GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sports Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 23:52
Regular
What's the point?

Football/Rugby/Gold etc etc, you can go outside and do these, so why are they so popular?
Is it because it allows those without skill to participate?
Come on, kicking a ball with your foot doesn't exactly require much technique does it?
(a) Strike ball with foot
(b) Repeat
I could be a Premier league footballer if I wanted to, but I've never had the urge, therefore never practised and therefore never have been.
Well, that and I can count and write my name without going over the edges of the boxes.

I can see the appeal of multiplayer Olympic type games, because it's a male thing to engage in competition with your male companions, it establishes a dominance and pecking order.
That's what being a bloke is about, being better than another bloke at something.

But why play these things by yourself?
Why, when you can explore new worlds and command armies of thousands of men, would you choose to play a sports game?
To me, that indicates a lack of aspiration or imagination.
But then again, could be the reason you're playing a sports game in the 1st place - because you can't read the manual for Civilisation 3 without your lips hurting after a while.

Cricket Games.
Jesus Christ, spare me.
It's bad enough that people actually play this for real, spending days whacking a ball to the edge of a field and running 13ft to the wicket and back again.
And they get busted for cheating. How do they cheat? Do they take steroids? Do the knobble the opposition?
No, they rub dirt into the seam of a ball.
HOLY EXCITEMENT BATMAN!
But I've seen cricket games on the shelves, so I know some muppet will buy it and play it inside.
All by themselves.
Then again, you do need mates to play cricket, so I can see the drawback for the typical sports-game fan.

Basketball Games.
Woohoo! Run from the end of the court to the other in 3 seconds, throw the ball and score! Or miss and run back the other way for 3 seconds.
*applauds slowly*
Way to utilise 21st century entertainment, playing a computerised version of netball for boys.

So, in summary, sports games suck and are played by slack-jawed geeks too puny to attempt it for real in case someone looks at you getting changed afterwards.
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Whatever!"
grumpyboyquinton wrote:
> i know everyone seems to hate snooker here, but world championship snooker 2002
> was a gem i stumbled upon last year.

please dont laugh

give it a try you
> will be surprised

I absolutely agree - World Championship Snooker 2002 is one of the most realistic sports games Ive ever played and one of the most addictive!!
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:39
Regular
sorry about the double post
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:37
Regular
i know the hate for snooker continues to be a subject but last year i stumbled upon a little gem called world championship snooker 2002. the career mode is surprisingly effective and addictive.

please dont laugh

try it you will be suprised.
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:30
Regular
i know everyone seems to hate snooker here, but world championship snooker 2002 was a gem i stumbled upon last year.

please dont laugh

give it a try you will be surprised
Fri 01/03/02 at 16:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
I can see what you're saying about Cricket games though, but Cricket
> just sux.

What an ignorant observation.

There's nothing better than a good game of cricket. Maybe test matches can be dull, but one days are good, and playing it's a lot of fun too. I actually hit a couple of fours in a match last week, amazingly enough. :D Usually I just defend the whole time.

Anyway, I don't mind sports game. I like football sims, especially TIF 2002. It's a good feeling when you score an absolutely fantastic goal, even if it is only a game.

Formula 1 games are pretty good too, high-speed action packed racing (at least, going backwards it is.)

Cricket games I don't mind, although my dad spends hours on Brian Lara Cricket.
Fri 01/03/02 at 11:42
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I play Formula 1 games because I like Formula 1. I can't exactly go out, jump in my F1 car and go race some other people round my neighbourhood can I?
Fri 01/03/02 at 08:23
Regular
"not dead"
I don't know, sports games, like puzzle games, are good for that quick 10 minute go to fill the time whilst the wife does her make-up, or just before dinner when you've got a few minutes, and fancy a quick game.

Other than that there's the challenge factor. Someone has created a game, and it must be beaten.

Really, though, it's the multiplayer side of things where the appeal lies, as it's quick and easy to get into, everyone knows the rules, and it's a laugh.
Fri 01/03/02 at 01:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
True...

I used to be damn good at football, only because it avoided me getting beat up.

I scored six goals in one match for my club and one a penality but that moron in my time punched me and then he took it and missed.

Sleep now.
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
My parents forced me to play badminton. I got really good at it - so scarily good that I used to play for Essex! Why hasn't there ever been a badminton game?
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:11
Regular
Football games are good. I'd much rather play a console game against my mates than freeze my balls off on a muddy pitch while I attempt to and fail to kick the ball straight, call me lazy but i'm not a sporty person, probably cause of the state my lungs are in but that's not the point, actually playing Football sux infact Sport in general sux,but the games are good.

How often can you go down the park and take your team to the top of the premiership and win the FA Cup?

I can see what you're saying about Cricket games though, but Cricket just sux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.