GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Myths"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/13 at 13:46
"possibly impossible"
Scanning the newspapers while I made lunch at work today, I noticed G2's article on debunking myths like 'you are never more than 6 feet from a Rat' or 'You can fit the population of the planet, shoulder to shoulder, on the Isle of Wight'

With these now debunked, I thought there might be a gap in the universe where widely accepted myths used to live, so why not come up with our own?

To work, they have to be fairly believable, though obviously untrue at the same time.

My first effort:

90% of women on internet forums are actually men.
Fri 03/05/13 at 22:50
"possibly impossible"
UKIP have more than one policy that doesn't involve Europe being the problem.
Fri 03/05/13 at 22:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
I do a bit of cycling and I know some guys who I now refuse to ride with, they insist on riding 3 abreast on busy main roads and will signal, then manoeuvre because they feel they have right of way. In my book a car/van/lorry always has the right of way as any \'disagreement\' is unlikely to end well for the cyclist...

You're still vexed Chas ...

@pete ... riding 2 abreast wasn't acceptable in my cycling days! If nothing was approaching then 2 abreast was ok, but as soon as a vehicle was heard, single file was always engaged and I think that this is still the 'law of the road' ...

Strange that this 'topic' has reared its head. I mentioned the same thing to someone a few weeks ago and we both agreed on 'todays' answer to the cyclist .... 'deliberate wing-clipping' ... keeps and reminds them of their place on the public highway, which is a conundrum, as it's actually paid for by responsible motorised road users and also unresponsible motorised road users who also own a push bike and think that they can play League of Legends in their spandex every sunny weekend to cause total mayhem and destruction on the roads and in the countryside ... but it's sport and healthy and I look cool in spandex ;¬)
Fri 03/05/13 at 20:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
I do a bit of cycling and I know some guys who I now refuse to ride with, they insist on riding 3 abreast on busy main roads and will signal, then manoeuvre because they feel they have right of way. In my book a car/van/lorry always has the right of way as any 'disagreement' is unlikely to end well for the cyclist...
Fri 03/05/13 at 19:44
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Chas ... something vexes thee?

Ummm...

Not really...

Other than cyclists and their myths...
For example...

A bullet shaped helmet and skin-tight lycra really WILL make you go faster, Mr. Average Joe!

Cycling on a path is perfectly acceptable because "roads are dangerous".

Traffic lights don't apply to cyclists. Unless a motorist runs a red one.
Fri 03/05/13 at 19:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Chas ... something vexes thee?
Fri 03/05/13 at 18:11
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Quorn has exactly the same texture and taste as real meat.

Chicken tastes just like crocodile. Or crocodile-style Quorn.

An atom-thin layer of chocolate on a diet snack bar entitles the manufacturer to actually call it chocolate. This is in no way misleading.

Chocolate for breakfast is good for you. Preferably on toast. Or a low fat cereal.

Chocolate covered cereal can still be classed as low fat providing the chocolate covering is atom-thin. This is in no way misleading.

Modern art requires talent. Or a messy room... bricks... old tyres...

A footballer is clearly worth more than a small country. Just because his weekly pay would fund the welfare of an entire nation for a year (with water at £2 per month, you could give them a lake!) does not mean that he is in any way overpaid. Football is a strenuous and demanding career and necessary for the entire world's welfare. Without football, economies would collapse, war would be rife and nobody would ever be happy again.

Water is £2 per month (my TV told me so).

World economies are not collapsing (my TV told me so).

Nuclear weapons are a great deterrent, and clearly worth spending money on. Probably as much money as a middle of the road footballer...(my TV told me so)

TV never lies. Like the internet, it is the fount of all knowledge, a port of call for all those seeking wisdom and enlightenment. Or football.
Wed 01/05/13 at 19:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Blondes prefer convertables ...

.... with the top down, of course
Wed 01/05/13 at 11:07
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Sonic Chris wrote:
99% of statistics in this thread are made-up.

Well 68% of people know this!
Tue 30/04/13 at 19:09
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Similarly, the "Sprinkle a loose, pretend road surface liberally and allow passing motorists to form it into a real road" approach provides a much harder wearing and longer-lived surface.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no danger to vehicle, driver or passing pedestrian.

EDIT:
I tried a similar thing the last time I decorated....

Threw random strings of wool on the floor...
...A handful of tacks....

Still waiting for it to become a carpet.
Tue 30/04/13 at 19:05
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
The new "String Vest" approach to tarmac on local roads, whereby the actual tarmac is evenly distributed between holes of varying size and shape, is entirely intentional; it actually provides a safer surface for driving on, with increased grip and comfort, particularly for cars with small wheels, cyclists and motorbikes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.