GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 confirmed for Xbox.."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/09/00 at 18:54
Regular
Microsoft recently announced MGS 2 IS coming out on the Xbox and not the original...plus there are 160 developers now signed up!
What do u guys think of this??
Fri 06/10/00 at 11:40
Well put Kieran,

I like you am buying the PS2 partly on the strength of the PS1. The PS1 was not the most powerful console available at the time but it still produced the best games. It was also well supported by 3rd party developers, which resulted in an extensive and diverse software library.

Some of the games that I have seen so far are amazing and I cant wait to get my hands on TTT and SSX (the two games that I am purchasing at launch). I am not really interested in online gaming (as I agree with Sony that the networks need a lot of work before you can really play to a high standard over the net), so the DC has never really appealed to me. The PS2 has the sort of games that interest me and I am currently very exited about the upcoming titles the Summoner, the Bouncer, Onimusha and GT2000 (or GT3 whichever you prefer).

There are new games being announced every day and you just know that they will get better and better as developers get to grips with the PS2 hardware.

To me the DVD facility is just an added bonus. I would have payed £299 for the PS2 regardless. It does however make it easier to justify my purchase to my wife!!! and for this I am very grateful to Sony. I doubt whether we will buy many DVD's to play in it but it is always a good excuse!!!
Thu 05/10/00 at 18:40
Regular
"I like cheese"
I agree, I've been trying to get this through for ages. That is EXACTLY why I'm buying a PS2. WELL SAID!!!
Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 05/10/00 at 18:32
Regular
What a great reply! I have been waiting a long time for someone to say something like this! Someone who cares not about the DVD, or the design, price or looks, BUT who DOES care about the games! Hurrah!
Wed 04/10/00 at 21:51
I have pre-ordered playstation 2 for one reason, and one reason only, the original playstation is so good, and has given me so many YEARS of good gaming service, that i believe i can't go wrong buying playstation 2. I don't care if in 2 weeks time it is not the most powerful console, or rated the best, as far as i am concerned it is the only console for me. Of course, that is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to have their own views and favourites.

Also the TEKKEN series are my favourite games of all time, and i can't wait to get my hands on TTT. (Even if some of the reviews have been bad !)

P.S. The fact that it plays DVD movies is just an added bonus. Generically it is still a games console, and i would still buy it without DVD capability.
Wed 04/10/00 at 17:42
I can't comment on RPG's in particular, because I'm not too keen on them. I had Final Fantasy 7 and didn't even get off of the first disc before I got bored.

As I've said elsewhere though, games are and extremely personal thing, and in my view, you can't say that a console is poor because of its software. Difference people like different things, and some people are far easier to please than others. The game "Iznogoud" on PS was by all accounts utter tosh, but I bet several people bought it!

I like the Ridge Racer, Tekken, GT and Tomb Raider games (among several others), so I have no problem at all with the sequels on PS2. I am hoping (even expecting), though, that the power of PS2 will bring new features to forthcoming sequels, and that many new and original games will also appear.

PlayStation is my choice of console, not because of any particular loyalty to Sony, but because PlayStation has the majority of games that I want to play. I'm 29, and until recently, the majority of software on the Sega and Nintendo machines was too immature for me (Sonic, Donkey Kong, Mario etc. - I'm sure they're all very good, but they're not for me). I always swore that I would never buy a console at all because they were "for kids", but PlayStation and the games available changed that.

Things are changing. At this moment in time, though I could easily afford one, I do not want a Dreamcast, and I do want a PS2. I do not, however, rule out buying either a GameCube or an X-Box, or both - though I have to admit to being extremely wary of buying anything Microsoft produce.

For the moment, though, I will be extremely happy to get my hands on my PS2. I'll think about the others when they arrive. *IF* either machine has enough of the type of software I want, then I will buy them when they become available.
Wed 04/10/00 at 16:38
This is the kinda thing I just really dont get and I think these people are very naieve (spelling)
Im sorry but if RPG games are your thing you have probably bought the wrong console my friend.....
With a little research, you could have found that Grandia 11, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online and Skies of Arcadia are all coming out on the Dreamcast which are all expected 9/10 titles, most of them are 10/10 and they will arrive before any good PS2 RPGs even consider hitting our shores because none of them look good (CVG gave Eternal ring 1/5!!!) Im not guffing the PS2, I think everyone should buy the console they are going to be the happiest with, but not the one that you really dont know if your going to be happy with.
That is a waste of £300 and Ill expect to see your PS2 on ebay.
Information, people need it to make precise desicions, I think and unbiased person should provide them and stop all this waste...
Bab?
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:12
nice one Bluebottle and happy gaming to you too
Tue 03/10/00 at 19:52
To be honest, If someone game me £300 I would go out and get a PS2 (as soon as I could actually get my hands on one that is) but it looks as though I'll miss out on this exciting launch.
It's so fun to be part of a console launch by getting it on the day. I love opening a pristine new console and filling my nostrols with the scent of new plastic...mmm. I did this with the Spectrum, Atari ST and consoles: the original Playstation and with the Dreamcast. It was all so exciting and new and I have been impressed every time I've tried out the new games.
So, good luck and happy launch day to all those who get their hands on a PS2 on day one.
Tue 03/10/00 at 10:33
I also decided to buy a PS2 before I ever saw any screenshots of MGS2. I pre-ordered my PS2 with my local GAME store back in April after seeing some quicktime movies of the Bouncer, TTT and GT2000.

I am still planning on buying TTT on release day as I am a big beat-em-up fan. Since my infatuation with the PS2 started however, I have been following its progress with interest. Through the problems with memory cards in Japan, the Anti-Aliasing disaster, tough to programme for rumours and DVD problems. I kept the faith and must say that I want a PS2 more than ever now. After seeing SSX (incidently the other game that I am going to purchase at launch), Summoner (check this one out RPG fan), MGS2, Silent Scope, StarWars Starfighter etc I must say that the games are already starting to look awesome. This is just the beginning and I can see the games breaking new ground as developers really get to grips with the system.

Roll on Nov 24th!!
Tue 03/10/00 at 00:53
I did not Pre-Order my PS2 just because of MGS2, I did not even know it was coming out on the PS2, and I did not even see any Screen Shots back in March, as it was not announced then. I should be getting mine by Christmas, seeing as I ordered mine with SR on the 6th of March. I mainly bought it wqith Role Playing games in mind, as I know I can spend £35 on a Car Game and then put it down 10Mins later. I like Role Playing, and am hoping the PS2 will be able to make them look much better, and if they can make them as addictive as the SNES ones were, then it will be a sure winner! DVD is good, but I like those games. What are other peoples reasons for buying the PS2??? Who knows if the PS2 has a Port that you will be able to plug a Cheat Cartridge into? I don't like to cheat, but I just like to know that the option will be there.........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.