GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box Live + NTL Cable Modem = ???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/12/02 at 11:08
Regular
My NTL cable modem is a Terayon 210.

On the back it has a 10 Base-T ethernet port and USB port.
I use the USB port for my PC.
So if I was to buy an ethernet cable then could I connect my modem to the X-Box through that?

Thanks.
Fri 06/12/02 at 16:09
Yep.
Fri 06/12/02 at 15:42
"Uzi Lover"
Am I right in saying that I need a wire connecting my Cable modem with the Xbox downstairs?
Fri 06/12/02 at 15:39
Ok, a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter, Cable: Cat5 Cross-over at 2m and x-box live starter kit it is.

Thanks for the help everyone. =)
Fri 06/12/02 at 13:28
"High polygon count"
adrian wrote:
> I use 512K ADSL through a USB modem and that works well.

Fair enough. Only quoting what the NTL engineer told me! :-)

They didn't stand to get any more money, because they couldn't provide a network card at the time!
Fri 06/12/02 at 13:12
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Your Olympic Hero wrote:
> Oh yeah.
>
> Is ny old Interface Card NIC ok?
>
> eg. "PCI 10/100 RJ-45 with Boot Rom"

I would have thought so. As long as you connect it via a Crossover cable everthing should be fine. If it doesnt work then you could buy the NIC that you described below.
Fri 06/12/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Assuming that you have the 512k connection (or 600k as they're calling
> it now), you should really be using an Ethernet card anyway, rather
> than the USB connection.

I use 512K ADSL through a USB modem and that works well. Dont forget USB is rated at 12Mbit/s so using only 0.5Mbit/s isnt really stretching the limit. I may upgrade to a Router later on and have my ADSL running into that, then my PC connected via my NIC to the routerand my XBox connected to the router. But the way I do it is fine with no performance leaks.
Fri 06/12/02 at 11:44
Ok.

For a

D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
and a
Cable: Cat5 Cross-over at 2m

its £16.04 including P+P. =)

D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter:

These D-Link Fast Ethernet Cards are 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet adapter cards for PCs equipped with a PCI Bus. Supports Win95, NT, WfW and Unix. Full/Half Duplex operation is auto detected in both 10Base-T & 100Base-TX modes. With NWay auto negotiation, the card automatically detects the connected hub's capability and then connects at the highest possible speed.
When connected to a switch in Full Duplex, the network speed can be increased to 200Mbps, making the adapter an ideal NIC for high speed server deployment.

The boot ROMs are options to be installed on the network adapter's on-board remote boot socket. They contain boot programs that permit diskless workstations to boot from a boot server.

MISPRINT IN DFE530TX USER GUIDE - P5 Contents list mentions WOL cable - DFE530TX does not support WOL and therefore a cable is neither provided or required.

• DFE530TX Easy installation
• Shielded connector for UTP & STP cable
• Connects at either 10 or 100Mbps
• Full Duplex mode for 200Mbps connection
• Support for Windows and Unix
Fri 06/12/02 at 11:35
"High polygon count"
I believe it's "crossover", but I'd wait for someone else to confirm it.
Fri 06/12/02 at 11:32
Yep. Thats about it.
Thanks.

So thats one card and one cable.

Only problem is there seems to be several different RJ-45 cables.

Theres "crossover", "booted" and "patch".

Which one do I need?

Thanks again. =)
Fri 06/12/02 at 11:28
"High polygon count"
adrian's right. I'm on NTL and have the same kit as you, and I distinctly remember reading in the manual for my TJ210 that you can't have both Ethernet and USB port connected at the same time.

Assuming that you have the 512k connection (or 600k as they're calling it now), you should really be using an Ethernet card anyway, rather than the USB connection.

When I applied for my broadband, the engineer I spoke to said that they recommended Ethernet with the high-speed connection because - in their experience - it gave you slightly faster data transfer. He told me that although they both work, they only recommended using USB for the 64k connection.

I would assume that you can have both your PC and Xbox connected to the modem at the same time, provided only one of them is powered up at any given time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.