GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Confirmation of PS2 Pre-Order"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/09/00 at 13:44
Regular
I got my PS2 Pre-Order confermation letter from sony today. Has any one else got there letter? if so can some one tell me if the customer order number on the letter is the number you are in the queue for the PS2?
Tue 03/10/00 at 23:01
You, sir, are one very lucky person!
Tue 03/10/00 at 22:50
THanks Babylonian

I got my confirmation letter this afternoon, and after endless phone calls and E-Mail, have been assured by sony that i am one of the first 200,000 !

Fortunately for me, i live in an unpopulated area of north wales, and the first lot of forms did not sell out that quickly.
Tue 03/10/00 at 13:44
Okay, all point at Kieran and laugh! ;-p

Only joking, honestly.

If you check out one of my posts elsewhere, Official UK PlayStation mag states that the first batch of 200,000 forms were gone in the first 48 hours, which would have been (approximately) the morning of Saturday 9th September.

The later batches of pre-order forms apparently are unlikely (or at least, not guaranteed) to be fulfilled until after Christmas.

It doesn't sound too good, but hopefully you will have somehow managed to squeeze onto the end of the first batch; if not, my sincere condolences; I will think of you when mine arrives.
Tue 03/10/00 at 13:18
Matt.

I got this information from sony themselves. Now either they are fed up with me buggin' them, or this is just the new information that they have been ordered to give out.

The pre-order number cannot be anything to do with the date in which you will receive your console, because all the forms were sent out on the same day. It is just a simple tracking system for your particular order.

I know it is hard to keep faith, but considring you were probably one of the first to place a pre order, you should be ok. Keep your pity for me, i didn't pre-order until 12th sept !! Imagine how i must be feeling.
Tue 03/10/00 at 12:27
This is the latest reply I have had from Sony (they love me hassleing them all the time!!!):

Allocation of PS2 is according to when they were ordered. This allows us to operate on a first come, first served basis, which we believe is the fairest way to allocate the available stock.

Regards,

PSUK Customer Service
Sony Computer Entertainment UK

So thats some good news at least. Those of us who dragged themselves out of bed and got in bright and early on the 7th of Sept should at least have some priority.

There is a story on PS2city.com that claims to explain the real reasons for the shortage. They think that Sony will have the situation in hand by the time the system is released here, so lets hope they are right.
Tue 03/10/00 at 10:21
Babylonian,

You have to take your confirmation letter with your form to pick up your PS2 (whenever it turns up), so I will be printing the Email off. I figure it is just as official as a letter as it will have my name on it with the golden words "PS2 order confirmed" on it, but alas I still have received nothing.
Tue 03/10/00 at 10:19
Kieran,

How do you know this? Do you work for Sony or know someone that does? I really hope that you are right as I was in my local Game store at 8am on the 7th and filled in one of the first forms.

Babylonian, I also had loads of hassle finding the new PSM2 mag. I kept checking with game stores but they said that it still had not been delivered, then bu chance I went in a small news agent and there it was!!!
You have much more patience than I have I must say. This side of christmas!!! I want it on the 24th that is why I pre-ordered it. Everyone who filled in the official forms should get one in the first week. If that does not happen then the pre-order scheme is a failure in my eyes.
Tue 03/10/00 at 01:40
To all.

It doesn't matter when they [the retail outlets] sent off the forms, because the date that you pre-ordered the console is written in on the form. You will then be inserted into the right place in the "first come, first served" system.

And also, do not take any notice of the pre-order number, it is only there so that Sony has a frame of reference for your particular order.
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:57
No, Matt - I requested confirmation by normal snail-mail; maybe I'm daft, but I wanted an official piece of paper - something physical - as absolute proof!

This from the latest Official PlayStation Magazine, which arrived in the post today...

"It was always going to be a best-seller, the only question was how long would it take to shift the 200,000 PlayStation 2 pre-order forms available at game retailers around the country. Shops opened at a minute past midnight on 7 September and 48 hours later all pre-order forms were gone.

So, where does that leave those who missed out on the first batch? Sadly, it'll be after Christmas before you're able to get your hands on a machine. The first 200,000 are guaranteed for delivery between 24 November and Christmas. Sony has yet to confirm its plans after that. Depending on the number of machines it can produce it'll either release consoles straight onto the shelves or set up another pre-order system. Let's hope those factories are working round the clock."

Okay - the first I notice is this: they state 200,000 pre-order forms in the first batch. I was at my local Game store at 7:00am on 7 September, and must have been in this 'first batch'; yet my order form number is 0289526 - obviously over 200,000. I'm assuming therefore that the forms don't start at 0000001. Of course, this number *should* be irrelevant, as the system is "strictly first come, first served" - but I can't help wondering.

The good side of Christmas will do, but I really, *really* want November 24th!

Thanks for the news on the new PSM2 mag by the way. I searched every newsagent in Northampton (I think) on Saturday, and couldn't find it. Sod's law it came out today!
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:26
I forgot to mention that I requested my confirmation by E-mail as I thought that would be quicker.

Did you all request your confirmation by mail????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.