GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GC - Don't worry!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 19:47
Regular
We are all very dissapointed to see how the Legend of Zelda should appear on the GameCube sometime next year, and even more so to realise that we sadly won't be seeing Link and co. in that superbly-stunning graphical appearence witnessed at E3 last year. There are still a lot of people on these forums that feel the game won't be as good, mainly because of it's appearence, and think it will fail in time.

I admit that I am dissapointed with it's appearence, and I was expecting and would've loved something more like the E3 footage, but I still think that we must have faith in Nintendo, and have no doubts over it, no matter how bad it looks!

Remember when Zelda first came out on the N64??
The whole game looked like a whole new experience! The graphics and style of gameplay were a whole lot different, and we all loved it! And the success of Ocarina of Time was followed up with a sequel of Majora's Mask, also a top-class game!
So who's to say something similar CANNOT happen with Zelda GC??
I think it's possible, like with the first N64 game, the graphics are a whole lot different, and the control system should differ slightly to that of the legendary N64 titles. So we should again be getting something new and different from Nintendo. And I think it should be great, even if it is gunna fall under the category of Ninty's new 'Short n' Sweet' policy!

All you have to do to realise the potential that this game has is to look at the previous games in the long running series, and then think that the 128-bit GameCube brings it up another full level in standards!
Go back to the start, when the 'Legend of Zelda' was just a 2-D side-scrolling game on the NES. People must have had strong feelings for this game, otherwise I don't think it'd be where it is today!
It then went on to a top-down view, which helped to improve the RPD-Adventure elements of the game, when it reached the SNES and GameBoy Colour formats.
And with the N64, another 'chance' was taken, as Shigsy and co. decided that they'd use the N64's full potential, and create not just one, but 2 MASSIVE epic-titles, that would stun and amaze their gaming audience!

So as you can see, each time Nintendo have made changes to a Zelda game, as the series reaches a new format, they've always worked out for the best! So why on Earth would it change if it's going onto a newer and greater console, yet again!!???

Nintendo surely cannot be going wrong if they are trying out something that's pretty new to most games developers! The only other game I can think of that uses this 'cell-shading' technique is 'Cell Damage', which will be released on both GameCube and X-box.
By using this new style, not only would Nintendo be doing something that rivals are yet to experiment with, I think that this 'cartoony-look' adds the slight possibility as to wether a highly-anticipated Zelda Adventure-Film could be created in a Disney-style cartoony look!
But of course, we'd all prefer to see a Zelda film in a more realistic appearence, like Final Fantasy, it's RPG rival!

So if we give it time, look at the success of other Zeldas, and then eventually go on to play the new one, we could all be plesantly surprised!

Aswell as having high expectations for the new GameCube Zelda, I also think that the portable GBA version should also definitley be one to look out for!

I'm also glad to see that al this talk of how bad Zelda looks has all died down in this forum. Or is it this forum that's dying??
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We are all very dissapointed to see how the Legend of Zelda should appear on the GameCube sometime next year, and even more so to realise that we sadly won't be seeing Link and co. in that superbly-stunning graphical appearence witnessed at E3 last year. There are still a lot of people on these forums that feel the game won't be as good, mainly because of it's appearence, and think it will fail in time.

I admit that I am dissapointed with it's appearence, and I was expecting and would've loved something more like the E3 footage, but I still think that we must have faith in Nintendo, and have no doubts over it, no matter how bad it looks!

Remember when Zelda first came out on the N64??
The whole game looked like a whole new experience! The graphics and style of gameplay were a whole lot different, and we all loved it! And the success of Ocarina of Time was followed up with a sequel of Majora's Mask, also a top-class game!
So who's to say something similar CANNOT happen with Zelda GC??
I think it's possible, like with the first N64 game, the graphics are a whole lot different, and the control system should differ slightly to that of the legendary N64 titles. So we should again be getting something new and different from Nintendo. And I think it should be great, even if it is gunna fall under the category of Ninty's new 'Short n' Sweet' policy!

All you have to do to realise the potential that this game has is to look at the previous games in the long running series, and then think that the 128-bit GameCube brings it up another full level in standards!
Go back to the start, when the 'Legend of Zelda' was just a 2-D side-scrolling game on the NES. People must have had strong feelings for this game, otherwise I don't think it'd be where it is today!
It then went on to a top-down view, which helped to improve the RPD-Adventure elements of the game, when it reached the SNES and GameBoy Colour formats.
And with the N64, another 'chance' was taken, as Shigsy and co. decided that they'd use the N64's full potential, and create not just one, but 2 MASSIVE epic-titles, that would stun and amaze their gaming audience!

So as you can see, each time Nintendo have made changes to a Zelda game, as the series reaches a new format, they've always worked out for the best! So why on Earth would it change if it's going onto a newer and greater console, yet again!!???

Nintendo surely cannot be going wrong if they are trying out something that's pretty new to most games developers! The only other game I can think of that uses this 'cell-shading' technique is 'Cell Damage', which will be released on both GameCube and X-box.
By using this new style, not only would Nintendo be doing something that rivals are yet to experiment with, I think that this 'cartoony-look' adds the slight possibility as to wether a highly-anticipated Zelda Adventure-Film could be created in a Disney-style cartoony look!
But of course, we'd all prefer to see a Zelda film in a more realistic appearence, like Final Fantasy, it's RPG rival!

So if we give it time, look at the success of other Zeldas, and then eventually go on to play the new one, we could all be plesantly surprised!

Aswell as having high expectations for the new GameCube Zelda, I also think that the portable GBA version should also definitley be one to look out for!

I'm also glad to see that al this talk of how bad Zelda looks has all died down in this forum. Or is it this forum that's dying??
Thu 28/02/02 at 21:25
"penguins in hawaii?"
Personally, i would have liked a game that was like the E3 demo, but i welcome the new aspect of the zelda game willingly. It is going to be an original game in the sense that it won't be pushing the GC to it's full power. X-box games will all be concentrated on to make sure the graphics look the best they can. Microsoft are trying to make a console that looks good but has poor gameplay (going by the demo of gotham racing i would say Nintendo has nothing to worry about)

Anyway, the new zelda game will, i believe, be a great success when gamers accept it.
Thu 28/02/02 at 21:35
Regular
Solskjær_24 wrote:
All you have to do to realise the potential that
> this game has is to look at the previous games in the long running series, and
> then think that the 128-bit GameCube brings it up another full level in
> standards!

You know, the Gamecube is only 64-bit.

But that doesnt matter anyway....For example, the X-box uses a Pentuim 3 which is only 32-bit. "bits" dont mean a thing these days...
Fri 01/03/02 at 06:57
Regular
One thing I have realised about GC Zelda is how much the anticipation levels have risen since the new cel shaded style was released. As a massive fan of the Zelda series I was looking forward to the E3 version anyway, but I couldn't get rid of the lingering feeling at the back of my mind that said 'won't it just be Ocarina of Time with updated graphics?'.

Now we all know that Nintendo are not the sort of company to rest on their laurels and release a graphical update. Sure, if they did that it would undoubtedly still sell millions and be met by critical acclaim but one thing I have admired about Nintendo (and I'm sure many others of you do as well) is their reluctance to do that and their desire to constantly improve.

As a result the new look for Zelda has got fans talking about the series again. Rather than saying 'Look at the Zelda graphics' people are saying 'how will the new style affect gameplay?','will Ganondorf make an appearence' and 'what were those strange looking pig thingys? Talking about it only heightens the desire to play it, and as they say the best form of publicity is by word of mouth.
Anticiption is reaching boiling point and I for one am dying to play it. So I agree with Solskjaer_24, don't worry, Nintendo know what they're doing.
Fri 01/03/02 at 09:18
I've always liked the Cel Shaded style. Still shots it obviously looks poor but once you see it in motion you realise how brilliant it is. I can't wait to see the alterations Shig has made to Link's eyes! And when you consider the Cel Shaded IN GAME shots were shown in August 2001, it will be interesting to see just how brilliant it will be by E3 in May (where it will be in playbale form).

This game promises to be a true classic. A fully interactive dark cartoon epic (and available December 2002 for us importers tee hee).
Fri 01/03/02 at 09:19
oh and I would be very surprised if the controls differ much from the N64 version. The early Spaceworld video showed the same N64 style button layout in the top right corner. The only variation might be Manual Jumping instead of auto jump and some sort of stealth mode.
Fri 01/03/02 at 09:20
And another thing...Zelda does NOT fall under Nintendo's short and sweet policy.
Fri 01/03/02 at 10:00
Regular
"not dead"
GrimMetal wrote:
> And another thing...Zelda does NOT fall under Nintendo's short and sweet
> policy.

True, yeah, I read a quote from Shigeru Miyamoto saying that it didn't.

Realistic graphics are one thing, but I'd rather have more interation with characters and environment, and if this can be achieved better with this look, then it's for the best.
Fri 01/03/02 at 11:52
Regular
RM18 wrote:

As a massive fan of the
> Zelda series I was looking forward to the E3 version anyway, but I couldn't get
> rid of the lingering feeling at the back of my mind that said 'won't it just be
> Ocarina of Time with updated graphics?'.

Yep, me too.

Besides, although E3's demo looked neat there and then, it probably would've looked really corny and dodgy as a game with a bunch of plastacine looking characters trying to do facial expressions and static, characterless enemies.

Looking at the moblins (I'm assuming those big boar things are moblins) on the Cel Shaded version, this games is going to be brimming with character, fast action and just because the graphics are cartoony, don't expect a cute sunny storyline.

It'll be dark, just as dark as any other Zelda, only compare the darkness of a Dragon Ball Z episode to say Cubix.
CGI darkness (Cubix) would look obviously fake and artificial and plain corny.
In DBZ (cartoony), it doesn't exactly look real, but it gives the right impression and atmosphere.

Shigsy knows EXACTLY what he's doing!
Fri 01/03/02 at 12:16
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> GrimMetal wrote:
> And another thing...Zelda does NOT fall under Nintendo's
> short and sweet
> policy.

True, yeah, I read a quote from Shigeru
> Miyamoto saying that it didn't.

Realistic graphics are one thing, but I'd
> rather have more interation with characters and environment, and if this can be
> achieved better with this look, then it's for the best.

I am so glad thats true. I could think of nothing worse than a short Zelda game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.