GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick question to you GBA import players..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/12/02 at 11:30
Regular
I'm right in assuming any GBA will play any cart aren't I? Or have Nintendo decided to start adding regional lockdown to their handheld systems as well?

Reason I ask is that I'm buying a GBA as a gift for a family member's christmas present, and they've tested a few of the games via an emulator, telling me which ones they like out of them - I'm going to get two of those. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland was one of the games, but it hasn't been released in the UK yet, and I've found a stockist in the USA who can ship it to arrive within 2-3days; I just want to make absolutely sure that it will play on a UK system.

The faster I get a response the better, cheers for any help ;)
Thu 05/12/02 at 23:36
Regular
"NiNtEnDo Fo LyF FoO"
Pointless Babble wrote:
> It ain't for me ;)
> I'm considering getting one for myself, but it can wait until after
> the christmas frenzy methinks... I'm buying Kirby and Spyro: Season of
> Ice to go with this one.

GO BABBLE! KIRBY RULES! but i meant the gifts for your friend..
Thu 05/12/02 at 23:35
"Stupid Newbie :D"
It ain't for me ;)
I'm considering getting one for myself, but it can wait until after the christmas frenzy methinks... I'm buying Kirby and Spyro: Season of Ice to go with this one.
Thu 05/12/02 at 23:21
Regular
"NiNtEnDo Fo LyF FoO"
Babble. I seirously think, That you Should Get Kirby(which i want too) and Metroid for GBA and Ye sit will work in UK :/
Thu 05/12/02 at 23:19
Kirby and Super Monkey Ball both rock muchly... won't quote the obvious titles as they've already been listed, but there's plenty there to sink your teeth into. ;)
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:14
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> Nintendo aren't doing anything for it and so I never play it because
> there is nothing to play.
>
> It would be so cool though.

Nothing to play? Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Breathe of Fire I and II, MarioKart, Super Mario Advance 1, 2, and 3, Ghouls & Ghosts, Zelda on the way...

...and you're saying there's nothing to play? You crazy mentalist! There's more then you can possibly imagine to play!
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:05
"possibly impossible"
The best news is that if you have a Gamecube and GBA you will soon be able to get the great converter lead that will let you play the GBA on your screen. This is miles better than the really expensive cartridge that came out last year to do the same thing, but without the cube.

Some people might already have this, of course, if they imported it.

Oh, and yes, you can play import games, for sure, although you knew that by now, didn't you?
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:43
"Uzi Lover"
Unbeliever wrote:
I love it!

I don't.

Nintendo aren't doing anything for it and so I never play it because there is nothing to play.

It would be so cool though.
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:40
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Yes, you're right. The GBA is compatible with any other type of Gameboy cartridge EVER made. Region-free backwards compatibility - I love it!
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:01
Excellent, cheers. Btw - there'sno such thing as PAL/NTSC when it comes to handheld games, that refers to our television systems, and there's no TV involved with things like the GBA. ;)

Off I scoot to place my order then. ;)
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:00
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Taken from http://www.epinions.com/content_21995490948

"Over there, Over here?

Hardcore gamers know the problem. All the good games come out “over there” first. Some never make the trip across the pacific. So we’re always looking to play games that the powers that be say we can’t. The answer usually involves cracking open our systems and tinkering around with solder, chips, and wires. Praying all the time that we don’t fry something important. The GBA is like a little pocket full of love from the import gods. There are no territorial or regional lock outs on it. Any game will play in any unit. Us games on a Japanese GBA? No sweat. Japanese games on a US GBA? Go ahead! Why is this so important to gamers? Because many times those games that DO come over here, are changed. Some times for no apparent reason. Just look at GT Advance for example. They removed the save feature on a game that requires you to unlock over 40 cars, 32 tracks and a dozen upgrades. You just can’t save. The Japanese version has a full save feature in it."

Hope this helps

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.