GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ps2 better than x-box? please help me understand how."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/12/02 at 11:51
Regular
I am the proud owner of just about every games machine and console that's come out since the spectrum 48K (which i still have)
However i cant condone all this talk about PS2 being a better system than the X-box. Dont get me wrong its a good bit of kit. But you cant judge a console by the games on it, the x-box has higher spec hardware, youve only got to play a game like timesplitters or bunout on it and then compare to the ps2 version to see the very obvious graphics and speed difference. I admit whoever designed the controller on the box was a blind monkey on acid but who cares, you can use ps2 controller's on x'box with a $6:00 adapter. Can anyone argue this point
Tue 03/12/02 at 11:51
I am the proud owner of just about every games machine and console that's come out since the spectrum 48K (which i still have)
However i cant condone all this talk about PS2 being a better system than the X-box. Dont get me wrong its a good bit of kit. But you cant judge a console by the games on it, the x-box has higher spec hardware, youve only got to play a game like timesplitters or bunout on it and then compare to the ps2 version to see the very obvious graphics and speed difference. I admit whoever designed the controller on the box was a blind monkey on acid but who cares, you can use ps2 controller's on x'box with a $6:00 adapter. Can anyone argue this point
Tue 03/12/02 at 11:53
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
skineddy wrote:
> But you cant judge a console by the games on it

Hmmmm, most people would think otherwise.
Tue 03/12/02 at 12:02
I think my wording was wrongly interpreted, that isnt to say that there are no good games on x-box, what about halo, splintercell, nhl2002, burnout, timesplitters2, blinx, unreal championship, motogp, sega gt2002. I shant cary on, the ps2's got some great games to, but its been about a lot longer and to be hounest the only good games in the last year have been vice city, metalgear solid 2 (which will be better on the box) and final fantasy.
Tue 03/12/02 at 12:32
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
It doesn't matter if a console is great or rubbish it IS the games that make a console. Consoles are sold at cost/a loss in a move to get them into as many homes as possible knowing Mr Average will buy X amount of games each year.

I don't think the "my console is better than yours" debate can be concluded until the next generation of each console comes out. Even then everyone has an opinion and peoples opion's vary.

As long as your happy, why give a t*ss what anyone else thinks ??
You shouldn't need reassuring.

(he says sitting here with his pink and yellow shirt on) NOT.
Tue 03/12/02 at 13:19
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Does it matter?? Surely by posting this on a PS2 forum most (if not all) of the respondants will be proud PS2 owners.

Like everyone's said it's the games that make a console not how many polys it can push. Sure the XBox has more raw power, but the difference isn't as pronounced as you might think - see Burnout2 and TS2 for proof.

If you're happy with your XBox or PS2 then what does it matter what we think??

As for good games, both consoles have excellent titles, but for me, as I have a PS2, there hasn't been a title strong enough to make me want to buy Bill's 'Box. That doesn't mean to say that I think a PS2 is better, but I simply prefer it and the games that are on it.
Tue 03/12/02 at 13:58
That was very diplomatic of you all, i didnt start this chat to say my box is bigger than yours, i just find a lot of ps2 people like dissing the box, and i fancyed hearing some well backed up reasons for it(for no other reason than to hear people get really irate)I love my PS2 and cuddle up to it each night with a warm cup of coco whilst my x-box gives us both a massage. Free love to all console's and theyre fan clubs
Tue 03/12/02 at 16:05
"You love us!"
skineddy wrote:
> come out since the spectrum 48K (which i still have)

> But you cant judge a console by the games on it, the x-box has higher spec hardware, youve only got to play a game like timesplitters or bunout
> on it and then compare to the ps2 version to see the very obvious
> graphics and speed difference point

One of the above statements is a lie, because *anyone* who was a gamer in the Speccy/VIC20/C64 era would *never* say that one computer/console is better than another because it has more (graphical) power.

If you were a gamer back when the very best and latest computer games were programmed by guys in their bedrooms, the very thought of saying that the power and performance of a machine is more important than good games and top notch gameplay, is quite simple unthinkable.

And judging by your ability to string a sentence together, I would be willing to wager that when the Speccy 48k was released, you were no more than a glint in the milkman's eye.

Other than that, you seem quite level-headed, which is more than can be said more most gamers of your generation.
Tue 03/12/02 at 16:06
"...Unicef pennies.."
skineddy wrote:

Surely we can, given that this is the reason that we have the console in the first place?
Tue 03/12/02 at 16:37
> skineddy wrote:
>

Thats the very thing you should judge a console on i feel. Theres no point a console having all the powers in the world if the damn thing cant play any decent games on it is there?

Id rather have a poorer console with lesser specs but superb games over a console with brilliant specs but below par games ect.

You get my drift.
Tue 03/12/02 at 16:42
Regular
"we escape....."
Verbatim wrote:
> skineddy wrote:
>
>
> Thats the very thing you should judge a console on i feel. Theres no
> point a console having all the powers in the world if the damn thing
> cant play any decent games on it is there?
>
> Id rather have a poorer console with lesser specs but superb games
> over a console with brilliant specs but below par games ect.
>
> You get my drift.

Obviously it's based on the games the X-box just doesn't have any good quality games. I mean if i were to name a list of quality games on either console i could say GTA 3, Pro Evolution you know...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.