GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crash! Bang!....Wallop!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/03/02 at 14:03
Regular
Racing games seem to be in there numbers on the PS2 these days, there are loads of them, some good, some bad, and some ok. There is quite a large range in both how good they are, and the types of racing they offer. Now I could go on a write about which are the better ones, but that’s not the point of this post, here I am going to focus on one area of a racing game that often makes me decide whether I like it or not.... damage.

Yes, its true that damage is not everything, as GT3 has gone to show, it may all be about the controls and the AI, but for me the damage on the cars makes up a big thing for me. I suppose that this call comes down to the graphics but it does play a big part and I know im not alone in this way of thinking, many of you here always talk about how you wish they would include damage in GT3.

So why do I think like this? Well, damage in the game adds so much more to it, depth, tactical and fun comes more into the game when it is included. There is so more depth in the games when this is included as the likes of Colin McRae rally has shown. It can give you the mission to keep your car in as good of condition as you can so it does not cost you time and money to keep fixing it, and this obviously makes you be more careful on the track, it makes you drive more seriously and prohibits you from taking the short cut of flying around the corner so fast that you hit the railings but don’t loose much speed, or even it stops you from hitting other cars on the track to knock them out of the way. This too is partly tactical.

But one thing is for sure; you have to admit that the racing games that do have car damage on are far the more fun to play. I remember at times on the likes of Toca I would just ride around trashing my car as it looked good to see it start out in mint condition and come back into the pits like it had been in a war...if the pit stop people were real im sure i would have been sued on the spot!

Not only is it fun to do, but its fun to watch as well, seeing you car being destroyed after a spectacular crash as it spins in the air, gracefully...and then crushes its self as its land under its own weight.

If the developers get it right though it can looks so realistic. For me, the best game that has ever done car damage justice was Destruction Derby 2. This game had everything, speed, the graphics and the sheer amount of damage that you could do to your car, there were so many impact points on the models that even the tiniest of bumps dinted the car. The damage on this game too always seem so much more life like than any other, as when you hit the front of the car on another, it really does buckle, and same with any other part of the car. What was good about the way Reflections (the developers) did this was the fact that they were able to take this great engine to the Driver series, and these games were great too.

What made Driver so much better than DD 2 was that this gaming style was taken to more familiar grounds...real life roads. Here you would drive around cities with other sprites in there cars just living out there every day life, some sensible and some not, and these were the types of drivers that would ram your car like a bad woman driver! What made this better too was the police that were there, and the damage made these chases a lot more fun as you raced around the roads trying to keep away luring the police cars into on coming traffic and speeding away as they hot head on. This was real police chases on your TV whenever you wanted!

As more and more racing games come out, it seems that the damage in them is a common thing, which if the initial game is good, and the damage feature is good, its a great thing to include and one that we all have started to expect. One good thing about this feature, and one that hopefully the new GT will include is that damage can breath a new lease of life back into the sequels of these old games, and rather than give us some new cars and tracks, it offers us a new type of gaming in this game. Im just hoping that the awkward car manufactures soon change there mind and give GT that final improvement it needs.

But as I say, damage in the racing games for me is a big, and great thing, and hopefully more games will follow the DD 2 and GTA 3 car damage style that we all know and love.
Wed 06/03/02 at 16:18
Regular
"  "
well done pro evo. again :D
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:22
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Or†ega wrote:
> Heh, Another win from the PS2 forum. Theres me thinking all the winners come
> from FOG prime...

Cheers peeps.

And this is a true fact..6 of my 7 wins have all be from this forum, and 3 in the last 3 weeks. :D
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:20
Regular
Heh, Another win from the PS2 forum. Theres me thinking all the winners come from FOG prime...

Nice one mate.
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:17
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Pro Evo wrote:
>It would make a change driving on the left. :D

Well done on the GAD Pro Evo, another one to the long list :)

Yeah I agree with you on the driving bit, I do think it will be a bit weird driving on the left but it should be alot easier.

Although saying that, having to learn the art of driving on the left on a console will be great fun.....can't wait!
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Make's a change !!
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:11
Regular
Hehe.

Didnt want to brag. :D
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:08
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
What ! No mention of your latest GAD win ! Your'e slacking PE ! Well Done mate !!
Wed 06/03/02 at 14:42
Regular
Thinking about it, if 'The Getaway' is as good as it is suppose to be it should be rather good, and hopefully it will have the damage system in it. It would be like playing a much improved version of Driver and even better the fact that it would be in London.

It would make a change driving on the left. :D
Tue 05/03/02 at 14:57
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
I bought the GT3 playstation pack when i bought my ps2, which was only 5 months ago. and i think i have only played GT3 for about 2 or 3 hours at the most.

Yes it looks amazing, yes it has 1,345,678 diferent cars in it, loads of beautifully realised tracks, so why do i never want to play it.

The only time i put it on it to impress someone with how wonderful the track sceanery is. And how wonderful the replays are. I don't even want to play it.

In fact i'm going to trade it in soon. (I'm just abit gutted that it's come down in price to 19.99.) :(

But after all that slagging off, i can't deny it's an amazing peice of software, some people love it and have played it to 100% complete.

But i have to side with the damage people. It looks beter, it certainly adds realism and tactics into the race. DD2 was a superb game, but i think that there is one big feature that a racing game, with damage, MUST have.

And that is a REPLAY!!!

What's the good of causing a massive 15 car pile up if you can't watch it from the safety of the stands after, or from the unfortunate other drivers car. For me, replay is a must have feature.

Wouldn't every Pro Evolution player love to show people there, wonderful goal mouth clearance? But you can't cos you can only save goals.

Anyway i've rambled on far to long about this, but there can be as much, even more joy to be had, from watching the car or cars you have worked hard in destroying, dint, bend and smash into lots of smaller fragments and burst into flames.

Soz for going on to long if your still reading.

Mark
Tue 05/03/02 at 14:49
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
nh wrote:
> DD3 with the graphical improvementrs that the PS2 can give would be ace for getting rid of all that pent up road rage...

Yep, fully agree with getting rid of pent up road rage, I still find sometime that games like GTA3 after immersing myself in that for 2 or 3 hours and then get in a car can be lethal. I ended up driving down the road the other day on the wrong side.....luckily it's quite where I live, just children playing in the road!

I think the makers of GT should (if they can't get permission from the makers) release cars that you can't buy (make them up?) and then put the damage on, I know I'd have to drive a lot more carefully. I used to race against my mate and he would get really peed off when I'm behind him and just use him as a cushion into a tight corner.....he used to do it to me as well, but he always forgot about that.

I think the inclusion of damage would greatly improve the game but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't included.

I've just checked the SR site for a release date for DD3 and can't see anything, I'm sure I've seen it on there before because Kid Rock and I were talking about it, that was a few months ago though.....keep your eyes peeled for any info.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.