GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Biggest Mistake SquareSoft Ever Made..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/12/02 at 09:24
Regular
...was having 'Rikki' sing the ending theme to Final Fantasy X on the PAL version.

Whilst the pentatonic scale may sound pleasing to the Asian ear, and whilst singers that sound like strangled cats may be all the rage in Japan, Rikki just didn't cut it for me, although my cat did request to hear it a second time.

Why oh why oh why didn't they just translate the song into English and throw Cher a few hundred bucks to perform it for the US/European release? They did it for Final Fantasy 8, why not Final Fantasy X? (True, it wasn't Cher singing, but they did bother to translate the song into English).

Apart from that, and of course The Bouncer, SquareSoft are doing OK.

[/rant]
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Suki da ne is a fantastic song. And they didn't change it to English for FF8, 'Eyes on me' was sung by Faye Wong and always was (she is actually one of the biggest popstars in the world because she is so famous in Asia.)

The end theme to Chocobo Racing was re-recorded for the English release, and it was absolutely awful! The original Japanese song was beautiful and they wrecked it.
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:51
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> (Grade 5 piano, but hey, it counts)

I have grade 1 piano and....

Grade 3 singing!

hehe

so I'm more qualified to comment ;)
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:51
Regular
lol! Me too! (Grade 5 piano I mean). I quit ages ago though, so all musical ability has gone out the window. I can still play a few little pieces, but I`d struggle to learn anything new these days.

Anyway, I know what ya mean, it wasn`t the most impressive ending song ever. Still, it didn`t bother me as its a good time to go and get a drink or whatever, and then come back for the rest of the end sequence.
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
She left me with grated nerves. She was to 'squeaky', she scooped to too many of the notes instead of changing pitch instantly, and her fades were too random. Speaking as a trained classical musician (Grade 5 piano, but hey, it counts) her singing appeared to break every taboo known to Western music. Les Dawson could have sung it better.
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:46
Regular
Maybe they heard the ending theme to Metal Gear Solid 2 and thought "Aha, so we put the worst ending theme we can think of on the end of the game and it`ll sell!"
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:36
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I liked it. Its a departure from the 'music' that usualy assaults my ears.
Mon 02/12/02 at 09:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
...was having 'Rikki' sing the ending theme to Final Fantasy X on the PAL version.

Whilst the pentatonic scale may sound pleasing to the Asian ear, and whilst singers that sound like strangled cats may be all the rage in Japan, Rikki just didn't cut it for me, although my cat did request to hear it a second time.

Why oh why oh why didn't they just translate the song into English and throw Cher a few hundred bucks to perform it for the US/European release? They did it for Final Fantasy 8, why not Final Fantasy X? (True, it wasn't Cher singing, but they did bother to translate the song into English).

Apart from that, and of course The Bouncer, SquareSoft are doing OK.

[/rant]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.