a classic, as does Mario Galaxy, but from their released games, Mario Strikers Charged, Elidees, Super Paper Mario and Excite Truck (arriving far later over here than in the US and Japan) all make their mark, not forgetting a re-hash of the best Resident Evil game to date which made it even better.

So has it been a good year? Yes, unless you only own a PS3, in which case you’ll still have had fun, but you might be looking a little green-eyed at the competition.
Mon 15/10/07 at 13:22
Regular
"Monochromatic"
In my opinion, no it hasnt. I've been out of the major gaming loop for about 2 years now but even with all the next-gen consoles now out, i still dont feel any real pull to get involved again as there are no games that interest me. The last game that did was Shadow of the Collossus. The only thing that has caught my eye this year is Home as it looks like offering something slightly different.
Mon 15/10/07 at 13:11
"possibly impossible"
Ok, I know, we're not done yet, but with all the big names announced for the end of the year now and everyone having a good idea about what the next few month involve, we can get an idea of what 2007 has been like for games.

CONSOLES
It started well for Microsoft. Still raking in money, despite the Wii launch, they were out in front by a long way. Even when the PS3 finally came along, the 360 looked as strong as ever, thanks to an amazing year for games. Halo 3 was obviously the main highlight for many, which more than doubled sales of the console at launch.

Nintendo just saw the Wii userbase grow and grow. I don't think they realised just how popular it was going to be, and it now looks like it'll be the number 1 console for Christmas, even after all the nay-sayers made fun of the low-res graphics and 'gimmicky' controls.

Sony, however, are keeping a brave face on things. Their console has sold fairly well on it's own, but once you put it up against the figures from the other 2 then it looks pretty bad. Some PR mess-ups and the price of the console itself haven't really helped, but it's still the lack of games which let the PS3 down.

GAMES
Well, who can mention 2007 without talking about Halo 3? On the news, in the papers and all over the media, this game was always going to be a money spinner for Microsoft, even if the game turned out to be worse than expected. In my eyes it does a pretty good job of improving on the last 2 games, though. Elsewhere on the 360, we've seen Forza 2's paint jobs, PGR4's bikes, Gears of War almost stealing Halo's thunder and yet another FIFA Football game, this time actually making some decent improvements. But we’ve also had games such as Viva Piñata, Crackdown, Need for Speed Carbon and the fantastic GRAW 2.

Sony’s problem seems to be convincing third parties to make games (then getting them to make decent games). We should have a new Gran Turismo by the end of the year, but for now we have Motorstorm and Fall of Man as the stand out titles, with online-only Warhawk and the Graphically excellent but slighty shallow Heavenly Sword following up behind. Hopefully Sony will address the issues with more original releases in 2008.

Nintendo, by their very nature, tend to have plenty of exclusives. Metroid Prime 3 has all the makings of a classic, as does Mario Galaxy, but from their released games, Mario Strikers Charged, Elidees, Super Paper Mario and Excite Truck (arriving far later over here than in the US and Japan) all make their mark, not forgetting a re-hash of the best Resident Evil game to date which made it even better.

So has it been a good year? Yes, unless you only own a PS3, in which case you’ll still have had fun, but you might be looking a little green-eyed at the competition.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.