GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Books then, not just TV and Music, lets talk books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 22:09
Regular
I was off ill from work the other week and decided to read a book i had always wanted to read; 'The Long Hard Road Out of Hell' by Marilyn Manson.

Now before you say Marilyn Manson, he sucks etc etc, I know a lot of people have read this book, people that hate him, people that don't like that type of music etc but the book is really all about the music it's about growing up and coping with fame and faliure. It's actually really really cool.

It gives you an amazing insight in to the whole megastar thing though. I had heard some stuff about bands and their drug and women excess and you think that it's all just blown out of proportion but if this book is to be believed then if anything it's understated!

Anyway there is a part of the book that touches on Satanism and the head minister of the church of Satan Anton LeVay. I was quite interest by what i discovered. I originally thought that Satanism was the worship of the devil and the sacrificing of chickens etc, just like everyone else probably does, but it turns out that this is not true.

If you can be bothered to read any further i'll give you some insight.

Satanism is about worship of yourself and not to a Christian God that there is no real proof of his/her existence. It talks about the natural balance in the world, which is not really as black and white as good and evil. It also talks about the bible and the fact that the stories are fables that were mearly for guidance in hope in trouble times and in order to stop people from commiting deeds that were deemed as evil. How can you follow a book that was written 2000 years ago when the world has change so much since then? The book of Satan was written in a more recent pretence and is probably more relevent today.

I am not advocating Satanism and I am not a Satanist, everything i have written above was just what i read in Marilyn Mansons book but it makes me want to find out more. When books trigger something inside you and make you question the world and find out more about whats out there then that is great. You learn in life by asking questions!

Anyway im done now he he!

------
Polybius, the ancient historian, said:

"Since the multitude is ever fickle, full of lawless desires, irrational passions and violence, there is no other way to keep them in order but by the fear and terror of the invisible world; on which account our ancestors seem to me to have acted judiciously, when they contrived to bring into the popular belief these notions of the gods, and of the infernal regions."
Thu 28/02/02 at 21:27
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Another shout for Rainbow Six here. Definately one of my favourite's by Clancy. I found Withour Remorse very good too, but after reading some other comments, maybe i'll give up on the Bear and the Dragon now.

I'm about 250 pages in. Worth continuing?
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:48
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Reading 'Cradle and All' by James Patterson at the moment. Not great, to be honest.

And I find Clancys stuff rubbish. No originality or personality at all.
Thu 28/02/02 at 17:49
Regular
This week I have been mostly reading Wheel of Time 9: Winter's Heart.
Thu 28/02/02 at 10:11
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
No, it's really annoying but I've been busy this week, going out and stuff. I'm hoping to get a chance to sit down and watch them properly tonight.

Fingers crossed.
Thu 28/02/02 at 10:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
American Scream was excellent.
Read it twice and still re-read bits that make me laugh.

Well recommended.
You seen the videos yet?
Thu 28/02/02 at 10:04
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
What did you make of American Scream Goatboy?

I'm currently re-reading some Euripidies plays, but am balancing out the misery with The Onion books. The funniest paper in the world works brilliantly in paperback colection. It will take me ages to read all three. I can't get more than a few pages through without laughing so much I cry and have to give up.

Seriously, if you like biting satire and social commentary with a touch of downright dumb comedy buy The Onion books. (Despatches from the 10th Circle seems a good place to start).
Thu 28/02/02 at 00:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Christ I think Burroughs is over-rated tosh.
But that's just my opinion. I got that the same day I bought "Crash" by Ballard and never bothered to finish the Burroughs one.

On Jury Duty I have read "No Logo" by Naomi Klein, "Princess Bride" by William Goldman, "American Scream:The Bill Hicks Story" by Cynthia True and "How to Talk Dirty & Influence People" by Lenny Bruce.

Took a couple of Chomsky books with me, but I wasn't in the mood for that.
Thu 28/02/02 at 00:11
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I'm doing an American Literature module for my A-level English, and it basically involves reading lots of American novels. So over the summer we were told to read three and review them. The results were fairly predicatble, being the books the teacher had recommended: "The Great Gatsby", "Catcher in the Rye", etc. One person, however, didn't read anything all through the holidays. Well, nothing apart from Marilyn Manson's autobiography. So while everyone else handed in reviews of fairly well-known books, he handed in his analysis of the autobiography. The teacher, unfortunately, was not familiar with the works of "Mrs. Manson" and so suggested that he read something else.

If you want a challenging book read "the Naked Lunch". Once you get a grip of what's going on it's thought provoking and funny at the same time. But it takes a while to get to grips with.
Wed 27/02/02 at 21:56
Regular
Anyone read the classics thats are Brian Jacques' Redwall?
Wed 27/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Boblin Brown wrote:
>For your information
> Belldandy i have read Dept of Honor and it was great, but >i still think
> Executive Orders was too bloody long and tedious. I >mean, nothing actually
> happens from about Pages 200-800!

How was I supposed to know ?? Besides how can you say nothing happens in 600 pages ! Theres the ebola virus thing set in motion, India join with the bad guys, the daycare place is attacked, the thing with Clarks background, the russians joining with america to track the terrorists, and loads more...... Executive orders is still one of his best, after Rainbow Six, now the Dragon and the bear, that was rubbish.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.