GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box, why does everyone dislike it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/11/02 at 00:08
Regular
X-Box, why does everyone dislike it? Most people anyway.

Before it was even released, it had nicknames worse than the fat kid at school. It was already being called “Fat-Box” “Doorstop” and I hear sniggers when the joke is popped,

“I’d buy an X-Box, but I can’t afford the room extension”

Har har har. So funny.

Ok, so it’s a big machine, but there’s lots of goodies inside it, like the wonderful 733 Mhz Intel Processor. Intel are proven to make good CPU’s. Then you have the 300Mhz X-Chip. Which controls all the graphic malarky. This chip was made in conjunction with nVidia who make solid graphics cards.

The X-Box also supports DVD, ok you have to spend £30 on a remote but its really worth it. It’s a superb DVD. Plays the DVD’s better than my separate DVD player that I have in my lounge.

First for a console, the X-Box has a hard drive, 8 gig in fact. Its so clever that you can transfer your music onto it, then listen to it during the game. Clever? I think so!

People may class it as a smaller PC. Nah, your wrong mate. X-Box will play games. Yet it has added functions. Like a PC. But you won’t find anybody doing their homework in Word on it will you now? Making databases in Excel? No no sir. A games console it is.

Anyway, why would you want to do your homework anyway? When you have such good games as Project Gotham Racing? Halo? Unreal Championship? Timesplitters 2 and now that X-Box has RARE (!!) working for them as well, you’d be a fool to diss it.

The controller is another joke object.

“Well, I have an X-Box with my room extension, but I now need bigger hands for the silly controller!”

Obviously. It’s a bit on the large side. But hey, it’s the most comfortable pad I’ve used for ages.

All the great pc games will be lifted off onto a super-sexy X-Box disc. Now with prices dropping worse than Italian football players you’d be a total ape if you didn’t have one of these machines sitting in your house, doing your laundry for you, making your coffee and tea. Its that good.

Some may think it’s a waste of time with X-Box2 coming up, but you can be sure as the screen that your looking at that the X-Box2 will be able to play X-Box games. Its almost written in stone, so you may as well start early and build up your collection of amazing X-Box games before they all sell out!

The X-Box also supports 5.1 sound. So get yourself a 5.1 speaker system, get out the drill that you got given last Christmas and drill the satellite speakers into the corners, put the mahoosive Sub in front of you, and let the other speaker roam around your room like it just doesn’t care.

Then carefully place the game into your X-Box, trying not to get blinded by the gold lights coming from it (Its made out of Gold. Duh.) and enjoy the amazing sound experience.

Actually. Rather not. Get a GameCube instead because X-Box sucks.

X-Box is pants. Hahaha :o)

GasMask

;o)
Tue 03/12/02 at 10:45
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>
> with new consoles out and better grpahics and gameplay it cant win
>
> Gameplay has nothing to do with the console. There are PSone games
> that play better than some PS2/Gamecube/Xbox titles.
>
> As for "can't win" - most will agree that it already has.

what?
gameplay has everything to do with it!!
if the games are poor then why buy the console?
and, on the PS2 point, everyone who is going to have a PS2 has one, and those who are going to buy a new one will either get Xbox or Cube, its a fact.

looking in for sale ads, ags and on the net, the amount of PS2s being sold or "wanting swap for cube/xbox" is so high!

i like the PS2, mainly cos if GTA games and a few others, but for me it is dying a slow death.

Ok, they have won the battle so far, but think how long it has been out compared to cube and xbox!
of course its going to win, its been out for years now, and has had so much time as the only next gen console on the market to win all the sales!

dont be so naive, look at the whole picture not just the small part of it.
Tue 03/12/02 at 08:39
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> As for "can't win" - most will agree that it already has.

Most definitely. All that is left is for Nintendo and Microsoft to try for second place. And I think we know who'll win that little contest unless Nintendo gets some price cuts pretty damn quickly.

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 03/12/02 at 00:48
"High polygon count"
Alcofrolic wrote:
> but i feel PS2 is dying out, ok, the sales figures are still high

Can't be dying out if new sales are still high!

> but to be honest anyone who wanted or wants a PS2 will or already has
> had it for a while now.

Your previous sentence contradicts that1

> with new consoles out and better grpahics and gameplay it cant win

Gameplay has nothing to do with the console. There are PSone games that play better than some PS2/Gamecube/Xbox titles.

As for "can't win" - most will agree that it already has.
Tue 03/12/02 at 00:24
Regular
Cartel Thug wrote:
> I dont dislike the X-Box, it's just that, well, something tells me
> that its not gonna last. I had the same feeling about the Dreamcast,
> although, admitidly, I did buy a Dreamcast, just for the Shenmue games
> (Ive yet to see a game that comes close to being so good)IMO.

and just how did you come to that conclusion?!?!
Xbox will last, and it will sell increasingly better and better over the coming months!
with Xbox live and loads of top games due for release, theres no way it can fail!

Gamecube has some brilliant games out now too, Resi 0, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing..... etc etc

Ps2, on the other hand has some good titles on the list, Devil May Cry 2, the new Tomb Raider game, and Getwaway etc, but i feel PS2 is dying out, ok, the sales figures are still high but to be honest anyone who wanted or wants a PS2 will or already has had it for a while now.
with new consoles out and better grpahics and gameplay it cant win

my opinion originally was that Gamecube games seem to have more lastability, but since i got splinter cell i havent even touched metroid prime or any other cube game!

its the way it goes and it wont change in the coming years.

only game on cube im looking forward to now is Zelda, but i have to wait til March 2003 for it to be out in the US on import.
Could get the JAP version but i dont fancy having to guess or try to translate the text with what little japanese i know
Tue 03/12/02 at 00:19
Regular
why is everyone so narrow minded?

ok, you like the gamecube or the Xbox, so what?

i have Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube (plus Dreamcast and GBA etc) only cos i like games across them all!

it shouldnt matter which is best!
it should be more like which game is best, or at least give reasons why you prefer the console, and i dont mean, "cos it is purple" or "cos it has better graphics", they arent reasons, they are petty points and its sad.

i am getting fed up of all the "my console is better than yours" arguments, i have heard them for about 15 years now!

nothing ever changes!
Mon 02/12/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I dont dislike the X-Box, it's just that, well, something tells me that its not gonna last. I had the same feeling about the Dreamcast, although, admitidly, I did buy a Dreamcast, just for the Shenmue games (Ive yet to see a game that comes close to being so good)IMO.
Mon 02/12/02 at 18:23
?
Sat 30/11/02 at 01:33
"+ suspicious minds"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Boss_Pac_Man2 wrote:
>
> "So how have the GC sales Doubled?"
>
> Errr... I state the FACT that most Japanese game shops don't sell GCs.
> What on Earth is that reply meant to mean? Sales doubled becuase more
> people bought the console than usual (twice as many in fact). This is
> mainly due to the release of one particular game...
>
> Elsewhere in the world, the Xbox is slightly up on GC sales.
>
> "it only just outsold the PS1 on japan!"
>
> Errr... I stated the FACT that outside of Japan, Xbox sales are a bit
> up on the GC. What on Earth is your reply meant to mean? Yes, Xbox
> sales in Japan are very poor. Japanese gamers just don't want Xbox's -
> they've historically never taken well to foreign game consoles.
>
>
> But who cares. The Dreamcast is one of the best consoles of all
> time,
> but died an early death.
>
> "go talk about ti elsewhere, and stop telling us of for making
> stupid comments to reasonable questions. you'r spoiling ma'
> furn!"
>
> Let me see...
>
> The last time I checked, this forum was for intelligent games chat.
> Every serious gamer knows that all the consoles are good in their own
> ways. Then idiots like you come on who think that console sales make
> one console better than another? Personally I think the DC had far
> more inovative, original, creative titles than the PS2, Xbox or GC
> (and please don't reply about that! It is my subjective opinion). Any
> serious gamer will agree is was a great console. Yet its sales were
> aweful, and it died early.

meh. I'm tired. I post badly when tired. what are myou gonna do about it?

nah nah nah!

;)
Fri 29/11/02 at 23:51
Regular
Dreamcast is still beating PS2 quality wise.

IMO of course
Fri 29/11/02 at 23:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Boss_Pac_Man2 wrote:

"So how have the GC sales Doubled?"

Errr... I state the FACT that most Japanese game shops don't sell GCs. What on Earth is that reply meant to mean? Sales doubled becuase more people bought the console than usual (twice as many in fact). This is mainly due to the release of one particular game...

> Elsewhere in the world, the Xbox is slightly up on GC sales.

"it only just outsold the PS1 on japan!"

Errr... I stated the FACT that outside of Japan, Xbox sales are a bit up on the GC. What on Earth is your reply meant to mean? Yes, Xbox sales in Japan are very poor. Japanese gamers just don't want Xbox's - they've historically never taken well to foreign game consoles.

> But who cares. The Dreamcast is one of the best consoles of all
> time,
> but died an early death.

"go talk about ti elsewhere, and stop telling us of for making stupid comments to reasonable questions. you'r spoiling ma' furn!"

Let me see...

The last time I checked, this forum was for intelligent games chat. Every serious gamer knows that all the consoles are good in their own ways. Then idiots like you come on who think that console sales make one console better than another? Personally I think the DC had far more inovative, original, creative titles than the PS2, Xbox or GC (and please don't reply about that! It is my subjective opinion). Any serious gamer will agree is was a great console. Yet its sales were aweful, and it died early.

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.