GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sports Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 23:52
Regular
What's the point?

Football/Rugby/Gold etc etc, you can go outside and do these, so why are they so popular?
Is it because it allows those without skill to participate?
Come on, kicking a ball with your foot doesn't exactly require much technique does it?
(a) Strike ball with foot
(b) Repeat
I could be a Premier league footballer if I wanted to, but I've never had the urge, therefore never practised and therefore never have been.
Well, that and I can count and write my name without going over the edges of the boxes.

I can see the appeal of multiplayer Olympic type games, because it's a male thing to engage in competition with your male companions, it establishes a dominance and pecking order.
That's what being a bloke is about, being better than another bloke at something.

But why play these things by yourself?
Why, when you can explore new worlds and command armies of thousands of men, would you choose to play a sports game?
To me, that indicates a lack of aspiration or imagination.
But then again, could be the reason you're playing a sports game in the 1st place - because you can't read the manual for Civilisation 3 without your lips hurting after a while.

Cricket Games.
Jesus Christ, spare me.
It's bad enough that people actually play this for real, spending days whacking a ball to the edge of a field and running 13ft to the wicket and back again.
And they get busted for cheating. How do they cheat? Do they take steroids? Do the knobble the opposition?
No, they rub dirt into the seam of a ball.
HOLY EXCITEMENT BATMAN!
But I've seen cricket games on the shelves, so I know some muppet will buy it and play it inside.
All by themselves.
Then again, you do need mates to play cricket, so I can see the drawback for the typical sports-game fan.

Basketball Games.
Woohoo! Run from the end of the court to the other in 3 seconds, throw the ball and score! Or miss and run back the other way for 3 seconds.
*applauds slowly*
Way to utilise 21st century entertainment, playing a computerised version of netball for boys.

So, in summary, sports games suck and are played by slack-jawed geeks too puny to attempt it for real in case someone looks at you getting changed afterwards.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What's the point?

Football/Rugby/Gold etc etc, you can go outside and do these, so why are they so popular?
Is it because it allows those without skill to participate?
Come on, kicking a ball with your foot doesn't exactly require much technique does it?
(a) Strike ball with foot
(b) Repeat
I could be a Premier league footballer if I wanted to, but I've never had the urge, therefore never practised and therefore never have been.
Well, that and I can count and write my name without going over the edges of the boxes.

I can see the appeal of multiplayer Olympic type games, because it's a male thing to engage in competition with your male companions, it establishes a dominance and pecking order.
That's what being a bloke is about, being better than another bloke at something.

But why play these things by yourself?
Why, when you can explore new worlds and command armies of thousands of men, would you choose to play a sports game?
To me, that indicates a lack of aspiration or imagination.
But then again, could be the reason you're playing a sports game in the 1st place - because you can't read the manual for Civilisation 3 without your lips hurting after a while.

Cricket Games.
Jesus Christ, spare me.
It's bad enough that people actually play this for real, spending days whacking a ball to the edge of a field and running 13ft to the wicket and back again.
And they get busted for cheating. How do they cheat? Do they take steroids? Do the knobble the opposition?
No, they rub dirt into the seam of a ball.
HOLY EXCITEMENT BATMAN!
But I've seen cricket games on the shelves, so I know some muppet will buy it and play it inside.
All by themselves.
Then again, you do need mates to play cricket, so I can see the drawback for the typical sports-game fan.

Basketball Games.
Woohoo! Run from the end of the court to the other in 3 seconds, throw the ball and score! Or miss and run back the other way for 3 seconds.
*applauds slowly*
Way to utilise 21st century entertainment, playing a computerised version of netball for boys.

So, in summary, sports games suck and are played by slack-jawed geeks too puny to attempt it for real in case someone looks at you getting changed afterwards.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I saw a Gary Kasparov chess game the other day in EB. They really tried to talk it up, like it was worth paying £20 to play a game that costs about a fiver to buy in real life.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I don't really play sports games much on my own. Usually play mates before or after pub and that is about it.

I played a lot of football but my ankle injury got worse (Had my achilles tendon cut and stretched as a baby) and I had to stop playing for a year and I did tend to play footy games for a bit then.

I think multiplayer options are the key to sports games, something to beat your mates at and be the best and all that junk.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
Excitebike64 rules.

Thats all I have to say on this subject.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:59
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Track and Field is awesome. The way me and me mates played it probably used as much energy as going in a field and actually chucking a javelin. Have any of you ever got over 100m on javelin, or 7 seconds in the 100m sprint?
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:01
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The daily Thompson game was the best. You had to shuggle the joystick to make him run faster. Only problem was most joysticks couldn't hack it and would snap or just cease to work.
Those were the good old days :)
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:04
Regular
Football games
I hate football games..what is the sodding point?
You live near a park with a giant field yet you decide to play on fifa 2046.
'oh the graphics are reaallly realistic'

MORE REAL THAN ACTUALLY KICKING A BALL YOUR SODDING SELF!?

Every year a new football game is released,they say it has better graphics,gameplay and new team blah blah blah
How in gods name can you improve a football game? its same game everytime?!!

classic example... Fifa 2002..crap compared to 2001
so I've been told

I don't know or care whether any of that made sense or not but what i was trying to say is..

Football games suck.
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:07
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Never been a big fan of sports games myself. Part of the reason I think, is that most sports are essentially team games. You can never really simulate that on a single player game, which then leaves the game feeling somewhat hollow.

There's always the chance to mess around with things you can't (or aren't willing) to do in real life though... like Ice hockey, boxing, etc.

The main problem with most sports sims, is that the game is fitted to a sport, not the other way around.

If you did it the other way around... and thought of what would make a good sports video game, then chose a sport to fit it, you'd end up with Speedball.
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:07
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, but there's always a gang of 12 year olds who are better than me and could kick my ass.
Fri 01/03/02 at 00:11
Regular
Football games are good. I'd much rather play a console game against my mates than freeze my balls off on a muddy pitch while I attempt to and fail to kick the ball straight, call me lazy but i'm not a sporty person, probably cause of the state my lungs are in but that's not the point, actually playing Football sux infact Sport in general sux,but the games are good.

How often can you go down the park and take your team to the top of the premiership and win the FA Cup?

I can see what you're saying about Cricket games though, but Cricket just sux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.