GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crash! Bang!....Wallop!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/03/02 at 14:03
Regular
Racing games seem to be in there numbers on the PS2 these days, there are loads of them, some good, some bad, and some ok. There is quite a large range in both how good they are, and the types of racing they offer. Now I could go on a write about which are the better ones, but that’s not the point of this post, here I am going to focus on one area of a racing game that often makes me decide whether I like it or not.... damage.

Yes, its true that damage is not everything, as GT3 has gone to show, it may all be about the controls and the AI, but for me the damage on the cars makes up a big thing for me. I suppose that this call comes down to the graphics but it does play a big part and I know im not alone in this way of thinking, many of you here always talk about how you wish they would include damage in GT3.

So why do I think like this? Well, damage in the game adds so much more to it, depth, tactical and fun comes more into the game when it is included. There is so more depth in the games when this is included as the likes of Colin McRae rally has shown. It can give you the mission to keep your car in as good of condition as you can so it does not cost you time and money to keep fixing it, and this obviously makes you be more careful on the track, it makes you drive more seriously and prohibits you from taking the short cut of flying around the corner so fast that you hit the railings but don’t loose much speed, or even it stops you from hitting other cars on the track to knock them out of the way. This too is partly tactical.

But one thing is for sure; you have to admit that the racing games that do have car damage on are far the more fun to play. I remember at times on the likes of Toca I would just ride around trashing my car as it looked good to see it start out in mint condition and come back into the pits like it had been in a war...if the pit stop people were real im sure i would have been sued on the spot!

Not only is it fun to do, but its fun to watch as well, seeing you car being destroyed after a spectacular crash as it spins in the air, gracefully...and then crushes its self as its land under its own weight.

If the developers get it right though it can looks so realistic. For me, the best game that has ever done car damage justice was Destruction Derby 2. This game had everything, speed, the graphics and the sheer amount of damage that you could do to your car, there were so many impact points on the models that even the tiniest of bumps dinted the car. The damage on this game too always seem so much more life like than any other, as when you hit the front of the car on another, it really does buckle, and same with any other part of the car. What was good about the way Reflections (the developers) did this was the fact that they were able to take this great engine to the Driver series, and these games were great too.

What made Driver so much better than DD 2 was that this gaming style was taken to more familiar grounds...real life roads. Here you would drive around cities with other sprites in there cars just living out there every day life, some sensible and some not, and these were the types of drivers that would ram your car like a bad woman driver! What made this better too was the police that were there, and the damage made these chases a lot more fun as you raced around the roads trying to keep away luring the police cars into on coming traffic and speeding away as they hot head on. This was real police chases on your TV whenever you wanted!

As more and more racing games come out, it seems that the damage in them is a common thing, which if the initial game is good, and the damage feature is good, its a great thing to include and one that we all have started to expect. One good thing about this feature, and one that hopefully the new GT will include is that damage can breath a new lease of life back into the sequels of these old games, and rather than give us some new cars and tracks, it offers us a new type of gaming in this game. Im just hoping that the awkward car manufactures soon change there mind and give GT that final improvement it needs.

But as I say, damage in the racing games for me is a big, and great thing, and hopefully more games will follow the DD 2 and GTA 3 car damage style that we all know and love.
Mon 04/03/02 at 14:03
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Racing games seem to be in there numbers on the PS2 these days, there are loads of them, some good, some bad, and some ok. There is quite a large range in both how good they are, and the types of racing they offer. Now I could go on a write about which are the better ones, but that’s not the point of this post, here I am going to focus on one area of a racing game that often makes me decide whether I like it or not.... damage.

Yes, its true that damage is not everything, as GT3 has gone to show, it may all be about the controls and the AI, but for me the damage on the cars makes up a big thing for me. I suppose that this call comes down to the graphics but it does play a big part and I know im not alone in this way of thinking, many of you here always talk about how you wish they would include damage in GT3.

So why do I think like this? Well, damage in the game adds so much more to it, depth, tactical and fun comes more into the game when it is included. There is so more depth in the games when this is included as the likes of Colin McRae rally has shown. It can give you the mission to keep your car in as good of condition as you can so it does not cost you time and money to keep fixing it, and this obviously makes you be more careful on the track, it makes you drive more seriously and prohibits you from taking the short cut of flying around the corner so fast that you hit the railings but don’t loose much speed, or even it stops you from hitting other cars on the track to knock them out of the way. This too is partly tactical.

But one thing is for sure; you have to admit that the racing games that do have car damage on are far the more fun to play. I remember at times on the likes of Toca I would just ride around trashing my car as it looked good to see it start out in mint condition and come back into the pits like it had been in a war...if the pit stop people were real im sure i would have been sued on the spot!

Not only is it fun to do, but its fun to watch as well, seeing you car being destroyed after a spectacular crash as it spins in the air, gracefully...and then crushes its self as its land under its own weight.

If the developers get it right though it can looks so realistic. For me, the best game that has ever done car damage justice was Destruction Derby 2. This game had everything, speed, the graphics and the sheer amount of damage that you could do to your car, there were so many impact points on the models that even the tiniest of bumps dinted the car. The damage on this game too always seem so much more life like than any other, as when you hit the front of the car on another, it really does buckle, and same with any other part of the car. What was good about the way Reflections (the developers) did this was the fact that they were able to take this great engine to the Driver series, and these games were great too.

What made Driver so much better than DD 2 was that this gaming style was taken to more familiar grounds...real life roads. Here you would drive around cities with other sprites in there cars just living out there every day life, some sensible and some not, and these were the types of drivers that would ram your car like a bad woman driver! What made this better too was the police that were there, and the damage made these chases a lot more fun as you raced around the roads trying to keep away luring the police cars into on coming traffic and speeding away as they hot head on. This was real police chases on your TV whenever you wanted!

As more and more racing games come out, it seems that the damage in them is a common thing, which if the initial game is good, and the damage feature is good, its a great thing to include and one that we all have started to expect. One good thing about this feature, and one that hopefully the new GT will include is that damage can breath a new lease of life back into the sequels of these old games, and rather than give us some new cars and tracks, it offers us a new type of gaming in this game. Im just hoping that the awkward car manufactures soon change there mind and give GT that final improvement it needs.

But as I say, damage in the racing games for me is a big, and great thing, and hopefully more games will follow the DD 2 and GTA 3 car damage style that we all know and love.
Mon 04/03/02 at 14:19
Regular
Damage in GT3 would definitly make me a better driver. Sometimes i just cant be bothered with doing a turn properly and just slide across the side of the track. Also it is just far to easy to use another car as a cushion.

You played Burnout? I find it very annoying when you crash. You have to sit through an annoying cut-scene of your car crashingbefore you can get back to driving. Okay, this should lead to you becoming a better driver, but it just aint fun...

Whats the answer? Just have games with a nice little option in the menu...Damage on/off...
Mon 04/03/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I think it all comes down to the type of game that you want to play - If you want to play F1 games , how realistic do you want them ? Do you want to be able to race around the track and stand a chance of winning a race or do you want to run the risk of crashing out after two corners due to what seems an innocuous little knock.

The thing about a series like Gran Turismo is that it is designed to be an enjoyable driving game - the emphasis being on driving. If a damage model was introduced would it follow the toca route where bits got dented and bits fell off but you could still carry on racing or do you use the DD mould where as you lose bits the car slows down and finally stops.

It comes down to trying to make a game that people will actually play and we want to play racing games that give us the chance of finishing and winning races. When damage is introduced it is very difficult to do it in a way that will please enough of us gamers. Do we want 100% simulations or do we want games ? If it was total simulations then very few of us would play them because they would just be too darn hard.

Personally, If I want to enjoy some out and out racing I will play GT3, If I want to drive and mess around I would play Toca or Driver.
Mon 04/03/02 at 16:13
Regular
"  "
i hate games without damage except GT3......the idea of racing is taking risks and if you have nothing to risk with then whats the point......for example your driver should have a health metre and you should be able to kill him....that would rock! And for people who want a fun racing game try that new f1 game coming out....can't remeber the name but in it you have joined a leaguues with f1 drivers who wanted to change the rules....the FIA banned this and a new league was formed.....manic! I'll try and find a link....and TOCA Race Driver looks like it has ggood damage :)
Mon 04/03/02 at 18:23
Regular
I don't really like racing games but i can see that damage should be in the game, it's like a developer making a football game with no injurys or even bookings.
Mon 04/03/02 at 18:28
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Damage effects are really hard to display, that's probably why it wasn't issued in GT3. But Burnout displayed great crashes with realism, and maybe that's why I enjoyed it more!

If there's no damage - there's no realism - and that's what a good racer needs...damage!
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Wow, i actually got a discusion going here..with varied opinions too!!

:D
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:09
Regular
"Touched!"
bah GT3? gimmie 007 racing anyday ;)
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
sPiKe2k wrote:
> bah GT3? gimmie 007 racing anyday ;)

007 for the PS2, yes, 007 for Playstation...NO!
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I've never played DD2 but I used to have the original DD when it first came out and even at that early stage of the PSx's time it was absolutely brilliant even by todays standards.

I too have been disappointed with the lack of damage in GT3 but can understand the reasons for it not being included and I can respect the manufacturers wishes, just wish they'd lighten up a bit :-)

Hopefully there will be a DD3 (I've heard rumours that it's in production) and if it does make it here to the PS2 then I will definitely be getting it......total carnage, just what the doctor ordered!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.