GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MP3 Thing - Explain"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/03/02 at 23:06
Regular
Ok I only recently heard about this MP3 thingy for te XBox, it sounds intresting and being a music lover it sounds great.

But, i'm not all sure what it does etc. How do i get the MP3's on the XBox? Do I have to download them FROM the Box to be able to sue them? How does it all work?
Sat 02/03/02 at 23:06
"Uzi Lover"
Ok I only recently heard about this MP3 thingy for te XBox, it sounds intresting and being a music lover it sounds great.

But, i'm not all sure what it does etc. How do i get the MP3's on the XBox? Do I have to download them FROM the Box to be able to sue them? How does it all work?
Sat 02/03/02 at 23:10
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Not really sure but I know that Some DVD players play MP3 and VCD disks (mine does) so maybe it allows you to play them off a disk and if that is the case then I'm sure you would be able to play them from the hard disk unit.
Sun 03/03/02 at 09:07
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Basically you can either connect your X-Box to your PC and exchange the files over that way or put in music CD's which are consequently ripped into MP3 format for you to play. MP3's can be played whenever you like straight off your X-Box (at the main title screen) or in selected games which let you create a playlist of your favourite tracks (i.e in Amped and Project Gotham Racing).

Outlaw.
Sun 03/03/02 at 11:26
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Outlaw_UK wrote:
> Basically you can either connect your X-Box to your PC and exchange the files
> over that way

No you cant do this. If some clever person actually writes some code for the PC to do it then yes you can. But you can't do this normally. The only way to get music to the X-Box is by ripping a CD to it. Also I dont think many CD-R's work but apparently CD-RW works. So if you have tons of MP3's on your PC, the best thing to do would be to have 2 CD-RW discs. And then write all the MP3's as proper CD tracks. And then rip one disc to the X-Box while writing on the other.
Sun 03/03/02 at 13:27
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Seeing as though nobody else here seems to know what they are talking about, let me explain.

The XBox has got 2Gb of HD space reserved for personal MP3s. These MP3s can then be played back just like a personal jukebox, or, if the game allows it, as extra music to accompany a game.

The process to get the music onto your XBox is simple (no PC is involved). You go to the "music" option on the menu, insert an audio CD (it has to be audio, not MP3 format), and then you simply rip the MP3s to the HD (a fast process). This automatically creates a playlist for that album, which you give a name. Playlists can be added to/deleted from.

As you can imagine, 2Gb is going to hold a lot of MP3s so your games will never sound the same again!! Not all games support this function of being able to use custom soundtracks, but nearly all will in the future.

At the moment, it is not yet possible to connect an XBox to a PC to copy MP3s across. The file-format on the XBox HD is proprietory, and until someone writes some software to get over this incompatibility, the only way to get MP3s onto your XBox is by the method above.

Hope that helps.
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:20
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
adrian wrote:
> Outlaw_UK wrote:
> Basically you can either connect your X-Box to your PC
> and exchange the files
> over that way

No you cant do this.

----

B*tchin', so I'll have to put the MP3's from my PC onto CD and then back on my X-Box. Let's just hope someone develops software so that we can do that.

Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 17:52
Regular
"BOSE"
when i 1st heard about putting ur own music in2 some games i thought it was ace :)

i thought u put an audio cd in2 the game slot and copied it from there. so does ne1 know how it works? does the xbox come with a lead that runs from ur xbox in2 ur comps cpu? :S
Thu 07/03/02 at 18:29
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Quite a few people have been saying that you can't do this, but if you can connect your PC and your X-Box for this Halo thing it may be possible for MP3's to work in the same way.

Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 20:04
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Daveus wrote:
> when i 1st heard about putting ur own music in2 some games i thought it was ace
> :)

i thought u put an audio cd in2 the game slot and copied it from there. so
> does ne1 know how it works? does the xbox come with a lead that runs from ur
> xbox in2 ur comps cpu? :S

I explained how it works in an earlier post. All you do is put the music CD into the XBox DVD drive, and go to the music option on the menu. This lets you rip the music as MP3s to the hard drive (the XBox does it all for you).

No leads are neaded, nor are they available.
Fri 08/03/02 at 08:08
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Outlaw_UK wrote:
> Quite a few people have been saying that you can't do this, but if you can
> connect your PC and your X-Box for this Halo thing it may be possible for MP3's
> to work in the same way.

Outlaw.

It would be possiable if someone actually programs the software.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.