GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tomb Raider - A milked Franchise?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/11/02 at 20:45
Regular
I dont know about you, but im not sure its a good thing for more of these games to come out. Im getting the feeling that this franchise has been milked for too long now, and maybe its best if Eidos concentrated on similar games, but start with something new and refreshing.

Dont get me wrong. I love the first game and the second game more than anything. At the time they were something new that had not really been done before. The games just seemed huge with really large levels, the graphics were stunning and lara was a truly unique person in her own right. These first two were stunnas.

Then the third game went slightly off the rails, and i found the plot boring and dull, the gameplay was wildly too hard, and there wasnt enough different in the game to keep you hooked to it. It suffered badly.

Thats where i thought things would end. But no. Out came the film. It wasnt all that bad and was slightly enjoyable, but nothing special, and it just seemed that the franchise was being over used once again. Then the 4th game came out, and suffered many of the problems the same as the game before, only the plot got worse and this carried on with the game that followed that.

So if this trend continues, what can we expect from the new PS2 game? More of the same with better graphics? I hope not, i hope something new to bring the series back to the top is in place, i loved the first games and its sad to see this series seemingly die out. I really want Eidos to pull out all the stops with this next game, and not see any more rubbish come from them.
Wed 04/12/02 at 01:06
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2264

Some new screenshots.

Dont look half bad actually.
Sun 01/12/02 at 11:43
There are some nice ideas there FantasyMeister, i do suppose that the ability to be able to play from either a 3rd person view of First person would add some new perspective to the game, and give it that little bit of life that its needed. There is no doubt that the graphical advancment that the game will have will be on a really high scale from the last game, its just a matter of hoping that Eidos dont feel that this will be enough to sell the game, and i hope they do something and give us something special this time around.

I have seen some more clips on an old DVD from one of the magazines where she is snooping around an office, then a police officer turns up and arrests her. Maybe there will be a whole new AI system, once again breathing new life into the game.

Its a possibility.
Sun 01/12/02 at 10:58
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
A milked franchise? Really?

D'uh.
Sun 01/12/02 at 10:43
Regular
"Max Power"
i didnt realise
Sun 01/12/02 at 04:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Did anyone notice on Timesplitters 2 how the first Timesplitter that goes into the Dam looks a bit like Lara Croft?

How about a Lara Croft FPS interspersed with decent plot moving FMV between the levels, then chuck in the option of being able to play from a third person perspective and change the controls in this mode accordingly so Lara can do all the normal acrobatics that she normally does.

You're basically looking at Metal Gear Solid but with the ability to move whilst in FPS mode. The possibilities are endless:

Stand infront of a bathroom mirror with a PSG Sniper Rifle and have hours of fun with the zoom function on the scope

Being able to choose to stand your ground with a handful of grenades, chucking them at the onrushing enemies, or switch into FPS mode with a heavy calibre assault rifle and run in taking them head on, pulling off a few backflips and side-jumps just for artistic panache.

Being able to choose between using scenery for cover (like trees, boxes, tables, parked vehicles) or being able to climb a tree, crouch behind a box, kick over a table, crawl under a van, and take your enemies out that way.

I expect the final say lies with Eidos, as they're pretty strict on what Lara can and cannot do. But there's plenty of opportunities to improve the franchise rather than let it drift into endless level updates. Take a look at how far the PS2 has come in terms of what it can do. View Timesplitters original against Timesplitters 2 and there's a marked difference in quality, then look at the huge difference between MGS on the PSX and MGS2 on the PS2.

Lara's first outing on the PS2 will definitely be a huge leap in terms of graphics, the only worry as you said in the original post is the gameplay, but we already know that if games like Timesplitters can make huge improvements there's no reason that Eidos can't do the same. If they don't then it's their funeral.
Sun 01/12/02 at 02:37
Or†ega wrote:
> Tomb Raider - A milked Franchise?
>
> I dunno, but you could milk Lara's assets for days!

I was waiting for this from the moment i posted the topic, knew it had to come at some point. Took a fair few hours though.

:-)
Sun 01/12/02 at 02:08
Regular
Tomb Raider - A milked Franchise?

I dunno, but you could milk Lara's assets for days!
Sun 01/12/02 at 01:23
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I think i do remember somewhere reading that there is going to be stealth elements in the new game, so maybe if its true, that is one step in the right direction.

But we will have to wait till next year i guess to see what they did with the game...or didnt.
Sat 30/11/02 at 21:05
I did see some cluips of it and it seems lara has like loads of new stealth moves so maybe it will have a take on mgs. Maybe each level could have multiple objectives or a storyline depending on whether you complete certain objectives and were you have to make choices that affect the game.
Sat 30/11/02 at 21:00
Pro Evo wrote:
>
> Its not a question of just improving the graphics and storyline, each
> of the PS1 versions did that, and as said, they werent much cop
> either. Some new life needs to be injected into the series some how.
> Not just the usual 'new vehicle, new move, new character'.
>
> How life would be injected into it im not sure, but something has to
> be done put set the series back to the top of the pile.

Exactly my point, its hard to think what needs to be done, but something has to be. Perhaps some sort of new perspective, change in gameplay elements rather than the slightly slow 'sluggishness' ( wow, new word) of the games. Be interesting to see Lara take on an MGS style of gameplay perhaps.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.